Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Android General Discussion » Android 4.2 Rumours » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.

hideOriginal Post

Oct 06, 12 at 4:11pmwalnuts

So, it would appear that Google is already looking ahead to 4.2 and a bunch of rumoured changes are on the horizon. You can check them out over here. The biggest rumour that sticks out for me is the possibility of a 'Nexus Program'. Basically, Google convinces all manufacturers to make their own device that follows Nexus guidelines (stock android, minimum hardware requirements such as NFC etc) and then Google pushes out the software updates to everyone. Truly exciting stuff if true!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 11, 12 at 3:36pm
walnuts

Yeah I read that it was bullshit, which is a shame. Like Saga, I'm a bit tired of the fragmentation of the OS and, in particular the updates, and after a week of using my Mum's Nexus 7 tablet, it is just SO FREAKING AWESOME! So yeah, I've resolved myself to only buy Nexus devices from now on.

Oct 08, 12 at 9:30pm
Nagare

Saga:

tldr: all of it is BS, lol my bad. The guy also gives reasons on why some of them in particular would be hard to implement.

Oct 08, 12 at 9:13pm
Arietta

Nagare do a TL;DR for the part I care about, pretty please?

Oct 08, 12 at 9:12pm
Nagare

Saga, that is why they have the Nexus line. You get the best update schedule and a nice phone at the same time. Also, make sure to look at the spoiler I posted because it debunks the whole thing as a hoax that some (extremely bored, but dedicated) guy put together.

Oct 08, 12 at 9:09pm
Arietta

The "Nexus Program" definitely sounds like a great idea. It could be a great way to "pseudo-standardize" the Android platform. This could be great for both developers as it would be for consumers, since it could decrease the fragmentation of devices and also highlight all the features a Nexus Program phone WILL have, so then you just look for specific features that not all phones have it will be easier to narrow requirements down.

I have always hated the fragmentation and lack of standardization on Android. If this really is true, then I may buy a new Android phone that complies with the "Nexus Program". It would be much more pleasant to write for Nexus Program compliant phones than it currently is to write for a bunch of different devices that have way too many different specs and the whole atmosphere is just fragmented to the point is not really worth it right now.

Oct 08, 12 at 7:14pm
Nagare

walnuts: relevant.

Oct 06, 12 at 4:30pm
Nagare

I've seen some discussion on a few of these points over the past couple of days/weeks and I think the Customization Center might be a key way of getting OEMs on board with the Nexus program. They can differentiate with their software tweaks all they want, but it would all be optional and would allow phones like the S3 and One X to appeal to the more geeky crowd by the choice of having stock Android instead of Touchwiz or Sense.

Never heard about Project Roadrunner until now, but I'm all for battery life enhancements although that might be hard given the wide variety of hardware choices.

Oct 06, 12 at 4:11pm
walnuts

So, it would appear that Google is already looking ahead to 4.2 and a bunch of rumoured changes are on the horizon. You can check them out over here. The biggest rumour that sticks out for me is the possibility of a 'Nexus Program'. Basically, Google convinces all manufacturers to make their own device that follows Nexus guidelines (stock android, minimum hardware requirements such as NFC etc) and then Google pushes out the software updates to everyone. Truly exciting stuff if true!