Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » "Top of the line computer" Needs To Go: Building Gaming Desktop » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 06, 12 at 2:05pm
Zuidy

quote hiigaran
by high performance case, i mean one that cools well, such as the HAF series of cases. they cost more, and they generally have a 'meaner' look (for lack of a better word), rather than a sleek, bright, or otherwise positively aesthetic one (though some, like myself, like that look).

anyway, if youre planning on something around christmas, i dont suggest getting any parts list right now. christmas sales would drive prices down a bit, so its better to come back and ask once the deals begin.
Okee I will bump the thread around then.

And for future reference, I prefer the sleeker look.

Oct 06, 12 at 9:39am
hiigaran

by high performance case, i mean one that cools well, such as the HAF series of cases. they cost more, and they generally have a 'meaner' look (for lack of a better word), rather than a sleek, bright, or otherwise positively aesthetic one (though some, like myself, like that look).

anyway, if youre planning on something around christmas, i dont suggest getting any parts list right now. christmas sales would drive prices down a bit, so its better to come back and ask once the deals begin.

Oct 06, 12 at 8:55am
Zuidy

quote hiigaran
we can take care of selecting the parts for you, but neither you, or we can decide on anything if you dont have a planned purchase date. even then, if it isnt within a few weeks, its much harder to give you a list, because prices change, deals come and go, and of course, new hardware comes out.

so regardless of what you have said, as soon as you have a planned purchase date within the near future, you will need to answer the following:

what is your budget?
what country do you live in (asusming america if you mentioned newegg)
how much hard disk space do you need?
is this a purely gaming build, or will you have other uses for it, such as photoshop or video editing?
do you want to overclock?
is the look or performance of a case important to you, or would you have no issue with a plain and cheap case?

EDIT: oh wait, you want to build a LAPTOP? ahh, when it comes to building laptops, its more expensive than getting the prebuilts, because the market isnt there. if you want a laptop, better to get a prebuilt as it is cheaper. so far, only desktops are cheaper to build.
I would be interested in getting one around Christmas, asking for the parts as gifts.

Budget: Somewhat flexible around $1000, lower if possible while maintaining performance
Hard Disk Space: Nothing outrageous. Around 300 GB.
Purpose: Mainly for gaming, but not to be left out are surfing the web, downloading things, and perhaps a bit of Photoshop/video editing and the like.
Overclocking: No plans to do so
Case: Well, what is different between a "high performance" case or "cheap" case? I really don't matter as long as my performance isn't affected too much.

Also, no, I want to build a desktop.

__

Thanks!

__

Oct 06, 12 at 7:48am
hiigaran

we can take care of selecting the parts for you, but neither you, or we can decide on anything if you dont have a planned purchase date. even then, if it isnt within a few weeks, its much harder to give you a list, because prices change, deals come and go, and of course, new hardware comes out.

so regardless of what you have said, as soon as you have a planned purchase date within the near future, you will need to answer the following:

what is your budget?
what country do you live in (asusming america if you mentioned newegg)
how much hard disk space do you need?
is this a purely gaming build, or will you have other uses for it, such as photoshop or video editing?
do you want to overclock?
is the look or performance of a case important to you, or would you have no issue with a plain and cheap case?

EDIT: oh wait, you want to build a LAPTOP? ahh, when it comes to building laptops, its more expensive than getting the prebuilts, because the market isnt there. if you want a laptop, better to get a prebuilt as it is cheaper. so far, only desktops are cheaper to build.

Oct 06, 12 at 6:10am
Zuidy

Hello everyone.

My current "gateway" to the world of online gaming and entertainment is a Toshiba Satellite C655D-020031.

I haven't bothered to upgrade this laptop with any new hardware. It was a gift and hadn't been looked at in means of performance when purchased.

Now, I am realizing how bad things are with this computer.

A few reasons I have a right to complain:

1: Only 2 GB of RAM

2: A SINGLE-CORE Processor? Most new computers will have at least a dual-core if I am not mistaken.

3: Something has to be messed up with the charger. I swear to god I can't run much to do with video games if I'm plugged into the AC adapter.

___

Additional specs:

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 series graphics card
AMDv140 Processor clocked at 2.30 GHz
__

I can't think if there is something else I should add, but if you look up the model number I specified above you should be able to see everything.

___

Now to what I WANT to do.

I would like to build a new PC designed for performance, yet so it can allow me to surf the Internet and download things at a fast pace as well. So mainly for gaming performance, but also for entertainment purposes, slightly.

A few things I would like to know:

1: What is everything I should get to put into this PC? Video card, processor, amount of RAM, the whole package.

2: Where should I look into purchasing parts? I hear Newegg is a good resource.

3: Anything I need to know before I go into building a new laptop.

__

Budget:

Not sure, I can decide later. I won't be purchasing parts for a while, I'd just like to have an idea.

__

Thanks everyone!