Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Portable SSD » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 06, 12 at 2:57amwalnuts

Hi guys,

Well, I've decided to get myself a new portable hard drive, and I'm thinking of going 21st Century and having a SSD as my portable. However, I've had terrible trouble finding any here in Australia, so I've decided to 'build my own'. I just need some advice on whether the parts I've selected will fit together, and whether or not the SSD I've selected is any good or not.

Here are my parts:

SSD

Enclosure

So yeah, any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Tagging a few dudes who I reckon know a thing or two about computers:

VeGiTAX2 hiigaran Chekkaa Saga The Slayer Ren of Heavens

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 08, 12 at 3:45pm
biomed

If money is no object and you need the speed then fine go for it but...

Why spend $400.00 on a 480GB SSD external hard drive when you can buy a conventional 500B external HDD for $60.00 or so? Buy another at $60.00 and you've the added benefit of a safe back up!

Oct 08, 12 at 1:41pm
hiigaran

you would need to really abuse a hard drive to damage it when it is off. they are really only sensitive when they are running. while they are off, the heads are parked, so that microscopic gap they have between the heads and the platters arent there, as they move off of the platters.

Oct 08, 12 at 12:23pm
Randome

But if it's suppose to be portable, then a SSD is way better, because it's less effected by being dropped, or shaken.

Oct 06, 12 at 9:41am
hiigaran

theres that point as well. you need to think about whether or not you really need that kind of performance for what you are intending on using it for. long term storage, such as what harbin mentioned will make the SSD a waste of money.

Oct 06, 12 at 9:12am
harbin

Depends on what he needs the SSD for. If it's just plain file storage (music, videos) you're better off with a harddrive.

Oct 06, 12 at 7:53am
hiigaran

as long as they are both SATA (which they are), they will always be compatible, so youre good to go. whether or not that SSD is the best choice, im not sure. i dont have the time right now to look through the list and compare, so perhaps someone else could do that.

Oct 06, 12 at 2:57am
walnuts

Hi guys,

Well, I've decided to get myself a new portable hard drive, and I'm thinking of going 21st Century and having a SSD as my portable. However, I've had terrible trouble finding any here in Australia, so I've decided to 'build my own'. I just need some advice on whether the parts I've selected will fit together, and whether or not the SSD I've selected is any good or not.

Here are my parts:

SSD

Enclosure

So yeah, any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Tagging a few dudes who I reckon know a thing or two about computers:

VeGiTAX2 hiigaran Chekkaa Saga The Slayer Ren of Heavens