Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » The Lobby » Aliens / Extra-terrestrial life forms » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.Note: The ethos of the forum we're attempting to cultivate is one of mutual respect for each other as well as the promotion of interesting conversation in a mature, yet casual, environment. We ask posters to keep this aim in mind whenever making a contribution here.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 05, 12 at 12:26pmLOD-squa

Since we as humans, are always trying to find signs of life form within the Universe(eg Mars with the little rovers experiment once more). We have portrayed them as simple organisms that want to destroy everything in their paths but in some instances they are just normal organisms that just want to interact with other life forms to find out more about them. This raises the question do you guys believe that there are other life forms out there? Would they be not as advanced as we are? Or even more advanced than we currently are?

I personally believe that there are other life forms out there and they could range from not advanced to advanced. But I don't want to be closed minded and say that we're the only organisms in this universe. However, it would be nice to see in my life time something that shows us that there is something out there.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 31, 12 at 4:43am
Short Circuit

quote KR_1250
Ehhh, in name only. We know it resdes within a reachable region because light reaches us through the same almost perfect vaccum as it does other nearby galaxies without any distortion. Travelling through any other medium would change the wavelength and frequency of the light.
Right, I hadn't thought about that.

Oct 30, 12 at 12:20am
KR_1250

quote Short Circuit
If there are multiple universes layered together, what exactly counts as a boundary? What's the difference between one universe and another? There can't be a wall, or barrier.
Yeah you are quite right. Its cheating to say the multiverse theory would aswer any questions. because it would raise way more. Also all of these questions about the universes origins and boundaries would simply be applied to the 'multiverse' aswell. It wouldnt answer a thing LOL.

For all we know, the Andromeda galaxy could be in a different universe.
Ehhh, in name only. We know it resdes within a reachable region because light reaches us through the same almost perfect vaccum as it does other nearby galaxies without any distortion. Travelling through any other medium would change the wavelength and frequency of the light.

Oct 29, 12 at 12:17pm
Short Circuit

quote KR_1250
I like the idea of the multiverse. It puts alot of these questions to bed.

Does it have an edge? Yes. The next universe.
Is there an empty "outside"? No the gaps are filled with other universes.
Where is the universe? In the multiverse.
Is it infinite? No and yes. This perticular universe is not infinite but the multiverse is.
How many others are there? Infinite others.

All seems a bit too conveniant though LOL. And one thing will remain stable, that is as you said Short Circuit that there is an inconceavable amount of space.

I think that sentiment will stand regardless of the true answers.
If there are multiple universes layered together, what exactly counts as a boundary? What's the difference between one universe and another? There can't be a wall, or barrier. For all we know, the Andromeda galaxy could be in a different universe.

Oct 29, 12 at 6:24am
KR_1250

quote Short Circuit
I wonder if the universe is infinite. Does it have an end, edge or wall? What would be the difference between the space of the universe, and an empty outside?

Where is the universe? If it's really NOT infinite (a bubble universe), then where is it located? How many other universes are there? It's such an inconceivable amount of space.
I like the idea of the multiverse. It puts alot of these questions to bed.

Does it have an edge? Yes. The next universe.
Is there an empty "outside"? No the gaps are filled with other universes.
Where is the universe? In the multiverse.
Is it infinite? No and yes. This perticular universe is not infinite but the multiverse is.
How many others are there? Infinite others.

All seems a bit too conveniant though LOL. And one thing will remain stable, that is as you said Short Circuit that there is an inconceavable amount of space.

I think that sentiment will stand regardless of the true answers.

Oct 29, 12 at 6:21am
hiigaran

who knows? i mean on one hand, the only thing that can ever be truly infinitesimal, is numbers. on the other hand, space is a vacuum. nothingness with a few planets, stars, and flying rocks here and there. one could argue that it is possible to have an infinite amount of nothingness.

Oct 29, 12 at 4:33am
Short Circuit

I wonder if the universe is infinite. Does it have an end, edge or wall? What would be the difference between the space of the universe, and an empty outside?

Where is the universe? If it's really NOT infinite (a bubble universe), then where is it located? How many other universes are there? It's such an inconceivable amount of space.

Oct 29, 12 at 1:31am
KR_1250

quote hiigaran
the size of the OBSERVABLE universe, that is. we can quantify it all we want, but we will never be able to imagine the sheer size of the universe. hell, i doubt anyone can imagine the size of a single galaxy.
I certainly cant. It is so difficult for a human to trully understand the scale of even our own sun. I spend alot of my time trying to mentally map the universe. Its difficult. Impossible.

Oct 28, 12 at 7:57am
hiigaran

the size of the OBSERVABLE universe, that is. we can quantify it all we want, but we will never be able to imagine the sheer size of the universe. hell, i doubt anyone can imagine the size of a single galaxy.

Oct 28, 12 at 6:00am
Aurora

quote thetwilight
The person who does believe that there is life on other planets is just as much, if not more, of a moron. There is no evidence to support his beliefs.

Obviously, you don't want to be saying that you don't believe in something, because it is impossible to prove that something doesn't exist.
There's really nothing wrong with merely "believing" that life exists beyond Earth. The truth is, no one really knows what the probabilities are. And no one is saying there's definitely life out there; they just have a hunch. This doesn't make them "morons."

We know that life has arisen once, so, in my mind, it's not unreasonable to consider the possibility that it could've done so twice, given the size of the Universe.

Oct 26, 12 at 7:03pm
AznLiquid

Our methods of finding planets are incredibly primitive. We only have just recently discovered that our nearest neighboring star actually has a planet. There is probably life out there, but we definitely aren't going to find it with our current technology, or anything we are expected to use in the near future.

Building blocks of DNA have actually been discovered on asteroids. Not hard too imagine that some of those things have landed on other rocks.