Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » SimCity 5 » SimCity video debuts strategy gameplay » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 04, 12 at 7:41amchautemoc

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 07, 12 at 4:56am
Shadow of Death

Since we're all talking about our experiences with the series, I'll mention that I started with Simcity Classic (and revisited it sometime later when it had become freeware or something). I eventually got to experience 2000 a fair bit, and didn't (unfortunately) get much experiences with 3000. Simcity 3000 really impressed me way back in the day XD

By the time I got around to owning Simcity 4 ( relatively recently), it felt rather dated TBH. I still put in a bit of time on it regardless, simply for nostalgia purposes.

The ability to click on random Sims in Simcity 5 reminds me strongly of the Tycoon games (Namely rollercoaster tycoon).

Oct 07, 12 at 3:52am
GregtheGreat

I was at the Eurogamer Expo in London last week and they had a demo version to play on. Was probably the game I was most excited about in all honesty. I grew up playing SimCity from SimCity 2000 onwards so was stoked to get hands on it.

The demo was a pretty simple demonstration of the detail and feel of the game in general, it made you create a power and water supply, lay a highway to link to the outside world then gave you a chance to explore the city already half created. The detail is just fantastic, I was following sims from their homes to their work, was able to click people out playing football on the pitch and got a name and where they're from, really blew me away. Can't wait for this game tbh.

Oct 06, 12 at 5:38am
Dynamite

quote tekmosis
Everyone has more experience with the newer games than I do. I've only played the original.I know that Dynamite will enjoy the video too.
Ha. I still play a variant of the original. What's interesting is if you look at my screenshot compared with the video, you'll see the game has come a long way, sure, but it also remains true to its roots as the fundamentals haven't actually changed much; they've just been built upon and enhanced. This is a good thing as people familiar with the series, I'd imagine, can pick it up rather quick and feel at home right away.

I also like how everyone in the game has goals, etc. That's shows a pretty impressive granular level of detail. Things like surveyors and builders building up lots, moving trucks bringing people in, seeing floods of people embark from the station after a train arrives and whatnot are also really nice touches and will increase immersion in the game, really giving you a sense that you're managing a living, breathing city which is perfect to satiate one's inner megalomaniac that drives us to play a city-building 'god game' to begin with.

Oh, I'm digging the automatic use of roads as a pipe system too because in the originals electrical pylons everywhere looked pretty messy and water pipes were annoying to deal with!

Really stoked for its release.

Oct 06, 12 at 5:18am
AndyD_U

Im happy the water pipes are gone as they were so annoying when playing SC4, i also like the interface which looks very tidy with flashing icons when something is needed.

Oct 05, 12 at 9:45pm
tekmosis

Everyone has more experience with the newer games than I do. I've only played the original.I know that Dynamite will enjoy the video too.

Oct 05, 12 at 11:38am
James Young

I haven't played Sim City since the 3000 edition. This video just sold the product for me, I know that I will give it a bash when it comes out.

Oct 05, 12 at 11:14am
Redemption

quote Hell Fire
Hah, Sim City has come a long way since good ol' Sim City 2000. I enjoyed that video and may actually give it a go when it's released.
My thoughts are the same. I also like that we can stop worrying about building water pipes and connecting power lines, although now it seems they want to pull in more environmental concerns (garbage dumping).

Oct 04, 12 at 9:21pm
Hell Fire

Hah, Sim City has come a long way since good ol' Sim City 2000. I enjoyed that video and may actually give it a go when it's released.

Oct 04, 12 at 7:51pm
Redemption

Wow, I haven't played SimCity since 2000, but it looks like it's come a long way. I'm particularly impressed that now individuals have identity in the game. Also Big Business sounds cool .

Oct 04, 12 at 1:09pm
tekmosis

not only that but he was just doing some very basic stuff, the game seems like it has a lot more complexity to it that we're not seeing. Probably a learn as you play sort of thing.

Like he mentions putting the police in the commercial area, and not putting the waste management near the water tower as it could contaminate the water supply.