Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » ReQuests, Feedback and Suggestions » [Suggestion] Better site implementation to Forums » Post Reply

Note to Guests: This forum is only for issues related to neoseeker.com. Please, do not post questions related to games. RFS is for site related discussion. If you require gaming help, check the forum directory here and search for the correct forum.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 04, 12 at 4:22amHell Fire

I've been writing a few User Reviews lately and I believe many more people would be reading them if they were advertised better. The same goes from Blogs (idea from this thread), site news and Neoseeker content in general.

My suggestion is having a sidebar on the forums so that any new content added in relation to the game is advertised.

The User Review forum has reviews down the side and the platform forums have latest news on the side, but games are just getting neglected.

People are more likely to explore the massive amounts on Neoseeker content if it is easier to access. At the same time, people are more likely to submit content (blogs, user reviews, news) if they can see it being published and open to a wider audience.

This is what it should look like:

NOTE: All content on the side bar will be related to the game. Below is simply an example with generic content.

What do you guys think?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 05, 12 at 9:14am
VeGiTAX2

quote Hell Fire
quote VeGiTAX2
, users feeling it obstructs too far into the forums or that it distracts from their read
I don't understand this. Just about everyone has widescreens these days and the bar only takes up roughly 1/6th of the screen. People don't read much in the forums, it's the threads that contain all the info, and threads will be the exact same. There could easily be a little 'minus' icon that hides the bar anyway. It also seems to be popular in the console forums and as far as I know, there aren't any complaints.

Looking forward to seeing what happens in the future with this.

Just noting past feedback when it was mentioned to think about including Neo News and reviews there a few years back, it might be less of a case but as seen in The Lobby, anything that presents a width change manages to stir up the nest essentially. I agree it would be a better way to provide information to the users but it's getting people out of the level of comfort to current standards that presents the real challenge.

Oct 05, 12 at 4:45am
harbin

Was just using it as an expression.

Oct 05, 12 at 2:31am
Hell Fire

quote VeGiTAX2
, users feeling it obstructs too far into the forums or that it distracts from their read
I don't understand this. Just about everyone has widescreens these days and the bar only takes up roughly 1/6th of the screen. People don't read much in the forums, it's the threads that contain all the info, and threads will be the exact same. There could easily be a little 'minus' icon that hides the bar anyway. It also seems to be popular in the console forums and as far as I know, there aren't any complaints.

Looking forward to seeing what happens in the future with this.

Oct 04, 12 at 9:00pm
VeGiTAX2

Hell Fire

This has been bounced around for a few years now, as far back as the original GG implementation actually when we had latest articles and ratings in the general forums. Response has been a mixed bag for as long as those have been around though, users feeling it obstructs too far into the forums or that it distracts from their read.

While changes are inevitable to the system it might be a while before we see a shift like this. We have moved to promote user reviews to a greater extent by using them as featured content on the front page though. Unfortunately items like Blogs and such didn't make it into the spotlight as much with fluctuating levels of activity. While it's fine to have user reviews refresh slowly, you can't have blogs that rarely update or seem to be composed of results from a handful of authors.

Any system that would go live needs to focus on active content though otherwise we're promoting dead areas, given the proposal it seems like the content blocks to some level would be dynamic anyway which means content could go in or get pulled as needed in respect to traffic.

Oct 04, 12 at 10:13am
Hell Fire

quote harbin91
From what I understand, proper integration is planned eventually
Yeah, I read that somewhere about 2 years ago but I haven't been keeping track of the latest developments and they've been working hard on everything else so I assumed they put it on the low priority list. I think it should definitely be high priority for forum updates.

quote hiigaran
will this only apply to games, movies, and anything else with a profile to it?

Yeah, only for games/movies/books. If there's no user reviews, the heading would still be there with a link saying "Click to write first user review"

It should be displayed something like this:

*3 latest user reviews
*3 latest blogs
*3 latest news pieces
*5 latest content updates

Oct 04, 12 at 8:45am
harbin

From what I understand, proper integration is planned eventually. Not sure when but I imagine it is when Redemption and his cronies has figured out what look blends in, is the easiest to do without breaking stuff, and will probably done on a major update, instead of those minor functionality updates.

Oct 04, 12 at 8:33am
hiigaran

ahh yes, i see. was a bit confusing initially.

will this only apply to games, movies, and anything else with a profile to it? or would they also be in places like the computer forums and the lounges? though i doubt it, as i cant think of a reason they should be there, but i dont know...maybe you have other ideas.

Oct 04, 12 at 8:16am
Hell Fire

quote hiigaran
though if you suggest a sidebar like that, i think all additions to a game should be shown in there, be that screenshots, mods, links, or reviews
Yeah, that's what the 'Other Content' part is for. My example was when someone uploaded 5 screenshots. Clicking the link will take you to the new screenshots. Anything you submit to the games profile will update under that heading.

Oct 04, 12 at 8:14am
hiigaran

im all for more exposure for such things, though if you suggest a sidebar like that, i think all additions to a game should be shown in there, be that screenshots, mods, links, or reviews.

Oct 04, 12 at 4:22am
Hell Fire

I've been writing a few User Reviews lately and I believe many more people would be reading them if they were advertised better. The same goes from Blogs (idea from this thread), site news and Neoseeker content in general.

My suggestion is having a sidebar on the forums so that any new content added in relation to the game is advertised.

The User Review forum has reviews down the side and the platform forums have latest news on the side, but games are just getting neglected.

People are more likely to explore the massive amounts on Neoseeker content if it is easier to access. At the same time, people are more likely to submit content (blogs, user reviews, news) if they can see it being published and open to a wider audience.

This is what it should look like:

NOTE: All content on the side bar will be related to the game. Below is simply an example with generic content.

What do you guys think?