Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning » Just got the game » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 02, 12 at 9:03amYeknom

Hello, all! I finally bought this game, and I must say I really like it! I started with a Varani Rogue, but might change my mind as I continue.

Looking forward to these forums as I think forums are a great source of information!

Any hints/suggestions would be welcome.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 11, 12 at 11:27am
IcarusAbides

Artirtico I know what you mean about Disciple, it's a bit of a non destiny, you just get a mediocre elemental damage and piercing, I would have been better off going for Initiate I think with hindsight but Arcanist is playing very well and I should be able to get Warlock in another three levels or so (I'm 2 off 25 sorcery and 6 off 25 finesse).

Loving the Chakrams in this game, they're so very useful for pushing multiple enemies back and dealing damage at the same time.

Oct 11, 12 at 10:57am
Artirtico

Likewise I didn't intend to delve much into the area of Sorcery on first getting into the game (would've gone pure Rogue initially), but the way in which you could mix magic with regular Rogue-ish combat really appealed on seeing it. The first few swings of my first time with Chakrams sealed the deal that I'd be a Rogue-Mage haha.

From other threads, it looks like you've moved on quite a bit further from the above question now anyway IcarusAbides (very much liking the Arcanist choice), though yeah I'd agree that the choice of destiny early on is pretty loose really. Some of them seem to cover similar ground so aside from obvious choices for pure Sorcerors or Warriors, the rest work a bit more universally overall. The specifics emerge a bit higher up, so it doesn't really matter too much what you go for in the first couple of tiers.

I was nonetheless a bit disappointed in the Disciple destiny - I stuck with Acolyte and Initiate (tier 1 and 2 Sorcery) rather than go for it, despite being of a Rogue-Mage build since the bonuses seemed superior. Arcanist adds quite a bit to it so I did go for that and then Warlock onwards makes the Rogue-Mage line by far my favourite in the game

Oct 06, 12 at 4:20pm
IcarusAbides

Sorry for the double post:

I'm now a seeker but I don't know whether to upgrade to the tier 2 magic (Initiate) or stick with seeker. I am using magic a fair bit and my equipped weapons are Primary - Omniblades and Secondary - some fire Chakrams I crafted called Flaming Xenas. Which destiny would I be better off with?

Loving the game so far btw, not sure yet where I would rank it among Dark Souls, Skyrim or Dragon Age.

Oct 05, 12 at 3:40pm
IcarusAbides

Artirtico I agree that the combat system in Skyrim is very simplistic and I much preferred the challenge of Dark Souls over Skyrim. Didn't have time to get into this today as my day off was hijacked but I will be starting tomorrow.

Edit - Started as a Varani planning on a melee build but found myself liking the magic in this game unlike in dragon age or dark souls so I'm currently an acolyte.

Oct 05, 12 at 12:03pm
Yeknom

Oh, wow, I just finished that quest, so I'm sure glad to know that!

Oct 05, 12 at 10:36am
Artirtico

Personally I'm not a fan of Skyrim; the combat is too basic, slow paced and monotonous for me. I'm a Dynasty Warriors fanatic at heart, with the combat in Reckoning being a bit more that way oriented in that it's much more active, fast paced, (potentially) more varied and generally a bit more hack'n'slash (in a good way). So much more exciting
Skyrim certainly does some things better than Reckoning, but ultimately in a game largely revolving around fighting, I need to enjoy the combat system to enjoy the game. That's just me of course.

Great to hear that there're still people picking it up anyhow!

& another 'starter hint' actually: In Gorhart (the first town you come too), you'll encounter the owner of the potions shop Nanne Hanri. On completing a Quest she sets you, she'll give you a discount to her goods. More importantly however, she'll also pay more for anything you sell her; more so than most merchants in the game, so you may as well go to her whenever selling anything in order to make the most gold.

Oct 05, 12 at 4:41am
Yeknom

I've played both, and I think this one is just as entertaining..without the difficulty of Dark Souls! LOL

Oct 04, 12 at 1:57pm
IcarusAbides

Just picked it up today and I intend to give it a go on my day off tomorrow. I'm interested to see how the game compares to Skyrim and Dark Souls.

Oct 04, 12 at 12:50pm
Yeknom

Hey thanks for the info! I'm sure it will be fun the learn "the hard way" too! LOL Glad you mentioned the bugged ability. I will make a note, since usually in RPGs I end up playing each style once at least.

Oct 04, 12 at 10:19am
Artirtico

Great to know you got the game and are enjoying it Yeknom Rogue based characters are my favourites so liking that too hehe

Hmm, there isn't really a right or wrong way to approach this game (aside from y'know... making sure you're killing stuff and not stuff killing you ). Try things out is the best advice I can give; Weapons, Abilities etc; it's about finding what works best for you and what's most enjoyable. You don't want to have to 'reset' your build over and over again since it increases in cost each time you do it, but the option is there so you're free to 'experiment'.

Keep exploring too I guess; the more you look, the more stuff you find, the more Quests you can do, the more experience you get etc. & personally I just like to do everything for completion sake

A couple of pointers I guess: The Ability 'Adrenaline Surge' is bugged, doesn't work and in fact harms you, so basically don't use it (it's in the MIght tree anyway so doubt you have).
Gaining access to a player house (which contains a stash) is very handy, the first of which can be found in the town of Canneroc (in Webwood) after completing the Quest there.
Putting 2 Skill points into Detect Hidden (so only 1 more for you since Varani start with 1 as a racial bonus) is in my opinion by far the best skill bonus in the game. Being able to find 'hidden treasure' practically doubles the amount of loot you have access too, so is definitely something I would highly recommend.

Feel free to ask away if there's anything specifically you want to know more about.

Edit: Ooo, one more: don't ever pay anyone to repair your gear. Buying repair kits (from general stores) and doing it yourself works out soooooooooo much cheaper!