Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

Angel_BL1 Brick_BL1 Claptrap_CL4P-TP Lilith_BL1 Moxxi_BL1 Ned_BL1
Note to Guests: If you are here to request a trade or duplicates please go to the Borderlands 2 Trading Subforum instead, thank you.

hideOriginal Post

Oct 01, 12 at 6:54pmMister Ivanovich

So... Maybe I'm just terrible at playing games like these as a close-range character, but I feel like investing in the Bloodshed skill tree while you play through the game is a bit under powered. No matter how well I try to utilize my abilities (shoot with shotgun then melee attack to maximize damage, shoot before using the Deception ability so I can melee out of it, etc...), it seems that I always seem to be very vulnerable to ANYTHING that has high damage output. Regardless of what type of weapon they have, be it a shotgun or otherwise, if I try to take advantage of my abilities that I've been putting points into, I typically get gunned down in a solid 15 seconds.

To avoid the aforementioned gunning down, I typically end up taking advantage of the shoddy AI and find a spot that the enemies don't walk out of so I can snipe them until they die. But since I've put no points into the sniping tree, whatever it's called, I get no bonuses and I feel like I'm doing my playthrough an injustice by not being a bloodthirsty close-ranger.

Any tips to make me be even more incredibly badass, except... At close range, this time?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 03, 13 at 6:47pm
acidalien

quote MLongfellowDeeds

quote AznLiquid

quote Kommando
Perhaps, but when is it ever necessary to aim that fast in an FPS in the first place?

Here's a good example. Borderlands is a fairly slow-paced FPS (except when dueling), but games like Counter-Strike, Quake, Tribes, all require you to aim and shoot your target in a split second. Controllers have their own advantages, mainly with action-adventure games like Prince of Persia and Batman: AA/AC but aiming with a mouse is a distinct advantage in shooting games.

Console players don't play against PC players, so how is using a mouse a 'distinct advantage'?
He's saying that its an advantage in the fact that much more badass and unique kills can be aquired when played on pc, compared to 360/PS3. On console, kills are the average aim, shoot, lye down, kill when on pc they can be anything like that and stuf like dolphin dive no-scope headshots. I'm not saying these cant be done on console, but they are harder to achieve and rarer.

quote Mister Ivanovich
Any tips to make me be even more incredibly badass, except... At close range, this time?
... my melee zero does 380k damage a hit with the bee shiled, and when im in decaptiion, after throwing some slag kunai I throw the Baby Maker at enemies for 1600k damage and then my decoy shocks them for a further 180k... but this is with the deception skil tree. I think that a full deception skill tree with half the bloodshed tree is beast, but ive never used the sniper tree myself.

Dec 31, 12 at 4:48am
MrGilmoz66

My zero character can hit an upwards of 13 mil. I hit constant 700k on terra with melee. I use the hide of terramorphous and whatever the assault rifle is from the dlc. It does 200% melee. Going down the middle tree till you get the kunai is better in my opinion because half the time you slag whatever it is ur gonna melee which makes it do even more.

Oct 03, 12 at 5:55pm
Ajax

MLongfellowDeeds, it astounds me.

I'm a console player from way back. I still play MW3 on PS3, because people can't aim for shit on console.

Aiming for headshots =/= Precision aiming.

Oct 03, 12 at 4:30pm
MLongfellowDeeds

quote AznLiquid
quote MLongfellowDeeds
Why do PC players always act like it's hard to aim on console? I'll never understand that....
The mouse is much faster and more accurate than an analog stick, it's fact. Your wrist snaps faster than you can roll your thumb. I'm pretty sure aim tests like this are pretty much impossible with a controller.
Uhm, so what? That doesn't mean it's hard to aim with a controller? Granted, we have aim-assist on most FPS, but any game I've ever played on console I don't believe I have said, "I can't hit a damned thing with this here controller...I'm gonna go buy this for PC!"

quote AznLiquid
quote Kommando
Perhaps, but when is it ever necessary to aim that fast in an FPS in the first place?

Here's a good example. Borderlands is a fairly slow-paced FPS (except when dueling), but games like Counter-Strike, Quake, Tribes, all require you to aim and shoot your target in a split second. Controllers have their own advantages, mainly with action-adventure games like Prince of Persia and Batman: AA/AC but aiming with a mouse is a distinct advantage in shooting games.
Console players don't play against PC players, so how is using a mouse a 'distinct advantage'?

Oct 03, 12 at 4:29pm
AznLiquid

As a largely PvE game, you probably don't need lightning fast aim. But if I started dueling other players on Steam with my 360 controller, I'd be handicapping myself.

Oct 03, 12 at 3:55pm
Kommando

quote AznLiquid
quote Kommando

Here's a good example. Borderlands is a fairly slow-paced FPS, but games like Counter-Strike, Quake, Tribes, all require you to aim and shoot your target in a split second. Controllers have their own advantages, mainly with action-adventure games like Prince of Persia and Batman: AA/AC but aiming with a mouse is a distinct advantage in shooting games.
That's what I'm saying. The whole "aiming is better on PC" argument isn't relevant to this game, even if you do spec for maximum crit bonuses. The only reason I respec'd my Zer0 from sniper to bloodshed is becuase I got bored of killing things so easily.

Oct 03, 12 at 3:41pm
AznLiquid

quote Kommando

Oct 03, 12 at 3:12pm
Kommando

quote AznLiquid
quote MLongfellowDeeds
Why do PC players always act like it's hard to aim on console? I'll never understand that....
The mouse is much faster and more accurate than an analog stick, it's fact. Your wrist snaps faster than you can roll your thumb. I'm pretty sure aim tests like this are pretty much impossible with a controller.
It's still easy to shoot things even without auto aim and it's easy to target most enemy crit points.

It's a matter of personal preference.
PC gamers just think console is worse because they're not used to it and vice versa.

Oct 03, 12 at 12:46pm
AznLiquid

quote MLongfellowDeeds

Oct 03, 12 at 12:36pm
MLongfellowDeeds

quote Mister Ivanovich
So... Maybe I'm just terrible at playing games like these as a close-range character, but I feel like investing in the Bloodshed skill tree while you play through the game is a bit under powered. No matter how well I try to utilize my abilities (shoot with shotgun then melee attack to maximize damage, shoot before using the Deception ability so I can melee out of it, etc...), it seems that I always seem to be very vulnerable to ANYTHING that has high damage output. Regardless of what type of weapon they have, be it a shotgun or otherwise, if I try to take advantage of my abilities that I've been putting points into, I typically get gunned down in a solid 15 seconds.

To avoid the aforementioned gunning down, I typically end up taking advantage of the shoddy AI and find a spot that the enemies don't walk out of so I can snipe them until they die. But since I've put no points into the sniping tree, whatever it's called, I get no bonuses and I feel like I'm doing my playthrough an injustice by not being a bloodthirsty close-ranger.

Wait, so you can't be overpowered using melee in a FPS?! I'll be damned....

He can be decent with melee, you just need all the skills/relics/melee boost weapons you can find. Every bonus helps, but it's still not easy when there is a group of enemies and you have to get close up to take care of just one of them. The play style leaves you vulnerable to getting shot from all angles but some good tips in here to make it work. Once you are near max level you will have the Bloodshed skill tree maxed out, which enables you to use Decepti0n, kill enemy, reuse Decepti0n. Rinse & repeat. I would also use the remaining points to put in to Counter Strike which after 5 ranks you melee can do 250% more dmg after you get hit. This build can be powerful but it takes some patience to get there.