Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Dark Souls » Patch 1.06 » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Oct 01, 12 at 8:59amAyriak

I've been looking around trying to locate a reliable source that states whether there will be a patch 1.06, and what changes to expect. So far I've only been able to find a list of changes that were brought out for the Prepare To Die edition, which I'm assuming console players will see on the release of the DLC later this month. Here's what I found:

Unlike patch 1.05, I actually don't have any gripes whatsoever with the list contained within the spoiler (such as the nerfed Pyromancy in 1.05). I really do hope this is what console players get with the DLC later this month.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Nov 09, 12 at 1:53pm
Lupin_the_third

quote GOUKl
It wasn't intentional. The patch was built on the Japanese version and localized very quickly and there are several facets that resulted in 'steps backward' as a result. At least they fixed the pendant description. After rummaging through the PC files it's safe to say there was nothing coded or intended for the pendant past it being a simple roleplay item, hence why the creator likened the best gift suggestions to being either the pendant, or nothing, since it was basically the same thing. He simply wanted you to play it straight up with no extra benefits. The pendant also echoes as a throwback to Kings Fiels, where a similar pendant was used for roleplay purposes and didn't benefit progression in any way, shape, or form.

Still, disappointing to see the Engrish mistranslations return to the game. After Armored Core V turned out to be a huge flop From Software has been effectively been pushed back against the ropes. Their stance on continuing Dark Souls by way of DLC was previously against it, having stated that "everything that needs to be told is in the game as-is", that being said as large chunks of the game were being cut out to give Namco's IP just enough resemblance to the carbon copy they wanted to lord over. From really wanted to jump on Demons Souls 2, a real sequel, but Sony just did not respond and doesn't seem want to do anything right now.

With the next consoles arriving sooner than anticipated, From will be struggling to keep up and will have to invest even more time into R&D. It's likely they'll be going dark for a year or greater while they try to stay both independent and on two legs. Now would be a good time for Namco to plan for a sequel in preparation for the next gen, and From would be in no position to dodge the request. Thankfully they left the majority of Dark Souls lore pretty ambiguous and they leave themselves plenty of options for how they want to interpret and pursue another entry in the series.

Personally I would love to see another Dark entry that retains multiplatform availability. If Sony's not willing to move then they deserve to have their faces rubbed in the success of another publisher. So long as From can finally fix the whole backstab mechanic and return magic to a bar-based system so playing pure mage could make sense again (they are otherwise penalized by having to reset enemies while a phys player can clear the majority of the world of mobs without touching a bonfire).
The reason for the new magic system is the same reason for the new health system. It's so players cannot "Load up" on healing or mp restoring items and make going through the game uber easy. While I do like the new healing system i never found the old magic system was bad. But both systems i think are viable. It's nice that someone doesnt have an infinite ammount of super heals or infinite ammount of dark beads.

Nov 04, 12 at 10:05am
GOUKl

It wasn't intentional. The patch was built on the Japanese version and localized very quickly and there are several facets that resulted in 'steps backward' as a result. At least they fixed the pendant description. After rummaging through the PC files it's safe to say there was nothing coded or intended for the pendant past it being a simple roleplay item, hence why the creator likened the best gift suggestions to being either the pendant, or nothing, since it was basically the same thing. He simply wanted you to play it straight up with no extra benefits. The pendant also echoes as a throwback to Kings Fiels, where a similar pendant was used for roleplay purposes and didn't benefit progression in any way, shape, or form.

Still, disappointing to see the Engrish mistranslations return to the game. After Armored Core V turned out to be a huge flop From Software has been effectively been pushed back against the ropes. Their stance on continuing Dark Souls by way of DLC was previously against it, having stated that "everything that needs to be told is in the game as-is", that being said as large chunks of the game were being cut out to give Namco's IP just enough resemblance to the carbon copy they wanted to lord over. From really wanted to jump on Demons Souls 2, a real sequel, but Sony just did not respond and doesn't seem want to do anything right now.

With the next consoles arriving sooner than anticipated, From will be struggling to keep up and will have to invest even more time into R&D. It's likely they'll be going dark for a year or greater while they try to stay both independent and on two legs. Now would be a good time for Namco to plan for a sequel in preparation for the next gen, and From would be in no position to dodge the request. Thankfully they left the majority of Dark Souls lore pretty ambiguous and they leave themselves plenty of options for how they want to interpret and pursue another entry in the series.

Personally I would love to see another Dark entry that retains multiplatform availability. If Sony's not willing to move then they deserve to have their faces rubbed in the success of another publisher. So long as From can finally fix the whole backstab mechanic and return magic to a bar-based system so playing pure mage could make sense again (they are otherwise penalized by having to reset enemies while a phys player can clear the majority of the world of mobs without touching a bonfire).

Nov 03, 12 at 7:47pm
Ayriak

Noticed that after killing the Chimera, it's little changes like that, that I tend to appreciate. I should really be spending more time recording gameplay, and less time reading.

Nov 03, 12 at 10:03am
Arcliff

Hey have you guys realized that they made it Engrishy again? Victory Achieved is back to You Defeated, Retrieval is back to You Recovered, and so on.

Oct 31, 12 at 6:37am
VampireWicked

quote "Lupin_the_third"
I havent heard anyone say its rubbish, but it is used far less to be sure.

Yup, havel's ring & Dark wood grain ring & i'm good

Oct 31, 12 at 6:33am
Lupin_the_third

quote jbh
I'm happy with this reaction, now that everyone thinks it's rubbish (which it absolutely is not) I can 100% get away with using it
I havent heard anyone say its rubbish, but it is used far less to be sure. But the backstab fishers still love to use it though. Effing fishers.

Oct 30, 12 at 10:11pm
jbh

I'm happy with this reaction, now that everyone thinks it's rubbish (which it absolutely is not) I can 100% get away with using it

Oct 30, 12 at 4:40pm
PerkoApple

As it should be. Since it would be mega unfair to have to fight people playing by other rules. The dark wood ring is one of the best things to happen if you ask me. I couldn't believe how over powered that thing was before hand.

Oct 30, 12 at 8:31am
VampireWicked

quote "Lupin_the_third"
I think the average user is going to start flocking over to dex weapons as they are lighter. Now that the DWGR has been nerfed the weight of weapon and armor have been that more important to scrimp on. With mobility very important in PVP alot of builds cant afford to have weapons that weight 10 or more units.

Yup.
I downloaded it today & the Darkwood grain ring is useless to me now.
I don't play online so i don't care about pvp but still.
I have the Black Knight great axe, Black Knight shield, light crossbow & a bow & arrow & endurance of 50, & the Dark wood grain ring is completely useless.

And yup, you have to download the patch to signin when playing DarkSouls.
Start DarkSouls offline & then signin, the very moment you sign in your asked to download the patch & if you don't then your not signing in to play.
It's mandatory.

Oct 30, 12 at 3:20am
PerkoApple

quote jomoh71
Just a very stupid question, is it possible to be invaded by someone on 1.05 when playing with 1.06 installed? I guess it shouldn't be possible. I do not even now if you can play without making the update
I might be wrong, but I thought with any online game that you HAVE to upgrade it in order to play. In other words, it's not possible since anyone online would have the 1.06 version.