Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » New Fans Needed For a New PC? Or Bigger Issue? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Sep 30, 12 at 8:55pmTrev_GFC

I've been getting a lot of tearing on my new PC while playing the first Mass Effect. When I checked the temperatures and fans I was surprised to see my CPU running so hot (mainly when rendering scenes for the first time). It has a heatsink with two fans on it and the PC runs noisily even when idle. The CPU came overclocked. Is it worth purchasing some fans with say, 2400 RPMs, to replace the ones cooling the heatsink (and maybe the normal fan too)? Are extra fans needed anyway? Is there something else to worry about?

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz OC'd to 4.40GHz
nVidia GeForce GTX 670
8GB (2x4) RAM 1600MHz Dual Channel
OCZ 650W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply
Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev C CPU cooler
Network Adapter/Sound Card/DVD/500GB SATA
2x Zaward 120mm Golf Ball fan SI
Some other fan at the back.
BitFenix Shinobi gaming case

Hardware Monitor taken a minute or so after exiting the game, and I only had the game running for less than a minute! Pretty hot room TBF.
(Value/Min/Max):
Gigabyte...
FANIN0 1906 RPM 1896 RPM 1917 RPM
FANIN1 915 RPM 898 RPM 917 RPM
FANIN2 1885 RPM 1975 RPM 1890 RPM

Fans PWM all 0%

Intel Core i5...
Core #0 43 Celcius (109F) 36C 64C
Core #1 43C 37C 68C
Core #2 44C 37C 71C
Core #3 40C 36C 63C
Package 43C 36C 73C

Powers
Package 8.39W 8.32W 60.41W
IA Cores 2.35W 2.28W 53.84W

Apart from that nothing I saw out of the ordinary Graphics Card was 50C max with the fan running at 33% (1140 RPM).

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 02, 12 at 3:40pm
Trev_GFC

quote ashantiqua
screen tearing?

do you have v-sync enabled?
Apologies for the double post...

[BIG EDIT] - v-sync has solved the tearing issue, thanks. So it wasn't the processor heat, it was that the graphics card and monitor were out of sync. I had read up about v-sync before but it was poorly described and went into stupid details rather than what it actually does, so for a noob like me I got confused.

While 70 Celcius is high for the processor (package anyway, cores reached 59-64C) this must be, as someone said earlier, down to the overclocking. The motherboard sensors were far lower apart from one which I guess is on or near the processor, so the issue won't be temps of air flowing in the PC, although my fans always have to run on full power even when not doing anything. Oh, I'm confusing myself here.

I'm not sure about setting the clocking speed back to normal as I didn't overclock the system myself, so I don't know the original settings or if the motherboard had been OC'd too.

But the main issue is sorted anyway, cheers for that!

Oct 01, 12 at 7:26pm
Trev_GFC

quote ashantiqua
screen tearing?

I think the first time I didn't, but the second time I played I did. Both times though it was tearing when, for example, something's moving. I don't understand why, I was just guessing there was a link with that and my CPU being over 70 degrees Celcius.

Oct 01, 12 at 7:21pm
ashantiqua

screen tearing?

Oct 01, 12 at 3:35pm
Trev_GFC

quote Crusad3r
Well, I have a similar setup to you

2600k i7 (clocked at 4.0ghz)
GTX 580 (Gigabyte SOC edition) (Core clock at 880mhz, memory clock at 2200 mhz)
etc etc. (everything else is basically the same) and both my CPU and GPU run smoothly at 33-38 degrees on idle.

I really don't think you're lacking fans. I just think you need to cut back the overclocking. I really don't see what applications you're running that requires your CPU to be running at 4.4ghz, since most games only require 3.4ghz on a dual core while you're running a quad.
OK thanks for that. I'll have a look up on how to do that. I'm hoping it'll stop the games running so poorly!

Oct 01, 12 at 3:26pm
Crusad3r

Well, I have a similar setup to you

2600k i7 (clocked at 4.0ghz)
GTX 580 (Gigabyte SOC edition) (Core clock at 880mhz, memory clock at 2200 mhz)
etc etc. (everything else is basically the same) and both my CPU and GPU run smoothly at 33-38 degrees on idle.

I really don't think you're lacking fans. I just think you need to cut back the overclocking. I really don't see what applications you're running that requires your CPU to be running at 4.4ghz, since most games only require 3.4ghz on a dual core while you're running a quad.

Oct 01, 12 at 3:15pm
Trev_GFC

quote Crusad3r
Maybe set your clock speed back to 3.4ghz and see what happens? You can do that from the bios settings (search up some guides for it before you screw your whole system over)
Thanks. While I was looking through airflow YouTube vids it occured to me that I don't have any fans that blow air INTO the system, I've only got the standard exhaust one at the back plus the two on the heatsink (and whatever's in the PSU at the bottom). Do you think 2 fans at the front blowing air into the system would help?

Plus I guess I could get SpeedFan or whatever it's called and regulate the speeds?

Oct 01, 12 at 1:22pm
Crusad3r

Maybe set your clock speed back to 3.4ghz and see what happens? You can do that from the bios settings (search up some guides for it before you screw your whole system over)

Sep 30, 12 at 8:55pm
Trev_GFC

I've been getting a lot of tearing on my new PC while playing the first Mass Effect. When I checked the temperatures and fans I was surprised to see my CPU running so hot (mainly when rendering scenes for the first time). It has a heatsink with two fans on it and the PC runs noisily even when idle. The CPU came overclocked. Is it worth purchasing some fans with say, 2400 RPMs, to replace the ones cooling the heatsink (and maybe the normal fan too)? Are extra fans needed anyway? Is there something else to worry about?

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz OC'd to 4.40GHz
nVidia GeForce GTX 670
8GB (2x4) RAM 1600MHz Dual Channel
OCZ 650W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply
Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77
Prolimatech Megahalems Rev C CPU cooler
Network Adapter/Sound Card/DVD/500GB SATA
2x Zaward 120mm Golf Ball fan SI
Some other fan at the back.
BitFenix Shinobi gaming case

Hardware Monitor taken a minute or so after exiting the game, and I only had the game running for less than a minute! Pretty hot room TBF.
(Value/Min/Max):
Gigabyte...
FANIN0 1906 RPM 1896 RPM 1917 RPM
FANIN1 915 RPM 898 RPM 917 RPM
FANIN2 1885 RPM 1975 RPM 1890 RPM

Fans PWM all 0%

Intel Core i5...
Core #0 43 Celcius (109F) 36C 64C
Core #1 43C 37C 68C
Core #2 44C 37C 71C
Core #3 40C 36C 63C
Package 43C 36C 73C

Powers
Package 8.39W 8.32W 60.41W
IA Cores 2.35W 2.28W 53.84W

Apart from that nothing I saw out of the ordinary Graphics Card was 50C max with the fan running at 33% (1140 RPM).