Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » Monster Hunter Tri » Plural possessiveness and MH » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

Sooo Tasty Rathalos Cha-Cha Bow Deviljho Dual Blades Great Sword Gun Lance Hammer Heavy Bowgun Hunting Horn Lance Light Bowgun Long Sword Cha-Cha Zinogre Gigginox Ceadeus Rathian Switch Axe Sword and Shield Nargacuga Great Jaggi Lagiacrus Agnaktor Diablos

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 02, 12 at 6:21am
Phlogiston

Thanks for an honest answer!

Sep 30, 12 at 11:36pm
sabledragonrook

You're right in saying that the plural possessive of Rathalos is still just Rathalos', and you are also correct about Baggis' as plural possessive for Baggi. It kinda makes your brain spin for a moment if you think about it too hard! It's the English linguistics with advanced grammar specialization coming out in me.

Aside from those, though, all the other names don't seem to cause such a problem.

Sep 30, 12 at 11:02am
WooperOnALedge

to be honest i never cared. i hate english, im a numbers guy so it never bothered me.
i mean i guess rathians is plural, i never put an apostrophe when im jus talking wit friends and informal. i mean im positive u guys r smart enough to figure it out.

Sep 30, 12 at 11:01am
Phlogiston

You know what, this is the WRONG PLACE to ask this.

Sep 30, 12 at 7:33am
Phlogiston

To make a long story short, I've been wondering about how to write the plural possessive form of some MH3 monsters' names. Or, at least, wondering what your opinions are. I'm NOT going to go into pronunciation (I'm sure there's a thread on that... if there isn't I'll make one later) other than the fact that I pronounce Ceadeus "see-AY-dee-ihss".
So, this is sort of what I'm looking for:

Rathian - singular
Rathians - plural
Rathian's - singular possessive
Rathians' - plural possessive

That one I'm sure of. But what about rathalos?

Rathalos - singular and plural
Rathalos's - sg. possessive
But what exactly is the plural possessive here? Rathalos'? Rathaloses'? Rathawhat?

Another one idk about is baggi...

Baggi - singular and plural
Baggi's - sg. possessive
Baggis' - pl. possessive?

I'd appreciate a response from someone knowledgeable on the subject, although feel free to voice your opinions. Please be careful with your spelling so I know what you're talking about.