Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Cheap, reasonably fast media build » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Sep 30, 12 at 7:27amACY3

A family friend has had their PC die on them, but rather than repair it they've requested a new build/upgrade. It's not going to be used for gaming, but it will be used for photo editing and watching movies / online streaming and it'll be plugged into a TV. The biggest restraint is the budget; £200-250 and as cheap as possible.

The motherboard, CPU and RAM will all need replacing. Based on cost I am leaning towards an AMD APU. All APU motherboards seem to require an 8-pin CPU +12v plug, which is understandable, but the current PSU only has a 4-pin so that will need replacing. DVD drive uses IDE but they are cheap enough to replace. The HDD will probably be kept but I've listed a couple of alternatives if they do decide to get a new one. The case could do with a clean but it should suffice.

Here's what I've come up with:

Gigabyte GA-A75-D3H - £64.50

AMD A6 - 3670K Black Edition - £61.63

Corsair Memory 2x2GB DDR3 - £17.28

430W Corsair Builder Series - £36.52 (500W alternative for £46.20)

Samsung DVD Drive - £11.96

Sub-total - £193.09

Optional:
500GB Seagate HDD - £43.37

1TB Seagate HDD - £55.18

Any thoughts or alternatives for this build?

In terms of APU, I keep hearing that the next generation will be along later this year with a new socket and beefed up performance. Would it be worth hanging on to see how they turn out, or at least wait for a price drop for the current generation? I'll certainly ask if they're willing to hang on a bit to see how it turns out. Any idea when I'd likely be able to purchase one of these new APUs?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 08, 12 at 9:13am
ACY3

Swapping the previous FM1 components with FM2 upgrades, I've gone with this:

Gigabyte GA-F2A75-D3H - £64.26

AMD A8 5600K Black Edition - £77.93

But there's another development. A new, unused graphics card has been discovered in hiding at the back of a cupboard; an nVidia 9400 GT. While that card is over four years old now, I'm wondering if it's worth throwing it into this rig in order to take over the graphics processing, which frankly is the best part of the APU. I had another look at Intel with this new GPU in mind, but an i3 isn't that much better than the A8 5600K in the CPU department, and to jump up to i5 costs a fair bit more. So, bearing in mind that this rig will be used for photo editing and streaming TV, is it worth offloading the graphics processing to a discrete but inferior GPU, or just leave the APU to its own devices?

Oct 03, 12 at 9:00am
VeGiTAX2

Yeah I saw the reviews this morning, disappointing that an unrelated branch of cpu development matches their latest piledriver offering. Although I did find out 2 major things about FM2 / Trinity

The video performance is the best in any integrated class, the CPU not so much because of poor thread performance. While it's on par or sometimes slightly better you can still get massive gains if you use faster memory as that's what the GPU on the chip harnesses. The difference from 1333 to 2133 was almost 20fps in some games like DiRT Showdown, you can also get huge gains when tweaking around the GPU clocks along with that.

Oct 03, 12 at 5:12am
ACY3

It would appear that it's all systems go, as Scan have just started selling FM2 APUs and motherboards, though the latter will take 1-2 weeks to arrive. Guess I'll have to take another look and see which new APU, if any, would be better than the 3670K. After a quick glance at a couple of reviews, the A8 5600K seems to be the way to go, although there isn't a massive jump in performance from the previous generation.

Sep 30, 12 at 11:48am
VeGiTAX2

We're seeing new previews on tech sites right now, if AMD sticks to their usual plan we'll see it in December as they seem to love almost end of the year launches.

Found a chart with the planned APU rollout

Also a bench for D3 from the latest preview round. Pretty impressive but at the same time one would hope a 7660 has evolved past the 5770 just by tech improvements as well.

Fair warning ACY3, if you get the current gen, you'll have to upgrade your board for any future cpu upgrades as FM2 chips will not be compatible with FM1 at all

Sep 30, 12 at 10:04am
hiigaran

cheaper RAM

cheaper PSU

not sure when the next gen APUs will come out though. VeGiTAX2 might know.

Sep 30, 12 at 7:27am
ACY3

A family friend has had their PC die on them, but rather than repair it they've requested a new build/upgrade. It's not going to be used for gaming, but it will be used for photo editing and watching movies / online streaming and it'll be plugged into a TV. The biggest restraint is the budget; £200-250 and as cheap as possible.

The motherboard, CPU and RAM will all need replacing. Based on cost I am leaning towards an AMD APU. All APU motherboards seem to require an 8-pin CPU +12v plug, which is understandable, but the current PSU only has a 4-pin so that will need replacing. DVD drive uses IDE but they are cheap enough to replace. The HDD will probably be kept but I've listed a couple of alternatives if they do decide to get a new one. The case could do with a clean but it should suffice.

Here's what I've come up with:

Gigabyte GA-A75-D3H - £64.50

AMD A6 - 3670K Black Edition - £61.63

Corsair Memory 2x2GB DDR3 - £17.28

430W Corsair Builder Series - £36.52 (500W alternative for £46.20)

Samsung DVD Drive - £11.96

Sub-total - £193.09

Optional:
500GB Seagate HDD - £43.37

1TB Seagate HDD - £55.18

Any thoughts or alternatives for this build?

In terms of APU, I keep hearing that the next generation will be along later this year with a new socket and beefed up performance. Would it be worth hanging on to see how they turn out, or at least wait for a price drop for the current generation? I'll certainly ask if they're willing to hang on a bit to see how it turns out. Any idea when I'd likely be able to purchase one of these new APUs?