Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Wifi USB Stick for Tower » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Sep 29, 12 at 5:17pmNagare

Hi there guys, I'm trying to figure out what I need right now...I have a tower connected to high speed internet in my dorm. No problems there. I have an iPad connected to my university's wifi, no problem there either. I'd like to stream from my tower to my iPad, but everything seems to require the two being on the same network (which they technically are, but I suppose they mean wireless network). What kind of USB dongle am I looking for so that I can have a "network" from my tower to my iPad so that I can stream?

Thanks

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 09, 12 at 11:50am
Nagare

I ended up getting a cheap (26.74 with tax from Office Depot) D-Link DIR 601 N-150 and everything seems to be working perfectly. I wasn't sure if a router is what I really wanted, but apparently it is and it allows me to bypass the university wireless logon every time I connect with my phone or iPad

Thanks guys.

Oct 09, 12 at 3:39am
ruby

quote Chekkaa
Personally, I would go with the wireless router. Plug your desktop into it directly, and use the wireless for your wireless devices. That's what I do, and it works great. It's also nice in case you ever want to add a second wired machine in the future, such as a file server, a game console, etc.
Good idea!! Go with the wireless router!!

Oct 07, 12 at 7:41pm
Nagare

Okay, I'll probably look into getting a cheapish router then. I don't need it to work for more than six feet in any direction and when I move into a new place I'll most likely get a whole new system anyways. The iPad already has wireless access via the university wide WiFi system, it is just a matter of streaming from my desktop to iPad or PS3 which are easier to connect to my TV.

Oct 07, 12 at 7:37pm
The Slayer

You can run it just like any home internet connection. Have the uni internet go into the wireless router, then plug the desktop into it, set up the router as a wireless network then have the ipad connect to it.

That will probably be the best option as the ipad could get an internet connection without the computer being on as well as connect to the desktop. Plus, like Chekkaa said, it gives you a few more ethernet ports to use.

Oct 07, 12 at 7:19pm
Nagare

With the router, will the PC still run from the ethernet connection? I know that the router really just acts as a bridge between the PC and the "connection", but I'm just trying to make sure. If it is like that, will the PC still be considered as on the same network (WiFi)?

Oct 07, 12 at 7:11pm
Chekkaa

Personally, I would go with the wireless router. Plug your desktop into it directly, and use the wireless for your wireless devices. That's what I do, and it works great. It's also nice in case you ever want to add a second wired machine in the future, such as a file server, a game console, etc.

Oct 07, 12 at 7:07pm
walnuts

I use the second option that The Slayer suggested. I have a wireless card in my tower which is LAN only, allowing my laptop to see my desktop and vice versa, whilst my PC uses the ethernet cable for internet stuff.

I would imagine that any USB dongle that connects to wi-fi will allow you to network with your iPad over the wireless network, although you would need to do some minor tinkering to setup the wireless network on your PC as LAN only, so that you get the benefits of the ethernet port on your PC whilst maintaining the LAN network over the wifi.

If you need any help, just holler, I set this sort of thing up myself not too long ago.

Oct 07, 12 at 6:43pm
The Slayer

You can get a wireless router and hook it up to your desktop via ethernet and connect to the ipad via wifi.

Or you can get any USB or PCI wifi card and have your computer broadcast a wireless network for the ipad to connect to.

Oct 07, 12 at 6:13pm
Nagare

Nobody?

The Slayer, hiigaran

Sep 29, 12 at 5:17pm
Nagare

Hi there guys, I'm trying to figure out what I need right now...I have a tower connected to high speed internet in my dorm. No problems there. I have an iPad connected to my university's wifi, no problem there either. I'd like to stream from my tower to my iPad, but everything seems to require the two being on the same network (which they technically are, but I suppose they mean wireless network). What kind of USB dongle am I looking for so that I can have a "network" from my tower to my iPad so that I can stream?

Thanks