Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Hard Drive question » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Sep 29, 12 at 11:35amMaster Tenku

I recently tore apart a laptop that I used to use back in the days where I knew a thing or two about technology, but time has progressed and now I'm f**king useless at it.

I took the hard drive (37.5gb, less than my phone at the moment) out of it and bought an adapter to attach it to my current computer. I'm trying to clear everything off it and use it as an external hard drive so that I can backup all of the photos on my parents computer since they have 10 years of photography and no backup.

Some of the folders on this hard drive won't delete because apparantly I'm not an administrator (I am), these are: Windows, Program Files and Documents and Settings... although the contents from some of them are deleted now. If I format the drive and remove them that way, will it still run as an external and be able to store JPG files just like a pen drive? The computer I run now doesn't use it to boot, I'm running windows 7 and the old hard drive was running windows XP or windows millenium (can't remember) when the laptop it was in functioned.

Cheers guys. Hurry up and reply I want to go to the pub

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Sep 29, 12 at 12:27pm
harbin

You can download a utility which will securely 'delete' data (not 100%) by marking the blocks (just call them this for ease, even though thats an SSD thing), for overwrite. These are then replaced by 1 byte files over and over again until all that is left are these remnants. The data is recoverable though.

There are military grade deletion programs that will do that properly with something like 1000 passes although if you really do want to destroy data best bet is to introduce the hammer to it (if you want to use the drive again, please don't do this because it will break it). CCleaner has got a feature to do this. However, unless there are tech minded individuals in your house that will go to that trouble, then you shouldn't really need to concern yourself with doing secure deletions like that. Only if you want to sell it should you make sure there is absolutely no sensitive stuff on there.

I have a theory on why it won't let you delete the data normally. It could be a permission setting (if you have NTFS it will be). In this case, even though you are an administrator you don't actually have permission to access it unless you 'take ownership' of the file. In XP Home this will require either booting into safe mode or installing an unofficial patch to give you the options that would normally be there in XP Professional. Not sure if this is the case with Windows 7 Home.

It should still format as an external, there is no difference in the physical drive between internal and external, just how it connects and interfaces with the PC.

Sep 29, 12 at 12:24pm
magsasaka

i doubt using fridge magnets could affect it at all and using a powerful magnet might destoru it for good
unless u dont mind a few bad sectors here and there

Sep 29, 12 at 12:20pm
hiigaran

data is marked to be overwritten, so it can be recovered, yes. however, running a magnet over the drive will destroy it and make affected sections unusable. your best bet is to find something that wipes free space. i think CCleaner has that function.

ive read that making a pass over the data once will still make it possible to recover data. i have no idea how true that is, because...well if its overwritten, how the hell do you recover anything from it? in any case, people make multiple passes so that even forensic analysis cant recover deleted data.

Sep 29, 12 at 12:05pm
Master Tenku

May as well ask this now since I'm curious and I won't really have another oppourtunity without looking like a paedophile.

Correct where necessary: Hard drives never truely delete things from them, they just mark the space the thing used to occupy as writable again. Meaning that if someone had the reason to they could still read files that had been long deleted; unless the drive was filled up to the brim again with useless files and re-emptied. I've heard that running a magnet over the drive corrupts it making this data unreadable, so if I was to do that - could I then plug it back in and still use it once it had been formatted again to get rid of the corrupted data marked for rewrite?

Sep 29, 12 at 11:52am
magsasaka

format/reformat it and it will still work

Sep 29, 12 at 11:51am
hiigaran

yeah you can go ahead and format it. it wont make a difference if the computer doesnt boot from it.

Sep 29, 12 at 11:41am
Quierta

Quierta says, "boop!"

Sep 29, 12 at 11:35am
Master Tenku

I recently tore apart a laptop that I used to use back in the days where I knew a thing or two about technology, but time has progressed and now I'm f**king useless at it.

I took the hard drive (37.5gb, less than my phone at the moment) out of it and bought an adapter to attach it to my current computer. I'm trying to clear everything off it and use it as an external hard drive so that I can backup all of the photos on my parents computer since they have 10 years of photography and no backup.

Some of the folders on this hard drive won't delete because apparantly I'm not an administrator (I am), these are: Windows, Program Files and Documents and Settings... although the contents from some of them are deleted now. If I format the drive and remove them that way, will it still run as an external and be able to store JPG files just like a pen drive? The computer I run now doesn't use it to boot, I'm running windows 7 and the old hard drive was running windows XP or windows millenium (can't remember) when the laptop it was in functioned.

Cheers guys. Hurry up and reply I want to go to the pub