Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Tomb Raider » Tomb Raider developer issues statement on attempted rape scene » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jun 15, 12 at 11:21amzakislam

Tomb Raider developer issues statement on attempted rape scene

Zak Islam - Friday, June 15, 2012 11:21am (PST) Like (1) Share
Crystal Dynamics clarifies producer's rape comment
 Image 1

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jun 28, 12 at 10:49pm
objecterror

Well..that 'rape' scene was certainly blown out of proportion.

Jun 19, 12 at 5:14pm
Nick

No, no no no no no. They weren't going to rape Lara! That'd be horrible! They were only going to MURDER HER.

Jun 17, 12 at 6:51pm
Neopets

I'm pretty sure that the comment criticizing the attempted rape scene has been deleted, but I'm going to throw in my own two cents anyway.

The new Lara is very vulnerable throughout the length of this game, especially at the beginning. With an island swarming with armed, cult-crazed sadists (assuming), it would be a little strange not to include an attempted sexual assault/rape scene. Yes, the scene is uncomfortable and scary to watch, but that's how it's meant to make you feel. You're not going to sip a mug of mocha and sink unaffected into your couch while watching a rape/assault scene, if you can't handle the emotions that this will stir up you shouldn't be playing 18+ games.

In my opinion, the people who are angry about this only semi-sexually explicit scene only contribute to the victim shaming that most rape victims experience. To me, telling someone that this topic is "too much" to include in a video game is a very straight-forward metaphor for telling a victim that their rape is "too much" to talk about and they should keep it to themselves. This is probably my sensitive side talking and I'm sure many of them don't mean it like that, but I can assure you it will be interpreted that way by a victim of sexual assault and it definitely won't help them go to the cops.

In all honesty, the scene only has [straight-forward] implications. Yes, it is very obviously intended, but is she actually raped? Does a shirt come off, a hand go down her pants? No. There's more sexual explicit behavior in Assassin's Creed, which no one criticizes because that scene included two willing partners. Really says something about what people going off on this are thinking - sex in games is great unless it [maturely] handles a darker side to the act.

As other people said, the scene sends a great message, the company is great for having included it, and the people who are saying this is "too much" can man the *bleep* up and try watching something other than Fox News every now and again.

Jun 17, 12 at 5:26pm
Wakaman

I tip my hat to them for putting it there. I then take back the tipping of my hat for them having to pussyfoot around the damn scene.

"lol we're gonna show an attractive woman in an attempted rape scene on an island with big bad men. But it's not an attempted rape scene, he was just tryna give her a hug."

*bleep* off already & man up, it was brilliant and it sent an astounding message.

Jun 17, 12 at 11:31am
BlackLabel

quote Gligar
i dont understand why people are arguing. If you look at the FarCry3 trailer that debuted in E3, there was a naked women with her breasts showing etc... why arent people arguing about that?
Nudity is not the same as rape.. Nudity is natural it's merely a human either male or female without clothes on there is nothing wrong with that. Rape is the act of forcing another against their will into having sex which is wrong on so many levels, that's the reason for the initial outrage. Though people do seem to be coming round to the idea. Not because they want to see it, but because it puts rape on a stage it makes people face up to one of societies biggest issues.

Jun 17, 12 at 11:24am
Gligar

i dont understand why people are arguing. If you look at the FarCry3 trailer that debuted in E3, there was a naked women with her breasts showing etc... why arent people arguing about that?

Jun 16, 12 at 11:40am
BlackLabel

To me adding an attempted rape to the game is realistic.. I mean as much as human kind wants to believe that the human race is getting better in relation to sexual assault, the fact is it's still one of the most common crimes in the World. It's also a typically male dominated crime, so to have an 18 year old somewhat attractive and seemingly defenceless girl walking around an island with kidnappers, murderers and thieves she's going to be a potential target for crimes such as rape and that is a simple fact.

Personally from what I saw of it in the trailer and I'm assuming it's a bit more full on in the full game, but what I saw was something handled tastefully and in a mature fashion and it worked at getting its point across. I mean for all the flak gaming takes for not being mature enough I think 'Tomb Raider' has handled rape far better than films have. Films such as 'Baise Moi' and 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' show rape as if it's just a tool to get sales and generate talking points they exploit it almost.. I commend the developers for tackling something people would rather not face.

Jun 16, 12 at 2:41am
Hellfire29

God help anybody who criticises this scene and ever plays an actual rape game...

Jun 15, 12 at 8:00pm
Ultimaodin

The Darkest Shadow - You sir are a legend and basically said everything that I couldn't express.

In the end all I wanted was for Crystal Dynamics to be able to call it what it is, attempted rape. Now sure, if this was a fourth Gex game (I wish) then yeah the idea of Rape would inappropriate but given this is actually targeted at mature audiences it would be nice if the touched on mature concepts without the need to sugarcoat it.

Jun 15, 12 at 6:03pm
THM

Well..We'll have to wait and see the final performance of the game, won't we?