Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » Dead Space » EA: Dead Space 3 has co-op as Dead Space is too scary to play alone » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jun 12, 12 at 4:17amzakislam

EA: Dead Space 3 has co-op as Dead Space is too scary to play alone

Zak Islam - Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:17am (PST) Like Share
Co-op inclusion not simply a copycat feature
 Image 1
Source: Gamasutra
Alternate Source: OXM

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jun 25, 12 at 12:54pm
Nech

So horror games are not supposed to be scary???? WTF?

Jun 22, 12 at 1:29am
Sam

This completely screws with the series atmosphere and style, specifically the first one where all you heard was the voices of the dead (or soon to be), or Isaac's screams as he's getting torn limb from limb. The sound design in the first 2 games is TOP-NOTCH; as in no other developer getting close to what Visceral achieved with the first two games, now it's going to be bombarded with cliche'd chit chat from the 2 PCs to specifically take away from the atmosphere and intensity of the game specifically to sell more copies.

The terrible, soulless suits at EA are clearly behind this. No way in hell Visceral would take their baby and just throw a hell of a lot of what they've been working on the past 5 years straight out the window simply to make it more accessible. Shame on you EA. Shame on you.

OG Dead Space... Goodnight sweet prince.

Jun 13, 12 at 12:40am
bebop4life64

Lol did you guys actually compare a pure survival horror game with a "psychological experience" (SH)? are you serious? Dead space 1 Set the mold for future Survival! Ripping off your enemies limbs? Using the enviroment to your advantage? Micro-managing your entire inventory for the duration of the game? Dead space mastered all of the aformentioned in a skip and a jump! Fatal Frame? Did they really compare that to this game? A great variation of intelligent, fast and durable enemies, coupled with unique sound effects that terrify me to this day, and a game engine that permitted enemies to follow you through multiple rooms and enviroments wasn't scary? Nemisis and Pyramid head ain't got shit on the ubermorph, or the divider for that matter. Amnesia is close, but its enviroment is lackluster. We may have differing opinions, but the fact remains that dead space is a GREAT survival-horror game, possibly the best one out there...and it sure as hell doesnt need co-op. damn you EA.

Jun 12, 12 at 6:20pm
DNA2251

The co-op element in Dead Space 3 will be entirely optional. If you decide to play without a co-op partner, Carver the playable co-op character will not follow you around like an AI controller partner like in RE 5. Instead he will just appear occasionally to serve story purposes much like how supporting characters have always interacted with Issac in previous games.

Jun 12, 12 at 6:19pm
Ncjpr1993

Doom 3, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Resident Evil (1-CV): THOSE are scary games. As horror games, the Dead Space games are jokes. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them, and the horror-theme is well done, but they just simply are not scary at all. Call me a hypocrite for mentioning Doom 3, but Dead Space's scares rely almost completely on enemies jumping out of vents, closets, etc. That gets old extraordinarily fast, and it's pretty easy to tell when such a thing is going to happen. Dead Space 3 is gonna have to have some serious tricks up its sleeve to satisfy my horror needs.

Jun 12, 12 at 4:11pm
StuMan

quote BlackLabel
Haha those games will do that. I think most Silent Hill veterans will find Dead Space a pretty tranquil and pleasant game in comparison. I see Amnesia doing that for a lot of gamers, those that found that game terrifying probably won't find other games scary anymore as none will be at that games level, not unless of course Silent Hill goes back to its roots and starts being scary again..
I've played the original Silent Hill games so much over the last 13 years that I find them all that scary anymore, but I still love their stories & atmosphere. Shame the newer ones can't seem to capture that. I haven't played amnesia

Jun 12, 12 at 3:43pm
BlackLabel

quote StuMan
I've yet to play Dead Space 2, but I've played the original and it didn't find scary at all. It was fun, but not scary. Perhaps I've been spoiled by the original 4 Silent Hill games.
Haha those games will do that. I think most Silent Hill veterans will find Dead Space a pretty tranquil and pleasant game in comparison. I see Amnesia doing that for a lot of gamers, those that found that game terrifying probably won't find other games scary anymore as none will be at that games level, not unless of course Silent Hill goes back to its roots and starts being scary again..

Jun 12, 12 at 3:27pm
StuMan

I've yet to play Dead Space 2, but I've played the original and it didn't find scary at all. It was fun, but not scary. Perhaps I've been spoiled by the original 4 Silent Hill games.

Jun 12, 12 at 10:01am
BlackLabel

quote MrGrimm
Let me tell you this, I've always assumed Dead Space is a horror survival game. I look at it sometimes, and think "mmm maybe I want that" but I've never actually gone and bought it, because I'm a big coward, I don't like scary games.

The thought of playing it with one of my friends makes me think that MAYBE I'll buy it. Still though, I wouldn't say it's a brilliant marketing scheme.

After reading the comments, I may just go ahead and buy it, if it isn't as scary as I initially thought.
The first two chapters of Dead Space 1 will probably be the scariest though around about then you get used to the scare tactics and it becomes a bit more of a creepy/tense shooter.

Jun 12, 12 at 9:08am
MrGrimm

Let me tell you this, I've always assumed Dead Space is a horror survival game. I look at it sometimes, and think "mmm maybe I want that" but I've never actually gone and bought it, because I'm a big coward, I don't like scary games.

The thought of playing it with one of my friends makes me think that MAYBE I'll buy it. Still though, I wouldn't say it's a brilliant marketing scheme.

After reading the comments, I may just go ahead and buy it, if it isn't as scary as I initially thought.