Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Computer Help and Discussion » Real player is eating memory like crazy » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.

hideOriginal Post

Sep 18, 12 at 10:22pmDuncan Idaho

so i downloaded real player for it's app real player downloader now i find at random the damn thing is starting two proceses, both use over 90% in CPU i can shut them down but they are replaced by a third process, inactive system process it's cpu usage goes from 87 to 98 it will shift trough all the numbers between those two, but it's a hollow process since my current CPU usage is of 2% to 14%

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 06, 12 at 3:26am
Lorx

quote Duncan Idaho
hiigaran fire fox has video downloader, but i stopped using fire fox ages ago since it always ate up my RAM
Downthemall and Flashgot both work wonders for me. You'll pull the files as the format they are, so if you want to grab a youtube video and turn it into an mp3 you'll need something else to do that. DTA and Flashgot are both Firefox extensions, should be easy googles to find. DTA is something I use more for batch downloading stuff like picture galleries or the like, Flashgot is what I use for youtube and it's look-a-likes.

I use a program called Mediacoder to switch around the filetypes when I need to, it's a pretty solid program (&free), but I feel like there's probably better out there. I've heard a lot of people love SUPER still, but it was very finicky and I just couldn't stand it.

Oct 05, 12 at 5:53am
Leonidas-SD

People still use Real Player ? I thought it was dead a decade ago when it started incorporating bloatware into its installation. I know that from that moment on I dont use it.

VLC all the way!

Sep 19, 12 at 11:26am
Duncan Idaho

hiigaran fire fox has video downloader, but i stopped using fire fox ages ago since it always ate up my RAM

Sep 19, 12 at 11:01am
hiigaran

hmm...there are plenty of extensions for firefox and chrome that allow you to rip sound files directly from a page. i havent used them in ages though, so i dont remember any of their names.

Sep 19, 12 at 11:00am
harbin

I prefer Zamzar for stuff like conversion. Just a shame it doesn't do files larger than 100mb. Wish they did a desktop program version of that.

Sep 19, 12 at 10:59am
Duncan Idaho

quote hiigaran
cant you just use youtubetomp3.com or a similar site for something like that?
i havent had a sucefull experience with those websites, i have youtube video downloader but it only works with YT which i do not always visit, i frequent uploaded2 for example

Sep 19, 12 at 8:59am
hiigaran

quote Duncan Idaho
quote harbin91
It's Real Player that sucks, which is why I never use it.

Download RealAlternative if you need to open them. I use MPC-HC as my main media player for opening standalone files.
the catch is that i only use real player downloader, not the video reproductor, since from time to time i download musical vids and convert them to . mp3 format, but given that they still have the same issue of not being compatible adobe flash player.
cant you just use youtubetomp3.com or a similar site for something like that?

Sep 19, 12 at 7:42am
Duncan Idaho

i would have tought the same but if i open presentation or opera both process start operating, not even if i reset the laptop they start.

Sep 19, 12 at 7:40am
harbin

Those'll be background processes that open up on startup automatically probably.

Sep 19, 12 at 7:35am
Duncan Idaho

quote harbin91
It's Real Player that sucks, which is why I never use it.

Download RealAlternative if you need to open them. I use MPC-HC as my main media player for opening standalone files.
the catch is that i only use real player downloader, not the video reproductor, since from time to time i download musical vids and convert them to . mp3 format, but given that they still have the same issue of not being compatible adobe flash player.

crap i forgot to mention, the real player process activates at random, even when i am not using the program