Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » ReQuests, Feedback and Suggestions » [Suggestion] YouTube/Video Preview Placeholders Before Loading » Post Reply

Note to Guests: This forum is only for issues related to neoseeker.com. Please, do not post questions related to games. RFS is for site related discussion. If you require gaming help, check the forum directory here and search for the correct forum.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Sep 27, 12 at 1:29pm
Nagare

This is part of the reason I stopped even looking at the blogs on here. Everyone decided to make a top X countdown and put so many videos all over their post and it was just annoying to scroll through even though I have a great connection.

Sep 27, 12 at 11:36am
Giga Bowser

GB supports this, or at least something like this.

Sometimes, people in General Discussions get overly excited and post a crap-ton of videos all in a row, sometimes leading to over 10 being posted on one page of a thread. It ends up taking a very long time to load and just bogs me down.

Sep 18, 12 at 7:21am
hiigaran

this is a suggestion, and solution, for everyone with low end computers, and depending on how many videos are in a thread, for mid end computers as well...

currently, when posting a video, the player is shown in the post, with whatever default image the video has when you havent clicked and loaded it. this isnt a problem, but when multiple videos are on a single page, loading and performance becomes an issue, especially if you are playing one of those videos on the page. at the moment, i have to open up the video externally on youtube to be able to watch a video on such pages. so whats the solution?

replace the video with a generic placeholder, with nothing but the video name shown on it (along with come community designed image for the placeholder). once a user clicks on the placeholder, it disappears, and then loads the video. mind you, its not something that covers an already existing video...that just makes things worse. i mean actually coding it so that the video itself is not on the page until you click the placeholder.

i dont know how complicated this is to do, but it benefits low performance users, it doesnt cause an inconvenience to other users, and the image that is designed to replace an unclicked video will look better than most previews of a video (by that i mean the shitty quality of most videos under 720p).

the only two problems i see with this: the potential complexity from the admin end of things, and the inability to see a preview of a video (though a lot of previews dont help, anyway).