Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » General Mario Brothers » Extra Lives are Over Rated. » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

Count Bleck Mario Toad Baby Luigi Baby Mario Boo Ludwig Luigi Mario MK8 Goomba Piranha Plant Fire Mario Luigi small mario Star Fire Flower Peach Toad Coin Block Cheep Cheep Donkey Kong Yoshi Spiny Blooper Buzzy Beetle Bullet Bill Fawful Lakitu Paratroopa Classic Mushroom Poison Mushroom Daisy Poison Mushroom 2 Mushroom 1-Up Boo King Boo Luma Bowser Rosalina Paper Luigi Yoshi

hideOriginal Post

Sep 14, 12 at 8:13amEpsalon X

quote Epsalon X
Something else I've noticed...in Super Mario 3D Land, and ESPECIALLY in NSMB2, is that it is becoming easier and easier to collect lives. NSMB2 makes the Green Mushroom Houses a complete joke. Its virtually impossible to hit game over without intentionally trying to. Makes one wonder what the point of having the extra lives is anymore. Even if you do hit game over, you can always continue. At least Mario 64 had gave you a reason to care about lives.
I am using my post from another thread. Seriously though...what is the point in collecting lives anymore in most Mario games. Its become so easy. In Mario 3D Land, they gave you extra coins to replace the score system. NSMB2 allows the collecting of thousands of coins in a single level, and you still get a 1up for every hundred coins. Thoughts anyone? Who likes/dislikes this direction? It kinda takes away the challenge in my opinion. There isn't even a penalty anymore for a game over other than a score reset.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 10, 12 at 5:47am
Epsalon X

That is very fair, since most stages you can get around 1,000 without a Gold Flower.

Oct 01, 12 at 11:25am
Castlewars

Well, I reached Bowser's Castle in NSMB2 for the first time and I had over 340 lives. Now I'm nearly at 350. I think it should be around 500 coins for an extra life.

Oct 01, 12 at 6:25am
Epsalon X

Its not perfected quite yet. I have yet to break 8,000...but I am sure it can be done. I'm no good at making videos though. The trick itself however, was extremely easy to figure out.

Sep 30, 12 at 5:36am
Gotenks

You should make a video for that. But I will be trying that out anyways.

Sep 29, 12 at 11:28pm
Kokoro

Okay then. I'll have to try that.

Sep 29, 12 at 11:27pm
Epsalon X

Bring a gold flower, rush straight to the tower of goobas at the end. Kill them, then rush back to the pipe that shoots you into the sky. Fall immediately, and then kill the stack of goombas again, and repeat till time is nearly out. You get 250 coins each time, and theres a shorter stack in route each time for an additional thirty. It also helps to launch the fireball as far away from the goombas as you can that will hit them.

Sep 27, 12 at 12:12am
Kokoro

quote Epsalon X
Also...in NSMB2...I've managed nearly 8,000 coins in the first level. That is EIGHTY lives gained.

Wow, how did you do that? I never got anywhere near that many coins in the first level of NSMB2. Are you sure you didn't mean the first World in the game?

Sep 26, 12 at 8:51am
Epsalon X

It was more of a nuisance to run out in Mario 64...cause I died a lot when playing through the first couple times, and had to waste time to return to where I was trying to collect that 'one star'. That is why it bugged me then.

I also agree with the 'Invincibility Item' in all the NSMB games and 3D Land. It completely removes the challenge from the game. It only impacts your profile slightly if you show others.

Also...in NSMB2...I've managed nearly 8,000 coins in the first level. That is EIGHTY lives gained.

Sep 16, 12 at 5:52am
Insanity Prevails

I kinda disagree on the notion that Super Mario 64 gave you a reason to care about lives. If you did happen to lose all of them then the only penalty is reloading the file with a fresh stock of lives (providing you were saving, which you probably would be doing). Same with Sunshine. That isn't much of a reason to care.

Even if life collecting has become easier in the newer games, I don't think much has really changed in regards to how players perceive lives. For a long time it's been a counter that's been meaningless, though maybe Nintendo should stop pretending and just remove lives altogether. Link gets by just fine with a death counter, for example.

Sep 15, 12 at 4:24am
Gotenks

Those checkpoints still exist in the newer games Distortion. Well in NSMB2 they do. When you die, you go back to the checkpoint and if you die like 5-8 times(can't remember the exact number), you get an item that makes you invincible unless you fall into a pit. The game is basically set up so you never get the game over no more and doesn't even provide a real challenge. One website said that NSMB2 was gonna be the hardest Mario platform game but they had it completely wrong as it is the easiest. It's easy to get 10 lives in one level if you collect 1,000 coins in one level and it's not like the levels are even design to provide much of a challenge. It's sickening.

If they are making it so you will have more of a challenge to try and fail then succeed then they are making the game wrong imo. Later levels need to have challenges. Not be as easy as the first world.