Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Books & Literature » Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn) » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Welcome to the Books & Literature forum! Have a seat, stay a while.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Sep 04, 12 at 10:34amGolden Miru warrior

Genres: Mystery, Thriller, Suspense

quote goodreads
On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

With her razor-sharp writing and trademark psychological insight, Gillian Flynn delivers a fast-paced, devilishly dark, and ingeniously plotted thriller that confirms her status as one of the hottest writers around.

In addition to being one of 2012's most talked about and best-selling books, Gone Girl is the topic of this month's Neo Book Club. This thread will take on the purpose of the club's discussion for the next month.

Reading begins once the book is in your hands, but spoiler tags must be applied for the respective parts until the marked calendar day has passed.
When in doubt, refer to this:

Participants:
Golden Miru warrior
Celes Leonhart
Toby
Matty
Mouldy Cheese
Wilhelm Ryan
spikerdude
Anton Herrera

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 16, 12 at 5:24pm
EricF

Just finished reading it.

I'm also Team Nick. Amy is an absolute bastard.

Oct 01, 12 at 4:40pm
Celes Leonhart

I'm totally #TeamMatty. Although complete on-board on first finish, ever since it's been digging me away that Nick never really achieves redemption. No stalemate, just lose lose lose. I guess it's a compromise.

Felt bad for Desi really. Complete weirdo freak etc etc but I think the wrath of Amy should be reserved for those in the Hitler Tier of Hell as opposed to those with good intentions though a little skewered.

On that final note, I agree: hats off to Golden Miru warrior for the suggestion, may never have read this otherwise and very glad I have done. One of the most impressive books I've enjoyed.

Oct 01, 12 at 12:53pm
Matty

Finished book finally! I took a hiatus for a while due to other commitments, but slammed through the end of Part 2 and Part 3 yesterday and today.

All I can say regarding the closing segments is, how could anyone be Team Amy?! To me, she is just one of the most disgusting unlikable characters ever... Her dissection of her views on 'human nature', on 'cool girls' and how they don't exist, her duplicity between her written and mental states in the book, her inner thoughts regarding Andie, her pompous anonymous notes... To me all her actions just cut into me (the seduction of Desi, the 'baby voice, pouted lip' speech to Nick at the end, the )... Her master plan is indeed genius and stupidly well thought out, but I cannot grant her any salvation on account of her actions.

Still hate Desi more though! Their sex scene was lols

This is what makes the ending really depressing to me. I still feel like Nick loses and loses bad... He has to live with this murderer, take the blame for the bad marriage, he's lost Go, and just seems to be utterly castrated. To me, Nick's 'realization' that even after all she'd done, he still thought she was the only way he could be a good person or be able to like himself, was really saddening. And again, the final snare and betrayal in the manner by which Amy falls pregnant grates on me.

On the writing, once again, hats off to Flynn for being able to capture completely different moods and evoke the images of completely distinct thought patterns and feels of basically three characters (Nick, Diary Amy and Actual Amy). Parts 2 and 3 were a rollercoaster. Barely any breathing space as one big event led effortlessly into the next, and both storylines remained fascinating. Too many times in books like this, I'd grow much more invested in one character/plotline and be impatient with any other angles or characters that were focused upon. This book depressed me in all the right ways, and was so current and relatable in today's media-soaked, romance-less times, at least to me.

Great read in the end, and thanks to the book club for getting me to experience it!

Sep 25, 12 at 6:10pm
Mouldy Cheese

quote Golden Miru warrior
Noelle always seemed anywhere from desperate to annoying, even after Amy's version offers an explicit definition of the (exploitative) friendship.
She was annoying...I'm not doubting that fact at all. Did she really have to be so melodramatic and drag her kids with her into the spotlight for the on-stage revelation that Amy was pregnant? That's more than a little bit mental. What I meant earlier was that I believed they were friends despite Nick's incredulous reaction whenever it was brought up. I was surprised at that the story about Amy calling the truck driving company over a series of months to get the driver who cut her off. For some reason that really gets to me and I'm still not sure whether it's in a positive or negative way. But it's one of the moments that I think really led us to believe Amy's character...if that makes any semblance of sense. Yes, there's the whole husband-framing for murder thing, but the addition of something that's such a common occurrence and her brilliant, yet slightly extreme, response to it was probably the moment that the character of Amy really clicked for me.

So, Amy's diary has just been "found" and I'm very curious as to where it was found (and want hint she gave on the tip line) so I'm going to read for a little longer (page 320!).

Sep 25, 12 at 10:34am
Celes Leonhart

I think in the second part there's an exception to that? I forgot Amy even mentioned that but I noticed it regardless, then I'm sure it was broken. Maybe not. Amy knows who to manipulate.

Sep 25, 12 at 7:51am
Golden Miru warrior

I keep telling people in my life about this book and I usually start with 'Well, it's a true crime book that never happened' and then wrestle with how much to give away.

She really is an excellent writer. I did not pick up on the fact that the answer is always C. Good pull, Mouldy.

Noelle always seemed anywhere from desperate to annoying, even after Amy's version offers an explicit definition of the (exploitative) friendship.

Sep 25, 12 at 7:21am
Celes Leonhart

I think me and Golden both propelled through Part 2 at an unstoppable pace. I'm Team Nick all the way.

Sep 25, 12 at 5:51am
Mouldy Cheese

quote Celes Leonhart
Look forward to your brain melt.
Haha, here it is:

ERRRRRRRAHSASSS HOOOOLLYYYY SMOOKES HOW DID...WHEN DID...ARGHJS.

Yowza. That completely blind-sided me. I'm about 2/3 of the way through the book now (I swear, once I hit part 2 I've been positively flying through it! And you know what? I'm totally Team Amy. Even though she's a complete psychopath, she is an absolute evil genius and, Nick is a wang. Maybe he doesn't deserve to die because of it (and I'll hate to see Amy die at the end of this if it ends up playing out that way. I'd like both of them to get away with it, tbh), but he's still a bit of a douche and he probably deserves a bit of an ass-whooping. Again, not death, but some embarrassment.

Calling it a night right now, just too much excitement! If I read any more, I won't be able to sleep!

Sep 25, 12 at 5:15am
Celes Leonhart

I was going to be sad we had another #TeamAmy member to join Golden Miru warrior but luckily you pulled it back at the end of paragraph one there.

It's really hard to not reply because there's one thing in particular I want to bring up and give you a pat on the back for but you've got approximately one page to go before I'm allowed to...and hopefully have read that by the time you come back here.

I'd completely forgotten about Noelle in my Part 1 summary. It's great though because my opinion was completely the opposite: I thought she was batshit from start to finish, just like every other Amy stalker.

Look forward to your brain melt.

Sep 25, 12 at 4:01am
Mouldy Cheese

Okay, so a little behind the times but powering through regardless of that little fact! I've just finished the end of part 1 and have closed the book so I can frame my current thoughts for you all, despite the fact you have more knowledge about the latter half of the book and will probably be all "Ohohoho, wait until you see what's next!". So shoosh.

Part 1

Wow. Okay, this is a really well written, well paced and well thought out book. The level of characterisation is insanely good and incredibly well written; both Nick and Amy parts have such depth that I wholly believe they are two different people. It's almost like reading non-fiction. In fact, I'm tempted to look it up and make sure it's not non-fiction. Flynn is an outstanding writer, she's proven that much thus far. Nick...well, I'm not entirely sure what to make of him. Although he's the narrator through which almost all of the events in the book have happened through, I just can't bring myself to trust (or relate to) him. Aside from the obvious lines like "It was my fifth lie to the police" (boy, you can bet that I'll be coming back later to that chapter to see if I can count them all!) that let us know he's not such a great guy, there's something fundamentally unhinged about him that sets my nerves a little on edge. It's similar with Amy's diary entries; despite her upbeat attitude about their future or little spats they had, it doesn't seem genuine.

I keep coming back to little things like...the way that Nick and Amy use similar wording. There was a great example that I noticed when reading it, but for the love of me I can't remember what it was! And the way that she gives us hints like "the answer is always C" and then it really IS C every time she gives us a little quiz of hers. I love those little nuances. I'm warranting a guess that the re-read I do will be just as entertaining as the first time around.

As for the other characters, Andie seems too naive to have had anything to do with it. She's almost the embodiment of all things that Amy said that she never wanted to be like to her husband; needy, constantly wanting reassurance of his love and affection for her, testing him to see how far he goes even in a time of such crisis. It's ironic, really, that Nick falls for Andie. Noelle seems like a legitimate concerned friend, which makes me think that Amy probably was friends with her, but Nick didn't know much about it. From what we've heard, Amy spends her days at home with little to do, and I can imagine that Noelle (with triplets and all) probably has a lot of free time as well. Why couldn't they be close friends? When Nick is spending his time all over Andie, it makes sense that he might not have noticed his wife's friendship (and from what we've heard, in the past she only kept friends for less than a month...maybe he just stopped listening?).

Anyway, that's kind of all I can write right now because I'm DYING to turn the page and see what happens after the "nonononono!" of Nick walking into the shed. EEP!