Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » FIFA Soccer 13 » Improving the Quality of Posting for the FIFA 13 forum » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Hey!

Please read the FIFA 13 Rules and Guidelines before posting to ensure that your posts do not breach any of the existing sitewide or forum-specific rules and regulations.

Also, it is extremely beneficial to everyone if posts are easy to read and comprehend. Correct spelling and basic punctuation make posts seem less clustered and promotes a good image of the poster. Additionally, it is easier to get your point across if your post is easy to understand.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

AS Roma Brisbane Roar Australia MK Dons Elgin City Hibernian FC Barcelona Real Madrid Hellas Verona Lazio Liverpool FC Fluminense Some United Bloke Atalanta Bologna Partick Thistle Palermo Parma Napoli Torino Bromley AFC Bournemouth Arsenal Aston Villa Barnsley Birmingham Blackburn Rovers Blackpool Bolton Wanderers Bradford Brentford Burnley Cardiff City Charlton Athletic Chelsea Chesterfield Crewe Crystal Palace Derby County Everton Exeter Fulham Grimsby Hull City Ipswich Leeds United Leicester City Luton Town Manchester City Manchester United Middlesbrough FC Millwall Newcastle United Norwich Nottingham Forest Peterborough Portsmouth QPR Reading Rotherham United Sheffield United Sheffield Wednesday Southampton Southend United Stevenage Stoke City Swansea Tottenham Tranmere Rovers Watford West Bromwich Albion West Ham Wigan Wolves England FC United of Manchester Olympiakos Milan Fiorentina WC14 Algeria WC14 Argentina WC14 Australia Leighton Baines 3 Leighton Baines Leighton Baines 2 WC14 Belgium WC14 Bosnia and Herzegovina Borussia Dortmund WC14 Brazil Cagliari Catania Aberdeen Celtic Chester WC14 Chile Verona WC14 Ivory Coast WC14 Cameroon WC14 Colombia WC14 Costa Rica WC14 Croatia WC14 Ecuador WC14 England WC14 Spain WC14 France Genoa WC14 Germany WC14 Ghana WC14 Greece Heart of Midlothian WC14 Honduras Casillas Inter WC14 Iran WC14 Italy WC14 Japan Juventus WC14 South Korea Siena WC14 Mexico WC14 Holland WC14 Nigeria Lyon Pescara WC14 Portugal Rangers Real Salt Lake Rugby Town WC14 Russia Sunderland AFC Sampdoria WC14 Switzerland Totti 1 Totti 2 Udinese WC14 Uruguay WC14 USA Van Der Vaart

hideOriginal Post

Sep 04, 12 at 8:03amCosLamp

As many of you will be aware, the FIFA 11 and FIFA 12 forums are widely regarded as the lowest points in the series' history on neo, in terms of the quality of the discussion and posters in general.

The problem has risen from a decrease in the average age of posters to what seems to be about 12, and this makes the FIFA forum a very taxing read for anyone of a basic intellectual standard.

quote FootballManagerBoy
quote KillaAshley
quote FootballManagerBoy
Is Crystal Palace any good to manage.. I like Ambrose and Scannell on Fifa..
no.
Liverpool it is then...

My Dad is managing Chelsea on Fifa first season.. he signed Javi Martinez.. and Thiago Silva..
These 3 posts are the last 3 from FIFA 12's career mode discussion thread. Are they on topic? Technically. Are they the kind of posts people read through the thread to try and find? Absolutely not.

This is the problem with the forum at the moment, in that inane, shallow posts like these ones make up the majority of the discussion. Over the last 2 pages worth of the thread, 30 posts, there are 4 posts actually relevant to the original point of the threads, updates on people's career mode games. The rest is vapid chat about "Who should I be next? Pick from this list and then I'll ignore your suggestions and choose a Chelsea game I'll keep up for a day"

This isn't intended solely as a rant, but a guide to help a lot of the people who post shite like this:

Need a team who I can get good loan signings in Delfounso, and stuff like them

TEAM IN CHAMPIONSHIP WITH UPDATED LEAGUES.. WOLVES AND SHEFF WED IN CHAMPIONSHIP FOR EG

QUICK REPLIES
Post things a bit more relevant to the discussions at hand, things that people may actually want to read, instead. With luck, some of you will read this and step up your posting so that the FIFA forums stop becoming such a shitehole.

The vicious cycle of shit posts> attract shit posters > more shit posts CAN be reversed, and if we manage to assemble a mentally capable crowd for this year, the forum's place in neo might be viewed a bit more favourably. Everybody wins.

STEP 1
Ask Yourself: Will my post/thread contribute anything of value to the forum?

I'm going to focus on last year's Career Mode Discussion threads in this guide, as a good case study of a lot of what was wrong with the FIFA 12 forum. In the space of a year, you got through 30 of these threads, compared to 7 the year before. And yet, if you condense the threads down to purely the story updates themselves, you'd struggle to fill 2 or 3.

This is because a lot of what gets posted simply has no need to be there. So, before you even post, ask yourself: Will my reply contribute anything to the discussion?

Perhaps you just want to let a fellow member know that you enjoyed reading their update. That's fine. Do so by showing an interest. I'd much rather get questions about my updates than simply someone saying "Nice update"

Good Feedback

Great decision to loan in Jese. One of the best young players in the game IMO. Your academy looks excellent. 5/5* scouts I assume?
The comment on my signings shows he's actually read the update, and formed an opinion on it. I'm glad to see someone rates my transfer decision, but would be equally glad to see a reply like "Be careful with Jese, found he lacks stamina to keep up in the busy lower leagues." The key is that he's shown an interest in the update itself, which is the point of posting it in a discussion forum.

Bad Feedback

HES BACK. ^

EDIT - New page fail
I'd not posted for a while, and then I posted. Stating the obvious contributes nothing to the thread and wastes everyone's time.

STEP 2
Ask Yourself: Is my post relevant to THIS thread?

Obviously, shit feedback isn't the only thing that clogs up those threads. A lot of the shit chat can be cut out by taking it to PM or to the General Discussion thread provided for that very purpose.

But the thing that gets me is the posts like this.
Need a team who I can get good loan signings in Delfounso, and stuff like them

TEAM IN CHAMPIONSHIP WITH UPDATED LEAGUES.. WOLVES AND SHEFF WED IN CHAMPIONSHIP FOR EG

QUICK REPLIES
As FIFA 13's release date gets closer, I'll be creating a thread to hopefully deal with this constantly recurring problem, the people who shout "WHO SHOULD I BE NEXT WHO SHOULD I BE NEXT?!?!111one1" and then choose a team anyway without listening to replies.

(Fwiw, the thread will be used to suggest decent teams, goals and challenges for players to undertake, much like the Recommended Players thread, but for entire Career Mode games.)

The problem is two way here, and the best way to cut out the irrelevant shit like that is to simply not reply. PQTE. It works, surprisingly quickly. By being nice and playing along, you encourage the next brainless meff to do the exact same.

STEP 3
Making your posts easier to read

TYPING IN ALL CAPS won't help you get your point across.

not using any punctuation can make your point sometimes hard to understand dont get annoyed when we dont understand what your point is if you dont use punctuation its also harder to read in general

Good spelling and grammar helps make your posts easier to read and comprehend. Updates that are easier to read are more likely to be read, discussed and evolved upon. Split heavy blocks of text into paragraphs when you change subjects, perhaps talk about your new signing in one paragraph, then start a new paragraph to talk about your pre season.

Use a bit of creative flair to pad out your stories. Yes, things like team talks, interviews and off-the-ptich drama don't actually happen in FIFA, but here's the thing, that means you can make them up! It adds a little extra content to your updates and again, makes people more likely to read and discuss them. Do you see where all this is going yet?

Specific Tips for Career Mode Story writers

This is where the big jump will come in quality. Use a bit of creativity and originality in your writing. My Lazio updates were highly regarded because I did things a little differently. While ex managers were dying in car crashes left right and centre, Fabio Galletti got hit by a flare during El Clasico, justifying his move back to Lazio from Madrid. It was a different approach when everyone else was doing the same bloody thing. So guess which got noticed? Go your own way with everything, from signings to writing styles to layout.

Play around with the markup tags, things like [ pre], [ float=right/left/center] and [ hr] can be used to make your updates prettier and better organised. Put in images, colours, bold headlines or italic quotes to add a little more interest to your updates and people will be more likely to want to read and discuss your update.

It's the first step on a slippery slope to recovery for this forum.

PS #coslamp4mod

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Nov 25, 12 at 4:38pm
Wakaman

And to be fair, the game itself isn't making things easier for us. Like I can't for the life of me get to the 15 minute mark of any online game because I get booted from the servers. This is especially frustrating when I want to play a VP online game, I spend 30 minutes just trying to get into the menus, for it to boot me 3 minutes into the game/freeze in the loading screen.

I know I'd be posting more often if I had something to talk about.

Nov 25, 12 at 3:46pm
Chelsea Mint FC

Can't believe I've only seen this now. It's a shame it hasn't really been embraced, but from my experience with moderating, forums such as these depend on the community, and it just seems there is no community. No disrespect who mods the forums, but a greater effort is needed in regulatin the threads and such, because 90% of the threads are utter shit. Opening the forum, all you see is an abundance of crap threads - so why are we allowing this? It just condones the behaviour.

There is also a lack of anything community related. There are plenty of people that visit the forum, but there is no reason for them to post or stay around, so if effort was put in by the mod to create something community related or something that stimulates actual discussion. Fifa 12 could have just been called, 'career mode discussion forum' because that what it became.

By no way is rejuvenating a forum easy, but there is a lot more that can be done by all.

Nov 24, 12 at 1:45pm
CosLamp

I'd like to congratulate you all on doing a fantastic job of this. It's really a much more respectable, intelligent posting environment here.

Sep 22, 12 at 3:14am
D3structor

quote Pro King
quote D3structor
quote Pappi
I don't think you really want to be a mod here. It really is brain numbing. The only way it could be done is with ridiculously harsh punishments that keeps away the troll posters. Other than that, you can't just kick people out because they're stupid. I know it's not pleasant to read but I think we need a bit more tolerance.

I tried to help some of the people in the FIFA 12 forum but they didn't take it on board. I think part of the problem as well was that everyone migrated the forum when the retards came instead of standing strong and making their posts irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure you had me in mind typing that. In the FIFA 13 forum guys, i'll try to be a much better poster. and tbh Pappi you were the best mod we had since i came. Danger i dont remember much of, and sigge had that argument with PEStar that made me lose any respect for him as mod.

Also, who do you think doesn't really want to be a mod? CosLamp and PEStar???

Where has PEStar gone, haven't seen him here for ages. :L
Maybe he's lost interest in being mod

Sep 22, 12 at 3:10am
Pro King

quote D3structor
quote Pappi
I don't think you really want to be a mod here. It really is brain numbing. The only way it could be done is with ridiculously harsh punishments that keeps away the troll posters. Other than that, you can't just kick people out because they're stupid. I know it's not pleasant to read but I think we need a bit more tolerance.

I tried to help some of the people in the FIFA 12 forum but they didn't take it on board. I think part of the problem as well was that everyone migrated the forum when the retards came instead of standing strong and making their posts irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure you had me in mind typing that. In the FIFA 13 forum guys, i'll try to be a much better poster. and tbh Pappi you were the best mod we had since i came. Danger i dont remember much of, and sigge had that argument with PEStar that made me lose any respect for him as mod.

Where has PEStar gone, haven't seen him here for ages. :L

Sep 22, 12 at 1:11am
D3structor

quote Pappi

Sep 21, 12 at 11:31am
DjedwardSmith

It's Sigges fault tbh. He was the ringleader.

Sep 21, 12 at 9:21am
Pappi

Sep 20, 12 at 10:17am
D3structor

quote LegendOfNufc
quote D3structor
quote JonesLFC
quote Jamesy
Why does anyone actually care about quality of posting haha?
Because for the last few years most of the best members have left and a load of 12 yr old noobs took over, posting shite. The forum and community has been (and still is) awful.
Few years?

JonesLFC

Since: Jul 2012

He had an old account.
Oh fair enough apologies JonesLFC

Sep 20, 12 at 10:17am
LegendOfNufc

quote D3structor
quote JonesLFC
quote Jamesy
Why does anyone actually care about quality of posting haha?
Because for the last few years most of the best members have left and a load of 12 yr old noobs took over, posting shite. The forum and community has been (and still is) awful.
Few years?

JonesLFC

Since: Jul 2012

He had an old account.