Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Madden NFL 13 » First impressions » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Aug 28, 12 at 4:53pmWilhelm Ryan

So, I picked up Madden 13 today, and I must say, this is easily the best Madden yet. Better than Madden 05, even. I'm loving the menus, and the new franchise. Weekly practices are back, and I love how you gain XP for players, and get to progress them that way. Kind of makes older players more useful, instead of losing overall points after they turn 30.

The new physics engine is amazing. I played my first regular season game (Cowboys @ Giants) and lost 17-24, and I wasn't even pissed with the loss. No interceptions, and only one turnover on a fumble. In Madden 12, I would've thrown at least 5 interceptions. I like how if you throw an interception, you just know it was your fault, you can't blame it on the CPU who has a linebacker that can jump 20 feet into the air.

I haven't gotten too far into Madden, but I'm loving it so far. Even the commentary just seems to fit. I'm kind of missing not having a soundtrack (even though I did get tired of hearing "Ghetto Ghetto Dreams" last year). I love the news feed too for franchise, keeps things fresh.

Also, would anyone be interested in an online franchise? Jax06, BerryLee -- I'm lacking XBL until next week, but still, would be interested if anyone else is.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Sep 14, 12 at 2:27pm
rock8346

My brother loves this game!!

Sep 10, 12 at 6:46am
Wilhelm Ryan

quote finalfight
I went ahead and gave the game a rental. I think something that needs to be mentioned for anybody looking to pick up the game is that this version has no fantasy draft. Which, for people like me who spend the majority of their time just building different types of teams, is a pretty big deal. I can safely say that I will not be purchasing the game unless a fantasy draft is patched in at a later date.
Yeah, that was a bit disappointing. I liked doing fantasy drafts, both for the offline franchises and for the online leagues.

My connection at home is shit. I need a new router, and in the meantime, my connection is constantly dropping, or my Xbox just gives me shit when I try to connect to XBL. You have to be connected to the internet and Xbox Live to be able to play Ultimate Team this year, which is a bit disappointing. I'm not a huge fan of MUT, but I did like to play it once in awhile last year when I had nothing to do. But yeah, no internet connection, no MUT.

Also, I was a bit disappointed that you can only have one OFFLINE Connected Career going. You can have as many online careers as you want, but only one offline. Again, a bit disappointing, since there's so many ways to play this year. You could be an active coach, legendary coach, or make your own coach. Or... make your own player, be a legendary player, or an active NFL player. So, yeah. Really disappointed in that.

Also, I've updated my rosters twice since getting the game. However, the roster updates seem to have no effect on Connected Careers. I don't know why. >_> I guess there's going to be separate roster updates? I've been playing with the old rosters for Connected Career forever, although the rosters just updated again late last week, and I can't use those in career mode.

Sep 07, 12 at 5:27pm
CupidStunt

It's ordered!
Realised after watching Giants/Cowboys game, how much I wanted to play it.
Look forward to seeing what I make of it, and seeing how bad I am after not having had one since '10.

Sep 07, 12 at 7:59am
finalfight

I went ahead and gave the game a rental. I think something that needs to be mentioned for anybody looking to pick up the game is that this version has no fantasy draft. Which, for people like me who spend the majority of their time just building different types of teams, is a pretty big deal. I can safely say that I will not be purchasing the game unless a fantasy draft is patched in at a later date.

For those not as concerned about that though, the XP system for raising you players stats is a welcome addition. I do feel like some of the requirements are unrealistic of human players. 125 tackles over the course of a season is going to be pretty hard to pull off for 1 player, let alone my entire defensive line and MLB's. Not playing 7 minute quarters anyway. Luckily they also have quite a few more team oriented goals which are far more manageable.

Sep 03, 12 at 5:26pm
Wilhelm Ryan

If you're really into football, I'd say it's worth getting. There's some minor problems here and there, a lot of times I'm nitpicking, but I'd definitely say it's the best Madden since 2005.

Another things I seemed to notice is that the trading system is broken, seemingly. I started a Colts career, and in week five, I went to go ahead and trade Dwight Freeney. I wanted to put him on the trading block, but couldn't find the trading block anywhere (turns out, you have to go to roster > player you want > select "Put on Trade Block"). Even then, I can't figure out where to go to see your offers, or what other teams have on the trading block.

I eventually tried trading Dwight Freeney to the Dolphins for Vontae Davis, but they rejected. Just to see if they'd take the trade, I saved my game and traded Dwight Freeney (96 OVR) for Sheldon Brown (82 OVR) but they still wouldn't take the trade. Dolphins were pretty bare at OLB but stacked at CB, too.

And while I'm on the subject of my Colts career, I had probably my best comeback win ever. :> I was down 24-7 with less than a minute left in the 4th quarter, against the Packers, and came back to win 28-24.

Sep 03, 12 at 1:57pm
CupidStunt

I know that a few days isn't really enough time to give an accurate or detailed answer to this but, worth getting for near £40?

Been interested in NFL for a while but only properly got into it last year, watching every game that was televised over here in England.

Latest I had was Madden '10, i'd assume much has changed?

Sep 03, 12 at 1:21am
Seproth

quote Wilhelm Ryan
I've noticed that recently as well, especially at running back. If you run into one of your O-Line guys who's blocking a defender, even if the defender doesn't do anything to try and tackle you, you still usually fall down.
Yeah, the new physics makes things better, but the players have zero balance, and don't react properly to being hit. It's a lot like watching football if everyone couldn't bend their knees and the slightest impact around chest/shoulder up would make them tip over.

quote Wilhelm Ryan
It's a small complaint, since the computer is still a dumbass at those kind of things. Also, I've yet to figure out as to why the computer takes a timeout at 1:01 on the second and fourth quarters. Always at 1:01, even if they just hurried the ball and are about to snap.
I would say it's a small complaint, except that it's been a problem for years. It's really time for them to fix AI playcalling. To me giving you control like that is a shortcut to fixing the AI from calling stretches and draws with under a minute to go, or like you said taking unnecessary timeouts.

All in all, I enjoy the game as a quarterback, but everything else seems to be an exercise in frustration, it's worse for the fact that it's close to being genuinely good.

Sep 02, 12 at 8:59am
Wilhelm Ryan

quote Seproth
Playing as a linebacer, and I just fall over everyone, and regularly get ran over and tackled by teammates. Also, it's supposed to be weight based but they all fall over the place and appear to be almost weightless. It seems suction blocking is the worst thing of all though. I find my backer regularly getting blocked by backs that are out of position instead of getting sacks. I don't like that it doesn't flip the camera anymore either.
I've noticed that recently as well, especially at running back. If you run into one of your O-Line guys who's blocking a defender, even if the defender doesn't do anything to try and tackle you, you still usually fall down. I had my wide-receivers run into each other once on a slant play. It pissed me off, but at the same time, I was kind of glad. In past Maddens, they run right through each other.

quote Seproth
As a Superstar I don't understand why I'm in charge of injured players, deciding 4th down calls, or why I control the snap count *unless I'm QB. Although I do like that you can finally hear color commentary, despite the fact they regularly call backs wide outs, and corners linebackers, and talk shit about a QB checking the ball down, etc...
Yeah, I'm not sure why they did that. I do like that you can control the O-Line as running back, it helps out quite a bit. But, why am I in control of snapping the ball at running back? It's a small complaint, since the computer is still a dumbass at those kind of things. Also, I've yet to figure out as to why the computer takes a timeout at 1:01 on the second and fourth quarters. Always at 1:01, even if they just hurried the ball and are about to snap.

Another thing I don't like is that they took out fantasy draft for online leagues. That's a bit irritating, since that was what made them so much fun in the first place. Also, I wish they'd add a "restart" feature to Madden Moments. That was a complaint I had last year as well, it's a pain in the ass to go all the way back out, and back in, if you fail a Madden Moment.

Even though I hardly play Madden Ultimate Team, my friend does, and he said he had to make a new team. Pretty damn stupid. If you can import NCAA draft classes, shouldn't you be able to import your MUT from last year? All that hard work gone.

Sep 01, 12 at 7:22pm
Seproth

I'm not liking the physics engine at all really, it's a step in the right direction, but it's undercooked as hell. Tackles are improved, but that's it.

Playing as a linebacer, and I just fall over everyone, and regularly get ran over and tackled by teammates. Also, it's supposed to be weight based but they all fall over the place and appear to be almost weightless. It seems suction blocking is the worst thing of all though. I find my backer regularly getting blocked by backs that are out of position instead of getting sacks. I don't like that it doesn't flip the camera anymore either.

I play almost exclusively Superstar/Be a Pro. The twitter feed and news is much improved, but the xp system is horrible. Maximum XP gained in a practice is 1000XP and minimum upgrade is 2500XP which means it takes 3 weeks to get one point, usually a minor skill, upgraded once. Which is a nightmare if you're not a starter and can't obtain goal based XP. If you don't regularly play, you're screwed and will never reach your season goals.

As a Superstar I don't understand why I'm in charge of injured players, deciding 4th down calls, or why I control the snap count *unless I'm QB. Although I do like that you can finally hear color commentary, despite the fact they regularly call backs wide outs, and corners linebackers, and talk shit about a QB checking the ball down, etc...

Aug 31, 12 at 8:59am
Wilhelm Ryan

I'm not sure myself. I'm without Live for awhile, and I haven't really done much with the game outside of the offline franchise mode.

Out of curiosity though, I did go ahead and save my game after I won the last game I played. I went through and simulated the rest of the regular season, so I could get an idea of what the off-season would be like this year. Sadly, my game froze for seemingly no reason, so I never got a chance to see what the off-season was going to bring.

Nonetheless, so far, I'm 4-2 in my Cowboys franchise. My only losses being to the undefeated New York Giants and the Baltimore Ravens. Really loving how realistic it feels this year. I actually don't mind losing; in Madden 12, I could squash any team in All-Pro; but I'd never boost it up to All-Madden because that was like getting raped by the computer. Seriously, I'd win almost every time with at least a 50-point difference. This year is a lot different, the best I've done so far is a 35-0 win against the Buccs.