Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » League of Legends » Purple Team Perspective At A Disadvantage? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

AD Carry Mage Jungler Support Top Lane

hideOriginal Post

Aug 26, 12 at 3:17pmFury

Does anyone else feel at a disadvantage when using skill shots while on purple team?

My friends and I agree that when facing downward (i.e. purple team), the camera perspective causes the range indicators to appear that they are reaching further than they really are. Perhaps you can blame it on inexperience as well, but there are many times when my range indicator is clearly overlapping an enemy champion, yet the ability fails to reach when activated.

What's even worst is when going against flying champions while on purple team, Kayle possibly being the worst. Flying causes the champs to appear further along on the ground than they really are.

I suppose the best way to explain the cause of the problem is the fact that the range indicators cover a 2D plane over everything, while the champions exist in 3D. Height is just a myth as far as the range indicators are concerned, so the higher the champs are from the ground (and therefore closer to the camera), the worst the effect is. Try using Darius's grab against Kayle at various distances while on purple team to see what I mean. Of course, the more squarely the enemy champs back is shown on your perspective, the worst the effect is.

I think the game should actually highlight the champions with a different color as the range indicator covers them. So if a skill shot is capable of passing through 20% of an enemy champ's model, then their model should be 20% highlighted to indicate just how far it will reach.

Of course, maybe myself and the people I've talked to about this are just imagining this. Does anyone else have this problem?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Sep 06, 12 at 5:42pm
Etherlight

0:30

Sep 06, 12 at 4:57pm
Tiger go Meow

quote DC Sniper
This isn't particularly relevant to the discussion but I always feel like Blue Team is at an innate disadvantage for some reason. I've lost far more games as Blue than Purple so much that I've actually noticed it.
You should see the fun when the beam misses them by a whole character width and STILL hits them...

Spirits, I love Lux.

Sep 06, 12 at 1:57pm
Lorx

Waaaaay long ago you could flip the camera so that whatever team you were on had either perspective, which was nice.

I love being top lane as purple because I have access to double golems, but other than that I generally prefer blue.

Sep 06, 12 at 1:38pm
WakeCraterWind

I always found Purple team to be a slight disadvantage, but that's only because sometimes the enemy champion's lifebar blocks the minion's lifebar, making it slightly harder to CS, and also because Dragon is closer to blue, meaning Shen, my main champ, has an extremely safe time sneaking dragon because at the first sign of trouble he could just dash over the wall to be home free.

Sep 06, 12 at 8:57am
Grimdark

quote Tiger go Meow
While other times people just barely outside the beam get scorched.
Omfg I know right, it's incredibly annoying when you have a split second to tell if that beam is going to hit you or not.

Sep 06, 12 at 6:04am
Tiger go Meow

I never liked purple just because something about it felt off.

And on the Lux, Ez, etc skillshots - Yeah, that Lux ult sometimes doesn't hit people clearly in its path. I've had this issue expressly on the purple side only, however. Never had an issue going from bottom map to top map with her skillshots, but going top towards bottom the aiming feels slightly different.

I've even watched the big laser and red lasers actually pass through someone with no bubbles and get away with no damage at all. While other times people just barely outside the beam get scorched.

Sep 06, 12 at 4:50am
lucedeoangel

I hate being purple. It's more natural for me to scroll up rather then down, and I seem to have more arguments with the camera as purple.

Sep 06, 12 at 4:48am
Grimdark

This isn't particularly relevant to the discussion but I always feel like Blue Team is at an innate disadvantage for some reason. I've lost far more games as Blue than Purple so much that I've actually noticed it.

Aug 28, 12 at 10:59am
Archangel

Since this is a 2D game, the hitbox of the characters is actually at their feet, so in a certain sense, yes, the purple team does have a disadvantage because it needs to go a tad bit further than if you were on the blue side.

Aug 28, 12 at 10:03am
Fury

quote Fluroclad
Do you unlock your camera?
Yeah, I keep it unlocked. I think that's actually a second problem purple team has though. When searching for the problem I had, I found another thread on the official forums of someone who claimed that since the camera is facing north, you can't see as far south, so a locked camera player facing south can be attacked by even non-global moves without being able to see neither the move nor the champ. Or for when they're attacking, their range exceeds their view.

quote Azuma
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the skillshot not hitting. Do you mean more towards the end of the skillshot? As I know a couple of skillshot animations are longer than the actual damage range. So it may look like you hit the champion, but that is only the animation that hit and not the actual effect. A good example of this would be Ezreal's W, it is wider than the animation shows, but the effect doesn't go as far as it is shown. If you mean it is in the middle of the length of the skillshot than I have no clue. Perhaps lag could be the issue if that is the case?
No, it's not that. It's hard to explain in words. The simplest way I can put it is that the camera is facing north at an angle of like 60 degrees or so. I believe because of this, the taller a champion is that's facing north, the further along they appear to be to someone aiming south, because the range indicators are on a flat plane, so they can be misleading. Sometimes the indicator will appear to intersect but they are actually too far away.