Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » ReQuests, Feedback and Suggestions » [Suggestion] More Specific Notification Wording » Post Reply

Note to Guests: This forum is only for issues related to neoseeker.com. Please, do not post questions related to games. RFS is for site related discussion. If you require gaming help, check the forum directory here and search for the correct forum.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Aug 25, 12 at 9:15am

i dont think notifications are specific enough. rather than saying that someone did something or other in a forum message, why not just say that you were mentioned/quoted in *INSERT THREAD TITLE HERE*? saves me the hassle of opening a bunch of threads, only to realise i just replied to them a few seconds ago.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Aug 28, 12 at 6:37pm
Dynamite

I don't think we really need to be debating too heavily the potential usefulness of this proposed tweak. It would obviously be a little more user-friendly if people were given more information in notification messages such as the title of threads where the notification event occurred. That's a given.

As I understand it, the system is implemented in such a way right now that notification events aren't actually aware of what they are notifying about. They're limited to just knowing what type they are and nothing more about the context in which they appear. In order for a notification to retrieve a thread title from the topic to which the post belongs, additional processing would be required for every notification sent out which is probably the biggest concern with implementing this ahead of everything else, actually.

Aug 26, 12 at 1:03pm
Giga Bowser

This happens to me all the time and I would love to see this suggestion put into place. Like if some person notifies me twice, but in different threads. However, I've already seen one of their notifications. Now I have to open both of them because I'm not sure which one is the one I've already seen.

It just saves time and eliminates hassle. I see absolutely no reason why this shouldn't be implemented.

Aug 26, 12 at 9:42am
Rondo

I don't have slow internet connection or have too many notifications so I open every of my notifications in a new tab. If it were duplicates I'll just close the tab. I don't think the suggestion is very useful but maybe a nice little tweak some time in the future.

Aug 26, 12 at 9:35am
Zaicon

Kaiba
That's true, but it doesn't always work out that way. You might have notifications from the same person on multiple threads. You might have so many notifications that figuring out which notifications came from which thread takes a long time. Or, you may not be able (or simply don't want to) keep track of what notifications you saw in a particular thread (or you simply miss a notification if there are a lot of posts in a thread).

Adding hiigaran's suggestion basically eliminates the need to do any of the above. Necessary? No. Helpful? I think so.

EDIT: Yes, there are ways to go around this (as Kaiba and Rondo pointed out), but the point of this thread is to submit a suggestion that would help people that, for one reason or another, don't want to take the long way.

Aug 26, 12 at 9:32am
hiigaran

Erm. Are you saying you don't click the links? Because there certainly is a name to the thread if you follow the link.
thats the entire point of the suggestion...so that you dont have to click the links to see what thread you were notified in.

Aug 26, 12 at 9:25am
Kaiba

quote hiigaran
how would i know what the thread is if theres no thread name?
Erm. Are you saying you don't click the links? Because there certainly is a name to the thread if you follow the link.

quote Zaicon
Kaiba
Say you have four notifications. You open the first one, go to the thread, read through the posts, reply to the thread, whatever. Now, you open the second notification, and the notification came from a different person in the same thread. You have already read through that thread so following that notification is a waste of time (which can be prevented if you knew which thread the notifications were from). There is no way, currently, to tell if two+ notifications are in the same thread or not.
I have never had this problem. When I follow a notification, I tend to see other posts in the same thread that mention me, and I immediately know they gave me the other pending notifications I have.

And by "tend to" I mean "always".

Aug 26, 12 at 8:48am
Zaicon

Kaiba
Say you have four notifications. You open the first one, go to the thread, read through the posts, reply to the thread, whatever. Now, you open the second notification, and the notification came from a different person in the same thread. You have already read through that thread so following that notification is a waste of time (which can be prevented if you knew which thread the notifications were from). There is no way, currently, to tell if two+ notifications are in the same thread or not.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Aug 26, 12 at 8:46am
hiigaran

The situation you described, hiigaran, should not happen to anyone. I highly doubt that it actually happens to you.
when i hover over the link in the notifications, the link to your post is a post ID: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/directmessage.php?m=33463589
it is not the thread link with an anchor to your post, which would be something like: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/15/t1756038-mentioned-quoted-you-in/#*NUMBER*

Now that I've notified you, are you going to reply, then immediately forget what thread this was and navigate to it again to check for recent replies? I think not.
how would i know what the thread is if theres no thread name? in this case, you rarely notify me, but others notify me multiple times. i would not know what threads they notified me from, or if it is even from a thread i subscribe to/participate in.

Aug 26, 12 at 8:28am
Kaiba

The situation you described, hiigaran, should not happen to anyone. I highly doubt that it actually happens to you.

Now that I've notified you, are you going to reply, then immediately forget what thread this was and navigate to it again to check for recent replies? I think not.

If this is not what you meant, then you are making even less sense. Not even before the notification system was introduced did we have this problem. Not once did I reply to a thread without knowing what the thread was.

Why exactly do you find yourself opening a bunch of threads that you've just posted in? After I post this, I can't think of any reason I would open this thread again expecting something new.

The best I can figure is that you'll follow a notification, and completely ignore the thread title, and just respond to the linked post, apparently requiring no context regarding what the thread is about.

Aug 26, 12 at 4:14am
hiigaran

it doesnt tell you anything about what thread it is until you have loaded the page. it links to a post ID, so the link doesnt show the thread name, either.