Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » ReQuests, Feedback and Suggestions » [Suggestion] Increase Avatar Dimensions » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: This forum is only for issues related to neoseeker.com. Please, do not post questions related to games. RFS is for site related discussion. If you require gaming help, check the forum directory here and search for the correct forum.

hideOriginal Post

Aug 14, 12 at 4:49pmVast

You're allowed to upload an avatar up to 100x100 but it will get resized to 65x65.

I suggest that it actually let's you see the avatars at the 100x100 size.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 08, 13 at 11:50am
JacqueseVonRIP

The best way to determine the max size, I think, is to compare it to the rest of the user information on a post. In my opinion, a persons avatar shouldn't be much wider than their join date. Avatar sizes of 80x80 are slightly wider than this information. I can understand why people don't want them too big, as nobody wants a big avatar taking up too much room on a forum post.

The only thing that should be kept in mind is that if the avatar dimensions are increased then the max file size will need to be too. It won't be much good having all that extra room only too find out you've broken the file size limit.

Edit - I'd settle for 75x75

Dec 08, 13 at 11:13am
Chris

I can't really decide if I prefer bigger avatars tbh. I don't mind 70x70 but I'm not a fan of anything bigger. Seems I'm alone on that thought though.

Dec 08, 13 at 1:01am
Dilute

Yeah, 75x75 seems nifty. 85x85 looks too much imo, but 75x75 seems suitable.

Dec 06, 13 at 3:37am
Jeremy

I'm a fan of 85x85, to be honest. 75x75 works, but it's still slightly restrictive. Better than 65x65 though, and I'd take what I can get.

Dec 05, 13 at 10:14pm
Fluidity

Yes please. 75x75 max though.

Dec 05, 13 at 10:08pm
Remedy

Going to bump this up since there's been a few minor changes recently through neoseeker. Would definitely be an additional Christmas gift to the Neoseeker members if the dimensions would be increased even to 75x75 (although I'm in favor of 85x85).

Feb 05, 13 at 11:41pm
Avalith

I'd be in favor of an increase to 75x75. Anything bigger just looks a bit tacky to me.

Feb 05, 13 at 8:17pm
Monterey Jack

quote Yick
I've seen this request a million times before. I feel like there's some kind of legacy issue that is making this really difficult to implement.
lol yeah Neoseekers hate change.

gotta agree with Jeremy. I find 65x65 way too restrictive. my current avatar, if you view it normally, is heaps pixellated - I had to shrink the original cropped image way the *bleep* down, use the blur and sharpen tool to clean it up and apply an overlay layer just to make it aesthetically presentable. I'm putting way more effort into a *bleep*ing avatar than necessary. the funny thing is, if you view it in this thread at 75x75, the only issue you could have it with is what you'd normally get by stretching a 65x65 image to 75x75 anyway haha. might seem like change for the sake of change, but I dunno, this thread is making me wish it was 75x75 or 80x80 instead of 65x65 and trying to get a decent not blurry avatar is more appealing.

Feb 02, 13 at 12:14am
Kokoro

quote Fusion
I feel that the best option would be one I saw earlier. Make the maximum resolution an OPTION for users and allow them to choose it.

For instance, I quite like 85x85. Not all users would like that.

And to make things even better, if a user has an avatar that's 65x65 but my maximum setting is 65x65, their image will NOT be scaled up. Sure, it may look small in comparison to some other avatars, but that'd be an issue now with people having 40x40 avatars. So yeah. Just make it an option, allow user to choose a maximum, and don't automatically scale up. Scaling down is a lot easier than scaling up in terms of preserving image quality. That way, everyone's happy, right?

Yeah, this thread already has that option, so why not just implement that for the whole site?

Feb 01, 13 at 9:43pm
Lorx

quote Fusion
Well yeah, but seeing as this thread is scaling images up and everyone is like EW THEY LOOK SO HORRIBLE, felt that had to be stated.

EDIT: In fact, I even acknowledged they already work that way in the next sentence. xD

The upscaling is something nobody wants in the final version, it is only here to show what different sizes could look like in practical use.