Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Corsair AF and SP Series Fan Review » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Aug 08, 12 at 5:04pmleochan

When Corsair set out to design the Airflow and Static Pressure lineup of cooling fans, they wanted to take case cooling to the next level. We test different editions of the 120mm and 140mm entries to see how much air they move, and what impact they have on system temperatures during operation.

Corsair AF and SP Series Fan Review

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Aug 10, 12 at 10:28am
Randome

I have 3 of the SP120 quiet edition. They all come with little diodes (or whatever those things are) that can be placed between the 3-pin on the fan and the 3-pin plug you're connecting it to. That little thing will slow them down, but I don't know by how much. I'm sure all versions of their fans come with those.

I haven't actually been able to turn them on yet. I'm still waiting for a fan controller and I don't want to use them before I get a controller. I'm going to keep 2 of my case fans with blue LEDs.

The difference between the fan blades is that the large number of small blades will move air faster, but that can't create all that much pressure. The bigger blades will create better pressure, but they'd have to spin a lot faster to move the same amount of air.

They have been tested by the experts at Corsair and by multiple people who've bought both types.

The SP fans are for radiators only. AF fans are for everything else. Somehow you shouldn't even use an AF fan as a radiator pull fan. I don't know how that is, but it has been tested.

I'm pretty sure that the only reason they didn't give those fans 4 pins is to make people buy more fan controllers. Extremely few people would ever buy one if these fans had 4 pins.

quote harbin91
How loud roughly, is 24dB and 31 dB? What are they equivalent to? I can hear the fans in my current PC (not too loud), but if I have sound coming out of my TV, then I cannot notice any noise from them.
My previous CPU cooler DBX-B is rated to be at 20 dB and it was as loud as a microwave oven. I mean like pretty loud.

dB is not what humans define as loudness.

Aug 09, 12 at 11:24pm
harbin

TBH I do really hope Corsair does a PWM version of both. If they did, then I'd probably have the fans set out, unless I saw something better elsewhere. If they did PWM fans, then I might even be tempted to get a fan controller fitted.

How loud roughly, is 24dB and 31 dB? What are they equivalent to? I can hear the fans in my current PC (not too loud), but if I have sound coming out of my TV, then I cannot notice any noise from them.

In the case of mine though (I plan on modding the case at some point) but at the moment, I have a Bitfenix Shinobi. Two fans are front of drive cages, with the bottom having two HDDs in front... so static pressure should be place on them, along with two static pressure fans on the heatsink (an NH-D12). The bottom fan and the rear exhaust fan (which has a heatsink placed just behind) should be pure CFM then, because air is currently being pushed towards it? Even then, how does that work with the case vents (those honeycomb meshing things that cover part of the hole, or with dust covers), would that restrict airflow enough to require SP fans instead of CFM fans? Might just be being pedantic about the whole thing.

Aug 09, 12 at 7:32pm
deeplove

Oh hell. So a fan controller is needed basically. Is that how some people have those Corsair water coolers with if they have these fans connected?

Aug 09, 12 at 6:51pm
hiigaran

without PWM or a fan controller, theres no way you are going to control it. BIOS and software settings will affect how the PWM works. wikipedia has a decent explanation on how PWM really works.

Aug 09, 12 at 6:42pm
deeplove

Question. How important is PWM if I were to get a pair of these? i know that they're not PWM fans but connecting them to the mobo and controlling them through bios, would it be a bad thing? i guess what would suck is that I would just have to go through the bios often just to adjust the speeds on them. which of course would be the inconvenient thing to do.

Aug 09, 12 at 6:06pm
Cryonicstate

hiigaran you are correct in that statement, every article I have read has stated the same thing, but then again we are not talking about lifting anything the fans are mounted to the case so we are talking about moving air. But yes if it was not attached and you cranked the rpm up with the fan laying on its back then yes we would have liftoff. lol "Maybe when I have some free time I can test that theory out"
You can read Corsair's blog regarding both the AF & SP series of fans,

Corsair Air Series Fans http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/introducing-corsair-air-series-fans[/link]
Air Series Fan Terminology and Testing http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/corsair-air-series-fan-terminology-and-testing[/link]

Aug 09, 12 at 5:17pm
deeplove

I'd like to read on that also. That completely changes the way I will look at fans especially when buying one.

Aug 09, 12 at 4:54pm
hiigaran

quote Cryonicstate
quote hiigaran
one thing ive never had a definite answer on...those fan blade thicknesses. you have the thinner ones with more blades, then the thicker ones with fewer blades. whats the performance difference? its always been something thats confused me with things like the shape of propellers on planes and ships, with them being so different.
Thin blades with a high pitch, angle or rake as some call it are designed to push more air, the fans with the wider blades and low pitch produce a higher static pressure. You can use a fan that has a low SP rating on a radiator with a low fpi count, but the more fpi you have the higher the SP rating you need to push the air through the radiator.
strange...every formula ive read would imply the opposite with thickness. as a blade gets thicker, it should produce more lift, given that every other factor remains the same, because theres more surface area for air to be deflected from.

you got some stuff i can read up on? now im really curious!

Aug 09, 12 at 4:22pm
Cryonicstate

quote harbin91
quote Cryonicstate
quote harbin91
On case fans, no PWM for me would be fine since I like my case fans to run maxed out all the time. Lack of PWM would kill it somewhat for me using it on the CPU.

Which is better for case cooling though? Static pressure or high airflow? Expensive for fans (or atleast seems expensive) but somewhat worth it. Would've been tempted to grab some Spectre Pros to match my case, but these are quite tempting aswell.

Hope they do a PWM version though for my CPU cooling. Assuming ofcourse that they'll fit in my cooler.
You would want to use the high flow, but first look at where you intend to place the fan. Will it be pushing air through a hard drive cage then you would want to use the static pressure fan.
So basically, static if there is an obstruction such as drive cages, but CFM if there isn't such as exhaust fans?
Yes sir!

Aug 09, 12 at 4:21pm
Cryonicstate

quote hiigaran
one thing ive never had a definite answer on...those fan blade thicknesses. you have the thinner ones with more blades, then the thicker ones with fewer blades. whats the performance difference? its always been something thats confused me with things like the shape of propellers on planes and ships, with them being so different.
Thin blades with a high pitch, angle or rake as some call it are designed to push more air, the fans with the wider blades and low pitch produce a higher static pressure. You can use a fan that has a low SP rating on a radiator with a low fpi count, but the more fpi you have the higher the SP rating you need to push the air through the radiator.