Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Books & Literature » The Night Circus (Erin Morgenstern) » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Welcome to the Books & Literature forum! Have a seat, stay a while.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

May 15, 13 at 11:03pm
Celes Leonhart

Stumbled back into this recently after forgetting I owned it digitally. It makes me want to drop everything in my life and become an author.

Aug 13, 12 at 5:15pm
Celes Leonhart

A few chapters on I'm hooked on this. As was the synopsis I was reeled in by the charming prose immediately, but the chapter formatting and wonderful visuals & characters have me desperate to keep reading. Going to keep moving forward before I solidify opinions but I'd be hurt to have slept on this.

Aug 01, 12 at 8:19am
Celes Leonhart

Even the synopsis is incredibly well-written to the point I was Kindling it by the end of the first paragraph.

Do you mention Prestige in terms of theme or is there another relation?

Love's generally what tickles me (re: gay) so hopefully it's not too much on the backburner enough for me to enjoy this. Quick Google search and beside the inevitable mentions of Potter and Twilight, Neil Gaiman's name popped up so that's the deal in the bag for me.

Golden Miru warrior is my single source for literary recommendation.

It is a phantasmagorical fairy tale of magic and romanc
pardon

Jul 29, 12 at 3:30pm
Golden Miru warrior

Genres: Magic, Romance, Young Adult

quote goodreads
The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

My latest venture into the bestseller list actually turned out slightly better than recent averages. The Prestige has long been one of my favorites and I'll always be drawn to magic because it can work so well on the page.

These chapters are peculiarly short, each set in a single scene during a specific interval of time. The romance is a little spare some of its other ilk - that was not a problem for me because it left room for the other elements of the story. An avatar type battle in the carnival isn't anything new, but with this relatively sleek prose there were plenty of enchanting moments. The two puppetmaster type adversaries had the most going for them as characters, save for one boy whose unclear path kept a pretty steady mystery. I wanted more at the end but that was totally the point.