Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » New Super Mario Bros. 2 » New Super Mario Bros. 2 ‘Isn’t The Usual Super Mario’ » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

Count Bleck Mario Toad Baby Luigi Baby Mario Boo Ludwig Luigi Mario MK8 Goomba Piranha Plant Fire Mario Luigi small mario Star Fire Flower Peach Toad Coin Block Cheep Cheep Donkey Kong Yoshi Spiny Blooper Buzzy Beetle Bullet Bill Fawful Lakitu Paratroopa Classic Mushroom Poison Mushroom Daisy Poison Mushroom 2 Mushroom 1-Up Boo King Boo Luma Bowser Rosalina Paper Luigi Yoshi

hideOriginal Post

Jul 24, 12 at 4:27pmGotenks

Satoru Iwata supposes that, after taking a quick glance at it, people will think New Super Mario Bros. 2 is “the usual Super Mario.” But according to the game’s art designer Masaaki Ishikawa, Nintendo added new features to Mario’s upcoming Nintendo 3DS title to make a fresh impression.

For example, special stages called Dash Mario are included, in which Mario gets blasted out of a cannon and can’t stop running forward until the end of the level. And, in all Dash Mario stages, players need to time Mario’s jumps to make sure he reaches the flagpole.
Source

Glad this game isn't gonna be like the usual Super Mario games. It needs to stand out by itself to make itself its own great game. The Dash Mario stages sound pretty awesome. I've always kind of liked the idea of having a stage where you had to run all the way to the end while avoiding obstacles. It was fun in DKC3.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jul 26, 12 at 11:37pm
John234MKWii

All the Super Mario and New Super Mario games were all good, different and interesting in their own way. But they all had the same story. I would keep the storyline if I were you. That's what we like about Mario games. I know it's getting boring that Peach gets kidnapped, and go on a quest to save Peach. It's a lot better playing Mario games with though. They all had their positives and negatives, but in a way they are all the same. The storyline started off like that and it's still like that.

Jul 26, 12 at 11:35pm
Kokoro

quote Sigma
quote FoneBoneFan15
This game is very difficult to get a Game Over, because of too many coins, and after losing five lives in a row, the Invincibility Leaf which decreases the chance of rage quitting at this game.
    Yeah, they're literally making it almost impossible to get a game over. Maybe they're trying to appeal more to younger audiences? That is usually Nintendo's target these days.

Getting game overs are pretty much obsolete in video games these days anyway, thanks to save features and stuff, which is a good thing.

Jul 26, 12 at 8:01pm
Virtue

quote Sigma
    Virtue I know what you mean, you're talking about the main series, right? Because THOSE games are all the same, except NSMB2. SMB, SMB2, SMB3, NSMB, and NSMBW are all basically the exact same story over and over again.

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. The spin offs are the ones I'm calling the most attention to. Maybe I'm just not a fan of Mario in competitive sports, but new powers ups doesn't create a new experience for me. It's essentially the same game. The entire NSMB games were getting awfully close until they announced all of these new features. These aren't gimmicks, but significant upgrades to a game series that desperately needed it.

And Gotenks, no amount of logic can ever strike their brain. I would call myself a Nintendo fanboy at times, but I also know when a game needs improvement. Putting a gun and camo gear doesn't automatically qualify it for iconic status.

Jul 26, 12 at 7:06pm
Sigma

quote FoneBoneFan15
This game is very difficult to get a Game Over, because of too many coins, and after losing five lives in a row, the Invincibility Leaf which decreases the chance of rage quitting at this game.
    Yeah, they're literally making it almost impossible to get a game over. Maybe they're trying to appeal more to younger audiences? That is usually Nintendo's target these days.

Jul 26, 12 at 6:59pm
FoneBoneFan15

Jul 26, 12 at 4:37pm
Sigma

quote Gotenks
And some of these people I've argued with are CoD fanboys...
    THESE ARE THE MOST ANNOYING PEOPLE ON THE PLANET. "LOL You still like Pokémon? That's such a kid's game!"

ANYWAYS, no, they aren't the same game. Not even distantly close to each other.

Jul 26, 12 at 4:35pm
Gotenks

Trust me Virtue, some of them do try and say they are the same games. And some of these people I've argued with are CoD fanboys...

Jul 26, 12 at 2:35pm
Sigma

Virtue I know what you mean, you're talking about the main series, right? Because THOSE games are all the same, except NSMB2. SMB, SMB2, SMB3, NSMB, and NSMBW are all basically the exact same story over and over again.

Jul 26, 12 at 12:46pm
Virtue

I think I generalized a bit too much on that last statement. I was refferring to other aspects of the Mario series, such as the sports games and what would have been NSMB.2 if these new features were not added. Obviously, the platformers have been totally unique in their own respect. I don't even think the harshest of critics could make Mario Sunshine, Galaxy, and Galaxy 2 similar even if they tried.

Jul 26, 12 at 3:55am
John234MKWii

The New Super Mario games are both good in their own way but NSMBW because the early levels of NSMB were too easy and by playing World 1-1 on NSMBW, you'd be addicted to it.