Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » Halo 4 » Forward Unto Dawn Official Trailer » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Please read over the forum rules before posting!
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jul 12, 12 at 8:07pmFury

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Sep 14, 12 at 9:50pm
Samson

The Master Chief in FUD is around 15-16 years old and so naturally, he won't have the same deep voice we all know. I read somewhere that they ended up giving the voice role to the actor of Master Chief in the end. It syill sounds good to me.

Jul 19, 12 at 1:36am
Animatrix

It does look interesting.
xD opps.

Jul 19, 12 at 1:02am
Fury

Here's more about the voice from this week's bulletin:

What happened to Chief’s voice? That’s not the Steve Downes I was looking (listening) for!

Quite correct, that’s not the heroic growl you’re used to hearing coming out of that helmet, but just like the armor that is the result of some very specific (and challenging) decisions about how to best integrate Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn into the existing fiction. Light spoiler incoming, but we’ve already announced that the series takes place right around the beginning of the Human-Covenant war, which in our universe means we’re somewhere in the neighborhood of the year 2526. Since most of the time we’ve spent with the Master Chief in the games so far takes place right around the end of that war, which means we’re used to hearing Chief’s voice around the year 2552. Applying a bit of maths, the Master Chief you see and hear in the trailer is around 26 years younger than what you’re used to. I don’t know about you, but I didn’t sound the same 26 years ago, and while we love Steve Downes’ voice it wouldn’t make sense for Chief to have had the same exact voice across three decades of war. Because we wanted to maximize consistency, we first tried to “de-age” Steve Downes’ voice, but all efforts there ended up with something that sounded like an awesome reject from Alvin and the Chipmunks. With that option off the table, we turned to the great casting team we used for the rest of the actors in the show to find us a younger sound-alike voice actor to provide younger Chief’s voice, with the aim being that if you close your eyes and squint your ears just a bit, the voice you hear from Chief makes you think “yeah, put that voice through 26 years of hell and battle and he’ll end up sounding like the Chief I know.” This is a really sensitive subject for a lot of people because voices are so important in connecting to a character, but I think we have a solution that works for both character and consistency… give young Chief a shot, and I hope you’ll agree.
Sounds like Downes was originally the voice of MC then, which would explain why the director was claiming he was the voice in that interview.

Jul 13, 12 at 7:48pm
Fury

That settles it then. My gut feeling when I first heard it was that was no way it was him, but I was taken back by that quote from the director. There may have been a change of plans or something, or simply a misquote.

Jul 13, 12 at 7:29pm
LOD-squa

That explains it. I can't believe I didn't see that video before. Excuse my stupidity. It sounds like him but I just saw this from his facebook page:

Steve Downes ‎Owen O'Reilly: No. I am not the voice of Master Chief in the Foward unto Dawn series.

Jul 13, 12 at 1:02pm
Fury

This article says Steve Downes is voicing, and they quoted the series director for that info. It definitely doesn't sound like the typical Chief voice to me though. Also, I haven't seen any mention of Steve Downes by 343. Not sure what to think.

quote LOD-squa
Fury - It does sound similar to the voice used within the games, thats what I was asking. I don't know why they would make him sound younger though since the game takes place not too long before the events in Halo 4.
Actually the story is supposed to tell the origin of the Master Chief as well as the origin of the Human-Covenant war. They talk about it in this video. So it would make sense for him to sound younger.

Jul 13, 12 at 12:47pm
DannyB01

The voice of the MC will be the voice of the actor playing him. Can't remember who it is, but from the article somewhere in this forum it said he played Colossus in a couple of X-Men films.

The trailer looks decent, I'm just a bit worried that as it's being done as a series of 15 minute short films it won't spend enough time on build-up and backstory at the start. I'm also not all that keen on it only following around young people, but that's just personal preference I'm sure.

Jul 13, 12 at 6:42am
Roy

Maybe to make us not sound like he is an old coot. I could understand that, but you would think with each Halo game his voice would get older.

Jul 12, 12 at 10:26pm
LOD-squa

Fury - It does sound similar to the voice used within the games, thats what I was asking. I don't know why they would make him sound younger though since the game takes place not too long before the events in Halo 4.

Jul 12, 12 at 10:22pm
Roy

I will be following this. I don't know why it kind of reminds me of the action in NCIS, or any other crime show, maybe it's because of plot or layout of each scene.