Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » ReQuests, Feedback and Suggestions » [Feedback] Intrusive Advertising in Neo Mobile Mode » Post Reply

Note to Guests: This forum is only for issues related to neoseeker.com. Please, do not post questions related to games. RFS is for site related discussion. If you require gaming help, check the forum directory here and search for the correct forum.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jul 06, 12 at 2:48pmlovelyfisher

What the heck is with the ads while using the mobile version of neo? This sucks! They're terribly annoying, they come up like every page for me.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jul 09, 12 at 1:22am
Emberguard

quote Redemption
Emberguard - are you saying that clicking the X doesn't close the ad? I'm using an HTC phone and it closes it fine. Probably what you are wondering is why the ad comes back on next page reload. If anyone clicking the X cannot close the ad, please give me more details about your phone and I'll report it to the advertiser.
As of right now at this moment the ad isn't popping up on my ipod touch gen 4 at all (probably due to the it only appearing once a day now, I'll have to see tomorrow if it re-appears)

When I originally notified you, what was happening was that it closed the ad when the x was pressed, but as soon as I scrolled the screen even a tiny bit it came back onto the screen

Edit: it worked fine today. Closed the ad without a problem

Jul 08, 12 at 6:15pm
ctrl

Yeah I don't use chrome, I just use the default browser. My Internet is on the fritz at my house so I skimmed the thread.

Jul 08, 12 at 6:10pm
Nagare

ctrl I had no problem closing the ads with the X on my Nexus using the Chrome browser.

Also, he said just once per day they would show up so it isn't disabled, you've just seen your one already.

Jul 08, 12 at 4:47pm
ctrl

quote Redemption
Hi everyone,

The world of mobile advertising is moving towards these more modern methods, so inevitably I see a certain % of mobile revenues going in this way on many sites. Actually if you think about it from the perspective of an iPhone App, it's no different than having a dedicated "ad frame" that most free apps have, except its less elegant since it sometimes hops around (although its also more convenient because it is invisible as you scroll, while a dedicated ad frame is always there).

However, I think there's some things that could be improved, and I used some of the feedback here to make some tweaks. I changed it so that this type of ad should only appear once a day for logged in users, and I'm talking to the advertiser about things like how it affects useability when the keyboard comes up (it pops up above the keyboard, obstructing the text fields).

We'll keep an eye on this and see about continuing to balance between the need to service advertisers with the needs of users.

Emberguard - are you saying that clicking the X doesn't close the ad? I'm using an HTC phone and it closes it fine. Probably what you are wondering is why the ad comes back on next page reload. If anyone clicking the X cannot close the ad, please give me more details about your phone and I'll report it to the advertiser.
My only complaint about it all is that the cdc ad doesn't actually close when hitting the "x". Did you disable the ads for the time-being?

[edit] - My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Nexus with Android version 4.0.4 and Browser version 4.0.4-336647.

Jul 08, 12 at 3:11pm
Smell The Chiken

All I can say is thank you Redemption for making the ads less intrusive.

Jul 08, 12 at 2:37pm
Celes Leonhart

Yep sorry completely forgot that bit. HTC Incredible S, Android, using Dolphin HD.

Jul 08, 12 at 2:25pm
Dynamite

Hey Celes Leonhart.

If you're having issues closing it, please provide details of your phone type and the browser you're using, if applicable, so it can be tested and specific details can be passed on to the advertising company if necessary.

Jul 08, 12 at 2:16pm
Celes Leonhart

Redemption most attempts to close the advertisement result in it loading some sort of video (which I've never sat and watched, instant back-track) for me.

Jul 08, 12 at 1:10pm
Redemption

Hi everyone,

The world of mobile advertising is moving towards these more modern methods, so inevitably I see a certain % of mobile revenues going in this way on many sites. Actually if you think about it from the perspective of an iPhone App, it's no different than having a dedicated "ad frame" that most free apps have, except its less elegant since it sometimes hops around (although its also more convenient because it is invisible as you scroll, while a dedicated ad frame is always there).

However, I think there's some things that could be improved, and I used some of the feedback here to make some tweaks. I changed it so that this type of ad should only appear once a day for logged in users, and I'm talking to the advertiser about things like how it affects useability when the keyboard comes up (it pops up above the keyboard, obstructing the text fields).

We'll keep an eye on this and see about continuing to balance between the need to service advertisers with the needs of users.

Jul 07, 12 at 9:59pm
Gotenks

I've been personally avoiding going on mobile mode now since this started happening. It's very annoying to have that ad just follow you wherever you go and accidentally click it when it decides to get in the way. It needs to go back to the top of the page.