Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Anime » Sword Art Online » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Jul 3, 12 at 8:35pmEternal

The story follows Kirito and Asuna, who are trapped in the virtual reality game Sword Art Online along with 10,000 other people. Death in the game meant death in real life, and the only way to get out is by completing the game by clearing all 100 floors of the world they are in.
Episodes : 26 (?)
Studio : A1-Pictures
Genre : Action, Fantasy, Adventure
PV

So this is basically the only thing new that interests me this season. My friend said the novel was decent, so I have semi high hopes for it. I really love the MMO setting after Hunter x Hunter's Greed Island arc, and hope that this goes well.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jul 20, 16 at 4:14am
carous Elambra

Decided to give Sword Art Online another try. It's held up, it's addictive watching the level grinding and there's a real air of mystery. Might watch some more.

Jun 8, 16 at 4:37am
Dilute

Sword Art Online was mediocre, they decided to focus on romance and fanservice way too much.

May 30, 16 at 11:50am
carous Elambra

I watched some of it, it was quite good in the sense of dungeon grinding and elimination. I like how they have to earn certain items and you see clear progression. It's a little bit like the matrix. I watched it along with a few other lesser known titles, but decided to focus on the bigger shows.

Apr 21, 16 at 6:12pm
Maximus 3

The biggest issue with the market, or at least the over saturation of Light Novel Adaptations, is that most of them get produced by a couple of very specific studios who pick up COUNTLESS licenses for things they know are going to sell to pre/only just teens.

A1 pictures is especially guilty of this. (SAO 1 and 2, Asterisks War 1 AND 2, Several Deadly Sins, Saekano, Magic Kaito, Vivid Butts Operation etc etc)

Apr 18, 16 at 12:59pm
SpartanNinja

I'd agree except they arent innovating. Even the good anime more of the same it just had coherent characters and story. Whats the difference between Gundam now and Gundam in the 80s? Whats the differwnce between harem anime in the 90s versus this current 2016 season? It sure as hell isnt the exact same carbon copy everyman short dark haired overly polite Japanese MC?

Ehh... cartoons at least are limited. There are only so many. But Anime puts out 200+ new anime a year and we can get only 1-4 actual good ones? Ebb and flow. Let me know when it flows lol.

Apr 18, 16 at 12:46pm
bbb7002004

These kind of things ebb and flow, like any other entertainment genre. Western animation went through a long drought of really, really terrible stuff after the awesomeness that was the '90s, for example, and is finally starting to recover over these past couple of years, super hero movies were bad, then good, then bad, now good headed for bad again, etc. Anime will have times of drought, then suddenly a ton of new, creative shows come in and revitalize everyone.

Apr 18, 16 at 8:02am
SpartanNinja

quote Mastix
But Japan has notoriously shit taste, and the Western audiences those serious shows are popular with don't influence the market that much. Feel my pain.
This sums it up. The same is happening with videogames. Almost every company is going mobile only.

They are terrible businessmen if they dont tap a wider audience. Nintendo does well because the world loves them not just Japan. The potential Japanese market is miniscule compared to the NA or European or even other Asian markets. Its sad more than anything. The anime market in the west is the highest its EVER been! And yet aside from show like Space Dandy which were designed primarily for and financed by western interests we languish and are forced to wade into the LN adaptations and pick out the few good ones in the sea of Japanese anime and their tropes...

Pardon my rant. Less and less anime are watchable to me and it isnt my tastes that have changed, Anime has changed and not for the better. The anime (and music) market in Japan is based primarily on toxic fanboyism and selling merchandise rather than making something good. You can have anime tropes and STILL be good. Compare Log Horizon to SAO. One is well written and the other is not. The anime tropes both exist but LH is better, though im sure it has it dissenters. SAO read like a fanfiction. Log Horizon read like a normal novel.

Sigh

Apr 18, 16 at 7:32am
Mastix

quote SpartanNinja
So SAO leaves and so went the young boys and casuals, and the critics with them. Meanwhile other good shows that dont appeal to children get a fraction of the discussion and terrible shows like Asterix War get good reviews on other sites. Oh my.
Well, the loss of activity in anime is gonna be linked to a lot of things. There are SAO equivalents today as there were then. Anime was popular then because I was pouring all of my spare time into generating activity and discussion, and I think I managed to catch a wave of interest in the anime community here on Neo, which we rode out. The enthusiasm of many of those members has since faded (that's natural and I don't blame them), and new blood didn't step in.

But hey, some really great shows were discussed back then too. We had several threads for Madoka Magicka. Penguindrum had 11 pages of discussion. Psycho-Pass was also pretty popular even when season 2 ruined all its good press. Reality is though, mainstream easy-watching action shows, and ecchi comedies tend to hit the biggest audiences. It's a reality I wish were different. I wish we had more Paranoia Agents or Ghost in the Shells every year, and that more people got into them so that anime studios would make more efforts to produce them. But Japan has notoriously shit taste, and the Western audiences those serious shows are popular with don't influence the market that much. Feel my pain.

Apr 18, 16 at 7:04am
SpartanNinja

So SAO leaves and so went the young boys and casuals, and the critics with them. Meanwhile other good shows that dont appeal to children get a fraction of the discussion and terrible shows like Asterix War get good reviews on other sites. Oh my.

Apr 18, 16 at 6:52am
Mastix

quote SpartanNinja
quote bbb7002004
quote SpartanNinja
24 pages of responses but I don't understand why. This is not that great of a show...
I think the forum was a lot more active back around 2012 when this started, so there was more discussion to be had in general.
2015 too, either way its disconcertijg
Fan or critic, it was one of the most popular shows of 2012. The audience is a bunch of young male gamers and casual anime watchers. Combine that with 2012 being the most active year I've known in this neck of neo (600 posts per day regularly, with days we were second only to Loungin'), and you get a long thread. In fact I think *because* this show was so controversial it got more discussion. Some loved it, others deeply hate it.