Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D » Featured Enemy – Stalchild! » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.Check out the Featured Character Discussion Index and Suggestions and join in the fun!
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

Wooden Shield Beedle Boomerang Bow and Arrow Cucco Cat Clawshot Dark Triforce Deku Shield Power Din Ezlo Courage Farore Forest Minish Defeated Link Hero Bow Hookshot Blue Rupee Link Link Master Sword Minish Link Navi Wisdom Nayru Pendant of Courage Pendant of Power Pendant of Wisdom Zelda Scattershot Spinner Slingshot Triforce Triforce Link Vaati Windwaker Master Sword Zelda Zill

hideOriginal Post

Jul 02, 12 at 1:11pmMarioJr64

Featured Enemy!
Stalchild

The Stalchild take the form of small skeletons who haunt the grounds of Hyrule Field at night. They are particularly weak, only able to withstand 1 blow from the Kokiri Sword. Another hit will crumble them into a pile of... bones. Despite this, Link's first encounter with these enemies could be a very frightening experience for the poor 'lil guy.

The green-clad hero would be strolling through the fields of Hyrule as the light from the orange sun dims to a slumber. Unknowing of what lurks underneath the ground he is standing on, Link may stray off the path during this time to find these foul beasts suddenly emerging from the ground and headed straight for him. Despite his state of shock, Navi quickly calms Link down, and he manages to take to battle.

A large majority of these boney critters are approximately the same height as child Link, making for an easy fight. However, the more he kills, the larger they emerge. The largest possible is nearly the size of Captain Keeta from MM! Link is not to be intimidated, though, as even the largest of the large still only take 2 hits to dispatch.

If Link is feeling mischevious, he can deploy 1 horizontal slash. This will knock a Stalchild's head off, rendering it blind. Link can then laugh heedlessly at the Stalchild as it proceeds to find its way around, repeatedly walking around in circles, unable to make any progress at all.

So what do you think about the Stalchild? Do you think the idea of them growing in size could have made for an interesting mini-game? Did you have fun messing with them? Did you pull off headless Stalchild prank and had a laugh? Do you think they grew into Stalfos? Why do you think they are absent in the future?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jul 25, 12 at 3:45am
Dark Arcanine

That's a good point about them being social and having some sense of an average human life; they do show signs in MM, like the being at the table or the swinging on the tree. In MM we see that they follow orders, so the same could be said for in OoT. The coming out at night and attacking Link could simply be a territorial thing as a form of protection. After all, you don't see people around at night, so anything that is around probably isn't friendly. Link probably comes off as a danger, so they attack.

Jul 24, 12 at 9:03am
MarioJr64

Um... This wasn't very successful. Come on now, MarioJr64, get it going again.

Good idea with them catching Link. They could have grabbed him and chomped on his leg to deal damage.

We know MM is a parallel world to OoT, and the Stalchild race are run by Captain Keeta, so an underground organisation could be possible in OoT. They also seem very social too, proven in MM, when at one point you see them sitting at a table chatting and laughing together. Some are even sitting on top of library shelves.

There is also the part where they are sitting around a campfire in the graveyard. All this suggests that they are more than capable of living a normal life after death (if they ever lived in the first place). One is even swinging on a tree, which may also suggest that they are actually fun creatures.

If MM is really parallel to OoT, then personallities would have to be the same as well, proofing that there could easily be an organisation going on.

Jul 04, 12 at 5:41pm
Dark Arcanine

I think I've heard about the Leever before, but I don't think I knew about the Guay. I'll have to try those out now when I do the challenge for this week. ^^

An underground civilisation is interesting, with tunnels spanning the underneath of Hyrule. Like what the Mogma have in SS. Having enemies dig out of the ground is pretty cool. Shame there wasn't a bit of extra thought put into it though, like if they come up close by and you don't move they could catch Link like Dead Hand or a ReDead for example.

Jul 04, 12 at 4:24am
MarioJr64

It's always daytime if I'm headed to somewhere other than the Market. Whenever I try to go there, the bridge is certain to shut on me seconds before I reach it.

Secrets like that were what made Zelda OoT known as one of the greatest games of all time. Not only the larger Stalchild, but the larger Guay also existed; and so did the Purple Leeva.

The mini-game idea sounds cool. Imagine a larger Like Like, or Iron Knuckle. The Like Like could suck you up from a further distance, and the Iron Knuckle's axe would reach you from afar, making the battle fairly difficult.

I think that the Stalchildren did grow into Stalfos by natural means. Most monsters of the dead have some magic about them, but the Stalfos seem to rely on raw damage in battle. They prove worthy opponents, something that could only be achieved through experience and practise. The Stalchildren learn to fight at an early age, and although they're not very good at first, they have plenty of time in 7 years to get to the rank of the Stalfos.

This also explains why there were lots of Stalchildren, but a limited number of Stalfos. Some Stalchildren may not have had the skill to become a warrior.

I have a theory, that underneath the field, there is a whole new land, where the Stalpeople live. They seem to be able to dig up to the surface anywhere they want, so it would make sense.

Their land could also include the grottos, and the place where the ReDeads are underneath Kakariko Village.

Jul 03, 12 at 7:29pm
Dark Arcanine

Except a thing or two, like getting rid of Ganondorf forever.

As for the point about making it into a mini-game, I think something in rounds kind of like the Boss Gauntlet could've been cool. Having to battle different enemies in various arenas and having to reach and defeat the large version before the time runs out. I think I prefer my previous suggestion of a continuous hidden feature of future titles, but as a mini-game it would've been interesting, too. ^^

Jul 03, 12 at 3:22am
Couttsy

well anything's possible, in Zelda at least anyway

Jul 03, 12 at 1:26am
Dark Arcanine

Just tends to always be daytime when I'm in Hyrule Field, haha.

As for the Stalchild into Stalfos theory, I've said it around here before that I think it's probable. There's magic involved so that gives way to the potential of just about anything. ^^

Jul 03, 12 at 1:03am
Couttsy

these guys are pretty cool, although i have never fought the big one if i remember correctly, i just never stuck around long enough

Jul 02, 12 at 4:39pm
Dark Arcanine

Hooray, a new featured enemy thread. ^^

The giant Stalchild in Hyrule Field is the first thing I think of whenever their name is mentioned. I think it's a really cool concept and something that should've become a hidden secret throughout all future titles. It makes sense that enemies will be varied, and I think this limited offering captures that nicely and adds a little more interest to the game - as well as giving a reason to spend your evening running around a field defeating animated skeletons left, right, and centre.

Jul 02, 12 at 1:11pm
MarioJr64

Featured Enemy!
Stalchild

The Stalchild take the form of small skeletons who haunt the grounds of Hyrule Field at night. They are particularly weak, only able to withstand 1 blow from the Kokiri Sword. Another hit will crumble them into a pile of... bones. Despite this, Link's first encounter with these enemies could be a very frightening experience for the poor 'lil guy.

The green-clad hero would be strolling through the fields of Hyrule as the light from the orange sun dims to a slumber. Unknowing of what lurks underneath the ground he is standing on, Link may stray off the path during this time to find these foul beasts suddenly emerging from the ground and headed straight for him. Despite his state of shock, Navi quickly calms Link down, and he manages to take to battle.

A large majority of these boney critters are approximately the same height as child Link, making for an easy fight. However, the more he kills, the larger they emerge. The largest possible is nearly the size of Captain Keeta from MM! Link is not to be intimidated, though, as even the largest of the large still only take 2 hits to dispatch.

If Link is feeling mischevious, he can deploy 1 horizontal slash. This will knock a Stalchild's head off, rendering it blind. Link can then laugh heedlessly at the Stalchild as it proceeds to find its way around, repeatedly walking around in circles, unable to make any progress at all.

So what do you think about the Stalchild? Do you think the idea of them growing in size could have made for an interesting mini-game? Did you have fun messing with them? Did you pull off headless Stalchild prank and had a laugh? Do you think they grew into Stalfos? Why do you think they are absent in the future?