Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » PC Games and Steam » Neoseeker review & analysis: TERA Online » Post Reply

REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Note to Guests: Neoseeker does not support warez of any kind. Any request for CD keys will be deleted or closed on sight, regardless of the situation. Thank you

hideOriginal Post

Jun 22, 12 at 4:50pmRabidChinaGirl

Our guy bluexy looks at TERA, from Bluehold Studio and En Masse. Not the worst MMO, but certainly not good either. Also, what's up with everyone's costumes?

Check it out, let us know what you think.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jun 24, 12 at 6:17am
Crafter

ShadowJ, You fit right in with those fatties!

I got an email last night regarding the Free Trial. Apparently they have an "instant demo" that doesn't even need installation as well as a 7 day trial.

quote TERA trial FAQ
The TERA Trial is good for 7 calendar days from the time you enter your trial code. You can level up to 8 characters to level 23 on one server during the trial. Once a character reaches level 23, its a great time to try different race or class!

You can convert your free trial to a paid subscription at the En Masse store and continue on with your characters. But if you have fear of commitment, we'll keep your characters waiting for you.
There are some restrictions but nothing terrible.

I also have a code for 25% off TERA, good until the 30th of June. If anyone could use it, feel free to PM me and it's yours.

Edit: LOL, I completely forgot about this video, showcasing all there is to TERA

Jun 23, 12 at 11:36pm
ShadowJ

Ok thanks for clearing things up VeGiTAX2 though from reading the review and picking up on the things I did, it felt like a solo play/Not enough time put into the game to give it a fair review. In other words I feel the review is a little on the harsh side.

I'm not a MMO player but I know the concepts, mindsets and basis of MMOs. My Tera experience has been with 3-5 friends, 2 I previously worked with, 1 I met online and his friend. Unfortunately the latter 2 haven't renewed their subscriptions but for a month we would spend 5-6 hours every night playing without fail. We never felt the "grinding" effects and pretty much just stayed in a party to ourselves...unless we play with 3-4 of us then we would actually grab a 4th or 5th person for dungeons/instances.

In the second month one friend became busy mainly because he is one of the EU community managers for Tera itself, so sadly he can't always get time to play the game he manages but when it is just myself and another friend, we do find friendly faces to jump into dungeons with.

As mentioned before and like Bluexy I do find the game more compelling when playing solo but then again rolling as a Warrior will get you more friendly people in a party since they are the main DPS class, same with Lancer except they are loved for being a tank, however playing solo as a Mystic has its consequences...you can't really damage enemies that well unless they are the normal enemies or creatures...party enemies or BAMs well you can forget solo'ing them like you would with a warrior

Over-sexualisation of characters is nothing new really, sometimes I do believe developers (especially of Korean and Japanese origin) do tend to compete in "who can show the most skin" contests but it's been done for many years and so it is just something in every day life...though I do tend to want to kick an Elin or Popori

Overall I would give Tera a 7 or 8, it has its flaws but I think it does well to draw attention from them with the more positives it has.

Edit: Just noticed the mentioning of a trial...I believe it is for 7 days and it does have certain restrictions, such as will be capped at level 15 etc. That's as much as I can remember at the moment.

Also a pic of my mystic meditating

Jun 23, 12 at 9:46pm
VeGiTAX2

quote ShadowJ
By the way please do not take this to heart, I'm just pointing out some things that someone who has actually put some time into TERA can point out
Just wanted to circle this out specifically, we put Rory on TERA at launch for the game, this wasn't just something we had him crank out over a weekend for the site. When we put down MMO reviews it's usually with at least 3-4 weeks of time invested into the game, as a result we make sure they cover the full experience of the actual retail game instead of running on impressions from the beta and so on.

The methodology allows us to provide fuller reviews based on the launch and patches following it before delivering a final blow that might be premature. I noticed you pointed out this

Furthermore, the "Battlegrounds" are on their way, so the review is premature.
Unfortunately we've been running that review since launch, calling the review premature is a bit of a stretch as it means we should hold off on all verdicts until the developer felt they finally nailed it after x amount of months / years after launch. Just like in SWTOR we did come back though for additional feature input when 1.2 hit and I don't think anyone would stonewall bluexy from pursuing a new piece after a future major update hits the game.

Clearing the air on this as I don't think it's fair to assume so much of a review without actually inquiring first with the author before that as the assumptions of strictly going at it alone were false. We're not all going to agree on games or ratings but it doesn't mean everyone jumps the gun out of the gate.

Added note: Most of our reviews also happen after the author has reached the level cap or has closed in near it and started exploring other avenues. We do play the games.

Jun 23, 12 at 1:05pm
Raijin1999

That's the thing. I'm more of a software guy and not hardware. Completely lost on pc building, aside from the very basics. Like... taking it apart and putting it back together - that I can do. Try to explain what does what and the thing just catches fire and somewhere an angel loses its wings for no raisin.

Stupid old vaio came with a 32mb GeForce 2. That old. Haven't had a good gaming pc in forever. Gonna bug yous guys when I get to building one.

Jun 23, 12 at 12:53pm
Danger

Cheers for the feedback Crafter, much appreciated and those screenshots make it look even more epic! Nice one.

I feel your pain Raijin1999, my last proper "gaming build" PC was around 2006 and I've only upgraded bits here and there over the years, it still handles recent games on medium-high (apart from the notorious system destroying games). My latest upgrade was the budget Radeon HD 6670, which has turned out to be an amazing bit of kit for the price. Currently putting away some cash for the future "beast" though.

Jun 23, 12 at 12:41pm
Raijin1999

God ******* **** it, I wish I could stop bleeding money and save for 'that PC gaming rig' i've been planning to get for the last decade.

Going to have to get serious about piecing one together. Thanks for the reviews! If it helps, i'm kicking myself for missing out.

Jun 23, 12 at 12:00pm
bluexy

Crafter Those are awesome screenshots man! PIRATE BARAKA IS THE BEST BARAKA.

Jun 23, 12 at 9:46am
Crafter

Danger, I'm pretty sure there's a free trial for TERA now but I'm not sure how long it goes for. The game doesn't really get started until just after 20 so you might have to reserve judgement a little bit.

The game really is quite sharp looking. There's so much detail in all the armour pieces and the world that I can't even look at WoW textures anymore. I play on highest detail @ 5760x1080 and it just looks amazing.

5760x1080 screenshot (shrinks too much to directly post)
5760x1080 screenshot (I walked across the world for this one, you'd better click it!

Armour detail on a Baraka:

Pics got a little grainy because I had to shrink them down from like 15MB but they still look pretty good :/

bluexy, Ahh, fond memories of Doorhammer... The PvP was so much fun (most of the time). It's a shame the game engine was pretty broken, making more precise PvP sketchy and PvE an exercise in frustration
IF I DON'T GUARD THE FLIGHTMASTER, WHO WILL?

Jun 23, 12 at 5:12am
techTHM

Nice review. Thanks for sharing.

Jun 23, 12 at 3:44am
Danger

Nice review and great to see some different opinions as this is a game I've recently been looking at it, I'm on a bit of a MMORPG craze atm and Tera has struck me as one I should definitely try. Definitely one of the sharpest looking MMOs in a while, just need to hope I find the gameplay as equally impressive.