Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » General Nintendo 3DS » Mario Tennis Open or Tales of The Abyss? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

hideOriginal Post

Jun 17, 12 at 3:55pmVonDoom

So my birthday is coming up, and im trying to decide which of these two to get. Mario tennis looks fun and It makes it even more attracting that it has online, and tales looks pretty cool too.

I do have some questions about tales though:
1) Can you equip different weapons and actually see the new weapon when fighting?
2) is there a lot of replay value/things to do once you've beaten the main story?

Thanks for any input!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jun 19, 12 at 4:24pm
bbb7002004

I liked Overclock a little more. I thought the story was more interesting and the characters were more fun.

Jun 19, 12 at 1:29pm
VonDoom

quote bbb7002004
quote VonDoom
Yeah been looking into that one too. Im mainly looking for a game that will leave me with lots to do even when I beat it, which the Devil Survivors look like they will be doing quite well. My question is, if I do in fact go with one of the Devil Survivors, would their be a benefit to playing overclocked before DS2? I have never played any SMT game, so I dont know if there is some kind of back ground I would want from overclocked, or if I should skip it and go straight to DS2. And are there any big differences between the two? Does one look better than the other, more endings, etc. Thanks for all your input guys, it really is helping
Their isn't really a connection between DS1 and DS2, they focus on completely different characters in unrelated timelines. It's hard for me to say which provides more replay value yet since I've only played through 2 once so far, but I'd say they are pretty close to each other content wise. 2 has a longer main story I believe, but Overclock has the extra days on the end so they probably even out.
Alright thanks, out of the two, which would you recommend? Overclocked or DS2?

Jun 19, 12 at 6:49am
bbb7002004

quote VonDoom
Yeah been looking into that one too. Im mainly looking for a game that will leave me with lots to do even when I beat it, which the Devil Survivors look like they will be doing quite well. My question is, if I do in fact go with one of the Devil Survivors, would their be a benefit to playing overclocked before DS2? I have never played any SMT game, so I dont know if there is some kind of back ground I would want from overclocked, or if I should skip it and go straight to DS2. And are there any big differences between the two? Does one look better than the other, more endings, etc. Thanks for all your input guys, it really is helping
Their isn't really a connection between DS1 and DS2, they focus on completely different characters in unrelated timelines. It's hard for me to say which provides more replay value yet since I've only played through 2 once so far, but I'd say they are pretty close to each other content wise. 2 has a longer main story I believe, but Overclock has the extra days on the end so they probably even out.

Jun 18, 12 at 8:21pm
Akira_EX

Find a copy of Strange Journey.

Good prep for the inevitable SMT4 NA release.

Jun 18, 12 at 6:39pm
VonDoom

quote bbb7002004
Overclock is my most played game on the 3DS.

The game is pretty much exactly the same as the DS version of the game, just with several new demons and extra stories that take place after several of the multiple endings. The game does meld strategy gameplay with classic RPG battle mechanics since you place and move teams around a grid to get close to enemies and initiate turn based battles. It doesn't really make use of the features of the 3DS though, hardly using 3D at all.

Not to add more to your plate, but the DS sequel, Devil Survivor 2, just came out in the states and is also great and perfectly playable on 3DS, and a ton of fun.

Jun 17, 12 at 6:57pm
bbb7002004

Overclock is my most played game on the 3DS.

The game is pretty much exactly the same as the DS version of the game, just with several new demons and extra stories that take place after several of the multiple endings. The game does meld strategy gameplay with classic RPG battle mechanics since you place and move teams around a grid to get close to enemies and initiate turn based battles. It doesn't really make use of the features of the 3DS though, hardly using 3D at all.

Not to add more to your plate, but the DS sequel, Devil Survivor 2, just came out in the states and is also great and perfectly playable on 3DS, and a ton of fun.

Jun 17, 12 at 6:09pm
bond007106

I couldn't say, to be honest, since I haven't played Devil Survivor Overclocked (it's not out in the UK; although it is out later this year, and I shall be getting it on release day, if that's any indication).
I haven't played the original, either. But I do know that, as you say, it was very well received, with both its gameplay and story greatly complimented. And I also have experience with other Shin Megami Tensei games, all of which are excellent.
Tales of the Abyss is a sort-of action RPG (if you've played any Tales games before, you'll know what the battle system is like. It's an active one.), whereas Devil Survivor Overclocked is a turn-based strategy RPG, if that distinction makes any difference.
The only other thing I would say is that Devil Survivor Overclocked is more likely to stay in print longer than Tales of the Abyss, so if you definitely want both eventually, Tale of the Abyss might be the wiser choice to buy first

Jun 17, 12 at 5:13pm
VonDoom

Alright thanks for all the info guys! I think ive ruled out Mario Tennis (maybe another time, im more in an rpg kind of mood ha ha), but now Shin Megami Tensei has entered the scene. How was Devil Survivor Overclocked? I know the original was wildly popular and considered one of the best strategy games of 2009. Pretty much between that and TotA now.

Jun 17, 12 at 4:34pm
bond007106

I would recommend Tales of the Abyss in a heartbeat. You won't regret it.

quote VonDoom
I do have some questions about tales though:
1) Can you equip different weapons and actually see the new weapon when fighting?
2) is there a lot of replay value/things to do once you've beaten the main story?
1)Yes, you do see your equipped weapons when fighting (not armour or accessories, though).
2)Yes and no. Once you beaten the main story, that's it. The end of the game (as with most RPGs, to be honest). But there are a lot of side-quests, many of which only open up once you reach the final dungeon (and in the case of a few, just before you fight the final boss). On top of this, there's getting all of the characters' titles', completing the item compendium, and various other extras. There are also several sidequests, including a quite large optional dungeon, that are only available in New Game +.

Jun 17, 12 at 4:30pm
bbb7002004

I love Tales of the Abyss. To speak to your particular questions, your equipped weapon does appear on all characters in battle and their are tons of sidequests to take on. There is also a new game + option available, which lets you get bonuses and bring over settings into a new game, increasing replay value greatly. You can expect 35-40 hours on a quick playthrough, more like 60-80 for a complete run.