Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » General Playstation 3 » Dust 514 » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jun 15, 12 at 9:40amAeirou

I wasn't keeping a close eye on this game other than some here and there articles... but then I read this:

quote Shacknews.com
As with most free-to-play games, CCP's upcoming PS3-exclusive shooter, Dust 514, will end up costing something for dedicated players. For example, fully outfitting a character with high-end gear will cost pennies.

"If you assume that somebody came in and had to buy, with real-world money, the best gear for a serious throw down--it was like a 24-cent thing," CCP's Morgan Godat said.

"We're talking about relatively small amounts of money," Godat told Eurogamer. "You can buy 100 copies of this gun, you can buy 100 copies of this suit of armor." The reason you will buy so much gear is because when you die, you lose it. "We've got to make sure we're pricing things at the right level, because if you die [you lose these things]."

Pricing is still in flux, something being determined by current players in the beta."We're still tuning prices--the costs will change according to the feedback we get on the beta."

The game is currently in closed beta for EVE players, and many of them have already been paying real money for gear. CCP plans to refund that money once the beta ends. On or around June 29, the beta opens to non-EVE players and will also hook up to EVE's tranquility server, joining the two games for the first time. The actual launch date for Dust 514 has not been set yet.
Source: http://www.gamefly.com/news/article/213181/high-end-dust-514-load-out-to-cost-about-24/#.T9tjELUwnAk

Now I understand, 24 cents is not much... but this is a shooting game. If you have to pay 24 cents for each piece of armor late in the game. That's Chest, Arms, Legs, Helmet, Weapon. Assuming they go for different pieces to a set. You're paying 1.20 per death just to get your gear back. W. T. F.

I'm completely off it now. I'm not spending money to play this game when I can use that money for something else. Like another game that doesn't penny me to death. (Pun intended)

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Sep 25, 12 at 8:07pm
Red 9

I didn't like it mainly due to the fact that the controls and sensitivity were bollocks no matter how I tried to tweak them, and the hit detection was ass. Deleted the beta pretty quick.

Sep 25, 12 at 3:54pm
Seeker X

Who's played DUST 514 yet btw? I dunno, I think this is a pretty solid MMO for console players. DC Universe did the exact same thing, and 514 is slightly easier to play...though that's not really saying much. The depth in the game is amazing, choosing a specific corporation to work for, tons of skills to upgrade (probably 40+ for a single character), and a persistent universe that even your actions can make an impact on the EVE universe. Though the problem being that the game is WAY TOO *bleep*ING BIG. Half the time you'll be lost, and like all MMO's...the interface *bleep*ing sucks ass. Customizing your character's gear and weapons is very confusing (just switching grenades is a battle of wits). While the combat gameplay is obviously lacking a lot in both animation and graphics, at least it's really diverse (vehicles, air support, strategic ammo cache points, objectives, etc).

All in all, I'm interested to see what I can do in the game...I just don't feel like doing THAT much...all I really care about is getting my share of in-game currency and skill points each time I finish a match, and there's no way in hell I'm paying for any of that premium shit.

Sep 23, 12 at 10:23am
GOTDUST

I realize this post is a little dated but:
I just wanted to add my .24 cents! I have been playing DUST 514 for 4 weeks now! I feel like an addict on crack! Just cant get enough! I have killed 1000's and NEVER spent a single dollar! The main thing most of you dont know is, when you go into battle, you are fighting people that have simular weapons/skills ! They are not gonna allow a newbie to get slaughtered! That would just be plain wrong! Nobody would even play as most of you have'nt because of your uneducated thoughts. I will admit, the first week was h*ll. After I got use to the control settings, a single head shot put those rebels to the ground : ) I am to the point were I am comfortable and don't intend to do anymore upgrades to my profile! I have almost 8,000,000 in unspent skill points and another 6,000,000 for weapons. Every battle you earn a minimum of 100,000 cash points! In the beginning I just ran around hacking everything to build up cash/skill points. They are worth more then kills! I now have tanks, drop ships and about 30 high end weapons. I found an excellent sniper point I will share! You CANNOT be killed from this point! When you get a drop ship, fly it to the top of either MCC mothership and land on top! I get a minimum of 10 kills a battle! Dust 514 is no different then call of duty black ops! It just looks different! I don't even play black ops any more : ( I really loved that game. The only downside to playing the beta testing is, when it's finished, everything you earned will be reset! You will have to start over once the official version launches! However, every REAL dollar you spend, will be credited to you once it restarts! My advise to anyone wanting to play, WAIT until the official release! Then everyone will have to wait to even buy high end weapons! You can only use weapons that you have the skills to use! Skill points CANNOT be bought! Also, the beta version still has some bugs. It's sometimes hard to join battles, and sometimes I get disconnected while in a 200,000 dollar tank. That sucks! I hope most of you will give it an honest try! I really look forward to shooting you all in the head! : ) Revenge is sweet! Some of these guys hold grudges! They will hunt you down!
I want to add one more thing! If you are just starting out, don't waste millions on guns/equipment you cant use! I made that mistake! I only wish they would add a way to sell them back. Dust 514 call sign (GOTDUST). If anyone needs advise I respond to emails! It REALLY is a great game!
Oh, and there are only about different 5 boards available in the testing. Lost of hiding spots on all of them! I love a good ambush spot! The thing I love most is walking up behind an unexpecting sniper and blowing his/her head off with my shotgun! Never gets old!

Jun 16, 12 at 12:07pm
redneonfish

Except it's a free-to-play game, of course you're going to have purchase the best things in-game. Clearly people are willing to do that, and I fear it's going to become more common. Especially since Crytek have stated that they will go solely free to play in the future.

Jun 16, 12 at 9:57am
Aeirou

Yes, I completely understand that. However, the best gear in the game HAS to be paid for and will not be available to earn in game without paying. That is the point.. is that you can't have the best stuff without paying.

I'd rather just pay 60 for the game and have the armor included for earning in-game.

Jun 16, 12 at 9:38am
ShadowGuard

quote Aeirou
So after reading more into it I discovered that they actually expect people to buy stacks of suits of armor and weapons. Like a hundred at a time just to keep on their characters in the event of a death. 100 suits of armor + 100 weapons = 48 american dollars. Hey look, it's a "free-to-play" game that costs more than an HD collection!
You do realize that you dont have to pay for that stuff right... There are guns that do not have to be purchased.

Jun 16, 12 at 8:23am
Existence

... Screen size doesn't change that he's clearly looking to the right and upwards, not downwards.

Jun 16, 12 at 7:52am
Aeirou

...My screen must be bigger than yours.

Jun 16, 12 at 5:30am
Existence

Must be something wrong with your PC. He's staring at the scroll bar.

Jun 16, 12 at 5:00am
Aeirou

...Your face is staring at the girl with the popsicle..