Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Just ordered 3x 27" 2560x1440 Monitors... » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Jun 13, 12 at 12:22amOhmycaptain

Yep. I haven't been on Neoseeker forums for a very long time (I always check the Neoseeker news, though), but I figured I had to let you guys who remember me know... I just pulled the trigger on three 27" Quad HD Korean monitors (Catleaps).

Spent $930 total. I was going to spend $1,200 on the new Samsung S27B970 PLS monitor, but this was way more worth it. Since these monitors are basically A- Apple Cinema Displays, I know they're going to be high quality. Although, the dead pixel rate is about 1 in 4-5, but no more than 5 dead pixels are allowed and with 3.7M pixels, you'd be hard pressed to ever find a dead pixel. Hopefully I get none, but if I do, for $310 each, it is still worth it.

Now, I know two 7970's won't be maxing out BF3 at 7680x1440, but it should do a good job at high settings which is good enough for me. If it's really bad I'll wait another few months and upgrade to a triple SLI/CFX board and add a third 7970, and game on one monitor until then, and use the other two for massive amounts of multitasking.

Currently I'm using a single S27a850D 27" 2560x1440 monitor, and while it's great, I like to switch things up a bit.

Anyway, they should be here anywhere between Friday and Tuesday. I will most definitely post pictures and videos for you all.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jun 19, 12 at 7:50pm
Ohmycaptain

Okay guys, turns out that it's going to be a much bigger investment than I'm willing to spend to get these monitors up and running the way I wanted. My Adapter is not working (it is active) and to get two more graphics cards isn't really a concern... but getting 2 more cards, a new CPU, a motherboard, and a PSU... That's another story.

So I'm selling these. I know

But, there's some good news - I just ordered three S27a950D 120hz 27" monitors which I will be able to run on two 7970's

So those should be here Friday, and I will definitely upload some pics and possibly a video for you all when those come.

If you're interested in buying any of these monitors, I've got a thread on hardocp about them. You can PM me on Neoseeker if you're interested, I'm selling them for $310 + Shipping, because I want to break even with them. They are guaranteed pixel perfect, no dead/stuck pixels, no defects, and will likely ship faster than from Korea.

Jun 15, 12 at 9:14pm
ashantiqua

deepglove, removing a bezel is beneficial, however most of the time there is still hardware that extends along the edges of the display so its very difficult to get that 'seamless' look (ive taken a few apart, its actually pretty easy... some however, like some CRTs, retain such high voltages even when left unplugged for a while that if you touch the wrong part *it could kill you*, so be careful).

im a bit more concerned about the image quality of the displays themselves though. every monitor available today has a laundry list of trade-offs... its frustrating.

Jun 15, 12 at 5:33pm
Ohmycaptain

I got the Catleap because I heard they're less of a crapshoot on quality, but not as good as the Crossover's. I wanted three crossovers, but the difference in price was too much for me, so I went with the middle of the road choice, the Catleap.

Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

Jun 15, 12 at 3:28am
deeplove

Only thing I've read about the Achieva ShiMian (if those are the ones you ordered) is that it's a crap shoot on quality. Some have gotten real good, no dead pixel with up to 120hz panels while the unlucky ones have received a panel with a dead pixel epidemic on them. Yes, $300 something but if you're one of the unlucky ones then you'll have to ship it to the manufacturer and that seems to get expensive after a while. But yes, the Achieva ShiMian looks like a solid monitor for the price if you're one of the lucky ones.

ashantiqua, there are some monitors with thin bezels. I believe if you're good with tools, you can remove the outer case and use just the panel itself for no bezels at all. Of course you have to be very confident with your skills mainly to do such a thing. My wife has these acer monitors that are thin bezel and they're great for slapping some together without noticing much of the bezel itself.

Jun 14, 12 at 4:03pm
Ohmycaptain

Anandtech actually did a review of one of these monitors and it performed better than almost every monitor they tested it with, which is what made me pull the trigger. I'm sure they got a better than normal display, but still.

Jun 14, 12 at 1:48pm
ashantiqua

personally im still on the fence regarding multiple monitors for gaming... intuitively id think i would prefer one great monitor to 3 decent ones... esp. since i think the bezels of the multiple monitors would be distracting.

not sure though.

"Since these monitors are basically A- Apple Cinema Displays, I know they're going to be high quality"

are you gonna be using these for gaming? if so, depending on how picky you are, not so much, ... average / poor black levels, slow response rate which yields ghosting, average color accuracy, poor contrast at max brightness... not sure what the max refresh rate is either. (source: http://www.anandtech.com/print/3946).

Jun 14, 12 at 1:17pm
harbin

I know what you mean about that TBH. Playing a PS2 is awful on my TV... which basically would rule out alot of enjoyment for playing FF7 on the console again... tempted to actually pull my CRT monitor out just so I can get a low enough resolution it doesn't *bleep* the image up, would mean finding a VGA to component cable though.

Jun 14, 12 at 11:56am
Ohmycaptain

quote 10jdrole
How do these monitors work with things that only support up to 1080p, like game consoles or hdmi out on phones? Does it just upscale the image?
They work, but an Xbox looks like crap on a 1080p TV, so it looks even more upscaled on a 2560x1440 monitor.

Honestly, if games were true native 1080p with anti-aliasing on consoles it wouldn't look bad, but because most are 720p (4x lower than these monitor's resolutions), and some even sub-720p, it looks awful.

I've personally played Xbox on my current S27a850D 2560x1440 monitor and it looked like garbage, but that's just my opinion on all consoles.

Jun 14, 12 at 5:59am
deeplove

once you use 2 monitors, it's kind of hard to go back to a single monitor setup. Well, IMO. I can't. I need multiple monitors myself. Not really for eyefinity but to multitask. If I'd go with 3 monitors, I see myself using the center monitor in landscape and the other 2 on the side on portrait. 3 in landscape would be too much for me.

Jun 14, 12 at 5:24am
harbin

Kinda urges me to set up the 4:3 ratio monitor I've just got lying disused... problem would be I'd have to move around quite alot of stuff to make it fit, including taking it's stand off and getting some wall mounts.

Not the same size which would make gaming awkward but then again I could use my TV for gaming and the secondary to open a browser window, itunes, etc...

On the otherhand I have got a 1080p monitor at the moment, with plenty of space for stuff so it's not really a big deal for me at the minute.