Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Resident Evil 2 » Running Resident Evil 2 Platinum on Windows 7 64 Bit » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

May 11, 12 at 1:55am
john2earth

I've decided to repost this information here from another thread since alot of people all over the internet are encountering these problems when running the game on newer hardware. All of these problems I've ran into personally at one time or another and can confirm these solutions to work through personal experience. If you're playing on Windows 7 64 Bit, here's what you'll want to do in order to enjoy the game trouble free:

1.) After installing the game, change the game's save path to your HDD's root directory. For example, I installed the game on my PC's HDD, which is my B:/ drive, so I changed my save path to B:/RESIDENT EVIL 2/. Alot of times people run into problems loading and saving games while on newer operating systems. Doing this along with the Compatibility Mode changes I've listed below will fix those problems.

2.) Navigate to wherever you have Resident Evil 2 installed and right click on Resident Evil 2's .exe file, then click on Properties. Now click on the Compatibility tab. Now check the box where it says "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and click on Windows 95 from the drop down box, then check the box "Run this program as an administrator". Lastly, click the Apply button.

3.) Before running Resident Evil 2, always make sure Windows Media Player is opened and running a video continuously while minimized. Windows Media Player volume can be muted. Many players on newer operating systems have problems with the game running at half speed. By doing this, the game will run at full speed. This needs to be done each and every time you run the game.

4.) Open Resident Evil 2's Options from the start up menu and under the Screen Adjustment tab you'll see Device Setup with a drop down box below it. Begin running Resident Evil 2, trying out each of the drivers displayed in that box, starting from Voodoo until you reach the bottom of the list. This is the only way to determine which set of drivers work best with your GPU. Some drivers won't play videos or will have screen corruption during gameplay such as lines or boxes, while others will lag while using shaders or alpha blending. You want to experiment with each of the drivers provided until you find which drivers work best with your GPU. I run the game on two GTX 570s (SLI disabled from NCP's Resident Evil 2 profile) with Voodoo RUSH drivers selected from the Device Setup's drop down box. Those are the only drivers from the list that give me no problems.

5.) Open your GPU's Control Panel and make sure Anistropic Filtering and all forms of Anti Aliasing are disabled when running Resident Evil 2. You can either disable them for all applications before you run Resident Evil 2 each time or create a profile for Resident Evil 2 and have them disabled there. You're best off creating a profile for Resident Evil 2 so you don't have to do it each time you run the game.

6.) If you're running two Nvidia GPUs in SLI or two ATI GPUs in Crossfire, make sure to disable SLI or Crossfire in your GPU Control Panel when running Resident Evil 2. Just like above, it's best to create a Resident Evil 2 profile and set Single GPU there rather than disable SLI or Crossfire every time you want to play the game.

7.) After running Resident Evil 2, Alt + Tab out of the game and click on Start, then Control Panel. On the right hand side just below Display, you'll see "Adjust screen resolution". Click on that. In small blue letters towards the bottom right of the page just a few inches above the Apply button you'll see "Advanced settings". Click on that. Now find the Monitor tab at the top of the box that pops up and click on that. Towards the bottom of the next box you'll see Colors with a drop down box below it. Alot of times after running Resident Evil 2, this will be changed from True Color (32 bit) to High Color, so you'll want to click on True Color (32 bit) if it's not already selected. By doing this, you'll notice a higher texture quality in game. Once you've done this, click the Apply button.

8.) While playing through Claire, Scenario A, switch to full screen mode just before reaching the Umbrella Laboratory Monitor Room if you're playing in Windowed Mode. Reason being, there's a bug which causes the game to crash when Claire views Leon on the Monitor in the Umbrella Laboratory Monitor Room if you're playing the game in Windowed Mode.

9.) Make sure Movies are turned on in Resident Evil 2's Options before reaching the T-103-R fight (T-103's mutated form). Reason being, their's a bug which causes the game to crash shortly following the cut scene where the train takes off if Movies are turned off. It's best to just leave Movies turned on and pres the Spacebar if you wish to skip them so you never have to worry about it happening.

I know it's a laundry list, but once you've done all of this, you'll no longer encounter the many problems that come with running the game on Windows 7 64 Bit. It's a very old application, so you've really got to do alot of work to get it running smoothly at full speed without any problems on newer hardware.