Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » Call of Duty: Black Ops II » Where to next? Where will Black Ops II leave the next installment from Infinity Ward? The end of Modern Warfare? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

Black Ops Black Ops 2 Brigadier General Colonel 2nd Lieutenant Ghosts Major Lieutenant Colonel Corporal General Captain Lieutenant General 1st Lieutenant Major General Master Sergeant Modern Warfare Modern Warfare 3 Private Sergant Major Sergeant

hideOriginal Post

May 10, 12 at 3:08amHorse

Ok, so a thread about the game's setting.

As we all know, the news that nobody expected was that Black Ops II will be set in the near future, 2025 or whatever, as well as having elements of the single-player mode set in the 1980's.

Now, having a look at the settings of each of the recent Call of Duty games, we can see that we have Modern Warfare, set in a contemporary environment (2011). Modern Warfare 2 is set five years after this (2016), while Modern Warfare 3 is set just after MW2 in a 'World War III' scenario.

Looking back, We have World at War set during World War II, while Black Ops is set post-WWII.

Looking at Black Ops II's setting in relation to the recent Modern Warfare games, it must be asked: where next for the Call of Duty franchise? It is quite obvious now that the CoD developers will churn a game out every year, because they know that people will buy it no matter what. This game could have Advanced Lag Compensation and it would still break records.

However, the setting for Black Ops II leaves no room for Infinity Ward's next installment of the franchise in 2013. Infinity Ward's series may be known as 'Modern Warfare', but where can they go after Black Ops II? The setting for Black Ops II would have been the ideal setting for the next Modern Warfare game. It would be unwise for them to make a game set around the same time as BO2 as people would just call it a rehash (of BO2, we all know CoD games in general are more or less the same), regardless of whether the story is a direct sequel to MW3 or not. Looking at Locrian's thread regarding the futuristic setting of BO2 possibly leading to legal action, you can assume that the sure-fire cash cow series, Modern Warfare, has been backed into a corner with nowhere to go.

This begs several questions though: are the developers running out of ideas for settings? Did the developers have no choice BUT to choose a near-future setting? Was this done to intentionally screw over the Modern Warfare franchise? Does this mean that we will be seeing an entirely new angle from Infinity Ward next year, with the Modern Warfare series being done and dusted? Perhaps a collaboration from the two developers?

So, what we can think about is the direction for future Call of Duty games. Where can they go that we haven't been before? If they return to a setting, how can they make it better without adding new killstreaks and smaller maps? What can we expect from Infinity Ward next year?

Is this the end of the Modern Warfare series?

Interesting musing ladies, interesting musing.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jan 27, 13 at 4:35pm
FunkyMonkey21

They release a new game every November right? With the new concoles coming out end of the year or beginning of next year then what would be the point of making modern warfate 4 or w/e it will be called for the current consoles? will they make it for this console or the next?

Jan 27, 13 at 3:36pm
Vladdy

Treyarch and Infinity Ward are not competing. The reason why they introduced a new team is because they wanted to throw out a new cod game every year, to make more money. Let's face it, cod is easily the most popular game franchise of today. But I agree on that that they are running out of ideas...

Nov 13, 12 at 4:36am
IcarusAbides

quote red man
quote IcarusAbides
quote red man
Yeah but they should just change the weapons around or the maps and introduce a couple of new features and do what fifa does every year.
Please tell me that's sarcasm

Cos that's what they do now.
I know it was , it's just they either have to change it up completly now or just stop doing it :L or....develop the game for two or three years and let the anticipation build again
Yeah I agree with that but I seriously doubt they will drop the yearly cycle while sales are still so high.

Nov 13, 12 at 4:35am
red man

quote IcarusAbides
quote red man
Yeah but they should just change the weapons around or the maps and introduce a couple of new features and do what fifa does every year.

I know it was , it's just they either have to change it up completly now or just stop doing it :L or....develop the game for two or three years and let the anticipation build again

Nov 13, 12 at 4:25am
IcarusAbides

quote red man

Nov 13, 12 at 4:23am
red man

quote IcarusAbides
quote red man
Another MW PLEASE mw2 and 3 I loved I don't understand the problem with mw3 and why everyone moaned about it.
I can't speak for everyone else but the problem with MW3 for me was I didn't enjoy the campaign anywhere near as much as previous MW games, I disliked the whole global city wide warfare that the game focused one.

My Main problem though was that I found it really hard to get into the multi-player for MW3, something that I've never had a problem with before and one that I can't really explain.

And surely by MW4 we really will be getting more and more away from Modern Warfare and into Future Warfare.

Or they could do something different and go back to the stone ages and we'd run around cliffs with little flint knives and stuff that would be pretty cool :L

also I reckon you should be able to change your characters height weight and stuff so if your guys bigger he can't drop shot as well or if he's fat he can't run as fast and stuff like that, that would be so good

Nov 13, 12 at 4:10am
IcarusAbides

quote red man
Another MW PLEASE mw2 and 3 I loved I don't understand the problem with mw3 and why everyone moaned about it.
I can't speak for everyone else but the problem with MW3 for me was I didn't enjoy the campaign anywhere near as much as previous MW games, I disliked the whole global city wide warfare that the game focused one.

My Main problem though was that I found it really hard to get into the multi-player for MW3, something that I've never had a problem with before and one that I can't really explain.

And surely by MW4 we really will be getting more and more away from Modern Warfare and into Future Warfare.

Nov 13, 12 at 4:01am
red man

Nov 13, 12 at 3:23am
IcarusAbides

I wouldn't mind a return to a WWII setting, I liked the original Black Ops but MW3 didn't hold my attention much at all.

Not keen on a Ghost Recon esque Future Soldier setting though.

Nov 12, 12 at 4:15pm
Yogurt

'Ow about, Call of Duty: The Spanish Armada? Musket warfare!