Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » First Time Computer Build » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

May 08, 12 at 10:40amWakaman

Budget: I'd say that my max budget(from a trusted neomember suggestion) would be from $1000-$1300USD.

My Location: I live in the United States so currency would be USD.

Main Purpose: I plan to use it mainly for gaming and work/Uni related things so digital media, internet, gaming, and minor programs(Office and such).

Multitasking: Medium to alot amount of multitasking.

Games: I'd like to be able to play Battlefield 3 & Skyrim on ultra.

Resolution: I would love any recommendations here as I'm not aware which are the best for gaming. This one looks pretty sweet.

Overclocking: I plan on doing quite a bit since I plan on being part of the Brony@Home team.

Peripherals I have: None. I would appreciate it if you could find some recommendations.

Recycled Parts: None

This is ofcourse my first build so I don't really know anything about cases, RAM, HDDs etc. I'd appreciate some insight.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

May 11, 12 at 1:53pm
Wakaman

quote hiigaran
actually, why was i going to link a better cooler? the one linked is fine. anyway if you want a 77 mobo, grab this for $99.99
Haha sweet, and for only $30 more.

May 11, 12 at 2:19am
hiigaran

actually, why was i going to link a better cooler? the one linked is fine. anyway if you want a 77 mobo, grab this for $99.99

May 10, 12 at 12:48am
hiigaran

why leave the ssd out of it all of a sudden? these debates are also to the ops benefit.

also, the 75 may swap to x8 for dual cards, but pcie 3 bandwidth negates that problem. now if i can find reasonably priced 77 boards, ill link later on today, along with a better cooler.

May 09, 12 at 6:00pm
PureOCJim

quote hiigaran
one point which would require a mobo 70 bucks more expensive, plus 80 bucks for the drive itself is far from enough to call the chipset far superior. the mosfet cooling wouldnt be because of the chipset, so that point is moot and dependant on the mobo model. pretty sure phase change also.

sure, the caching makes the 77 better, but with that being the only real advantage, the cost is not justified, even if it is within budget, which mind you, does not have to be completely used up.

think of it like this..

With all due respect, lets leve the SSD out of it. I test motherboards and there are some differences like mentioned. The Z75 chipset only has 1 x 16X PCIe slot,

The Z77 boards have better mofset cooler, better chipset cooler, more power phase and more PCIe slots.. The Z77 board will overclock better and all around a better board. I really do not want to debate this as we have said our peace. i am sure he can make his mind up now he has heard your and my spin. I test boards and he can find cheaer Z77 boaurds too. The gigabyte Z77-UD3H is pretty cheap so there are more options for him.

May 09, 12 at 5:57pm
Wakaman

quote hiigaran
okay, got a build for $1191.91 - $10 MIR - 15% promo code on the PSU:

Case $79.99

PSU $109.99

RAM $49.99

CPU Cooler $37.99

HDD & DVD Combo $103.98

CPU & Mobo Combo $309.98

Video Card $499.99

high performance cooling case, gold efficiency 750 watt PSU, 8 GB low voltage 1600mhz RAM, cheap but effective CPU cooler, 1TB hard drive with 64 meg cache and 7200 RPM, cheap DVD burner, i5-3750K ivy bridge CPU, a supporting mobo, and a GTX 680.

so the case and the CPU cooler together should keep your CPY cool enough while overclocking. the gold efficiency PSU means less heat is made by the PSU and you spend less on electricity bills...both good things. low voltage RAM uses less power and makes less heat. the ivy bridge CPU uses less power and makes less heat, and clock for clock, is about 15% faster than sandy bridge. and of course, the GTX 680 is a more powerful, less power hungry version of the GTX 580.

now a few things. i dont know if you want the OS included in the budget, or the monitor, so i left some money in the budget as extra. if you have enough money, you might want to swap out to some overclocking grade RAM. keep in mind that overclocking RAM ont really affect performance that much, unless you have some RAM intensive applications usually for servers. keep the linked RAM if you dont care. as for the CPU cooler, you can keep it, or go for something even more powerful if you want to spend the money on it. same for the mobo. if you want something better, swap it out (but it should be fine for overclocking...the mobo usually only makes a difference in extreme overclocking, anyway).

also, if you dont want to wait for a GTX 680 to be in stock, grab the 580.
That's a sexy looking case.
Yeah the monitor isn't included in the budget and neither is the OS. I think I'll keep the linked RAM and try going for a more powerful CPU cooler.

If you recommend the 680 I don't mind waiting. Also something that caught my attention was the Nvidia surround with up to four monitors part. It would be sweet to game on three monitors to be honest.

I appreciate the help guys!

May 09, 12 at 2:36pm
hiigaran

dammit, psp character limit again. as i was saying...

...imagine a gtx 580 and 680. suppose the 580 costs 400, and the 680 500 bucks. assume the only difference is performance. would you insist on the 680 if the extra performance was 5 percent? because you are along the same lines with the mobos.

one other thing...as someone who uses a 1tb hard drive, i can say that the loading times arent anything to complain about. okay, 10 second boot, but its not worth spending money on if you can spend it elsewhere.

May 09, 12 at 2:28pm
hiigaran

one point which would require a mobo 70 bucks more expensive, plus 80 bucks for the drive itself is far from enough to call the chipset far superior. the mosfet cooling wouldnt be because of the chipset, so that point is moot and dependant on the mobo model. pretty sure phase change also.

sure, the caching makes the 77 better, but with that being the only real advantage, the cost is not justified, even if it is within budget, which mind you, does not have to be completely used up.

think of it like this..

May 09, 12 at 2:12pm
PureOCJim

quote hiigaran
as low end as it gets? there are only two ivy bridge chipsets.

the only difference between Z75 and Z77 as far as i can tell is that Z77 can support smart response technology, and a minor addition to PCI-e configurations which wouldnt make a difference for anyone with less than 3 cards. as for the SRT, it just allows your SSD to act as a cache for a secondary hard drive. big whoop. not worth the extra 80 bucks. wouldnt be worth an extra 15 bucks. if you want to get a 'better' motherboard, it should be for better overclocking capabilities, which ive already mentioned is still an option if OP still has money left over.

SSD is also still an option, but i dont recommend it to someone unless their budget is a minimum of 1400-1500, depending on the deals.

better Mofset cooling, better phase change... You can get a 60G SSD for $80. He does not need a budget that high to get a SSD. put OS and main programs on the SSD.

The caching is worth the $80. The biggest bottleneck in his system will be the HDD. The read/write/copy speeds will be up to 5 times better along with the OS load times. Why have a poor drive with a nice system like this would be my question. If he does not need 1T HDD he could get a smaller HDD.

He also said a lot of multitasking and a SSD would speak for itself...........

The Z77 motherboard still fits within the budget so I have no idea why it would be questioned....... It is a far superior board than the one listed... far....

May 09, 12 at 8:55am
hiigaran

as low end as it gets? there are only two ivy bridge chipsets.

the only difference between Z75 and Z77 as far as i can tell is that Z77 can support smart response technology, and a minor addition to PCI-e configurations which wouldnt make a difference for anyone with less than 3 cards. as for the SRT, it just allows your SSD to act as a cache for a secondary hard drive. big whoop. not worth the extra 80 bucks. wouldnt be worth an extra 15 bucks. if you want to get a 'better' motherboard, it should be for better overclocking capabilities, which ive already mentioned is still an option if OP still has money left over.

SSD is also still an option, but i dont recommend it to someone unless their budget is a minimum of 1400-1500, depending on the deals.

May 09, 12 at 8:37am
PureOCJim

quote PureOCJim
quote hiigaran
okay, got a build for $1191.91 - $10 MIR - 15% promo code on the PSU:

Case $79.99

PSU $109.99

RAM $49.99

CPU Cooler $37.99

HDD & DVD Combo $103.98

CPU & Mobo Combo $309.98

Video Card $499.99

high performance cooling case, gold efficiency 750 watt PSU, 8 GB low voltage 1600mhz RAM, cheap but effective CPU cooler, 1TB hard drive with 64 meg cache and 7200 RPM, cheap DVD burner, i5-3750K ivy bridge CPU, a supporting mobo, and a GTX 680.

so the case and the CPU cooler together should keep your CPY cool enough while overclocking. the gold efficiency PSU means less heat is made by the PSU and you spend less on electricity bills...both good things. low voltage RAM uses less power and makes less heat. the ivy bridge CPU uses less power and makes less heat, and clock for clock, is about 15% faster than sandy bridge. and of course, the GTX 680 is a more powerful, less power hungry version of the GTX 580.

now a few things. i dont know if you want the OS included in the budget, or the monitor, so i left some money in the budget as extra. if you have enough money, you might want to swap out to some overclocking grade RAM. keep in mind that overclocking RAM ont really affect performance that much, unless you have some RAM intensive applications usually for servers. keep the linked RAM if you dont care. as for the CPU cooler, you can keep it, or go for something even more powerful if you want to spend the money on it. same for the mobo. if you want something better, swap it out (but it should be fine for overclocking...the mobo usually only makes a difference in extreme overclocking, anyway).

also, if you dont want to wait for a GTX 680 to be in stock, grab the 580.

Why a Z75 motherboard. That is as low end as you can get. Get this Asrock Z77 motherboard combo for $340. Still within budget. I would also look at a cheap SSD. A platter drive still remains the biggest bottleneck within a system. Add a 60G SSD and load operationg system and use the 1T HDD for data storage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.910482