Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » Showcases and Work Logs » Veg's build log - Skyfire Born » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Hello, and welcome to the Showcases and worklogs forum! This forum is primarily for users to post about their computers and discuss them. You are welcome to join in the discussion, and if you wish to create your own, please register! Its free!The Showcase forum is for people to 'brag' and show off their computers they have already built. If you are asking for advice on a computer you plan on building, please post that in the main forum.

Thanks.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

May 02, 12 at 6:20pmVeGiTAX2

So I should have made this a while back but at least I'm starting something now.

Current Rig: Skyfire

Core components

Case: NZXT Phantom (White)
CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4GHz
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Cooler: GELID GX-7 in push pull configuration
GPU: ASUS R9 290 4GB DirectCU II OC Edition
Audio: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtrememusic PCI (temporarily removed)
RAM: Samsung 8GB DDR3 1333
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB SATA (x2)
Storage: Toshiba SATA 7200RPM 1TB SATA
Storage: Toshiba SATA 7200RPM 2TB SATA
PSU: Antec High Power Gamer 850W
Optical: ASUS 24X DVDRW

Accessories

Monitor 1, 3: Soyo 24" 1920x1200 LCD (Left, Right Monitors)
Monitor 2: HP Carbonite 24" 1920x1200 LCD (Center Monitor)
Mouse: Logitech G9
Keyboard: Ducky Shine Zero - Cherry MX Blue
Speakers: Altec Lansing 641 4.1 system
Headset: Turtle Beach X12 Headset (gaming)
Headphones: Sennheiser EH250 Headphones (music / movies)
Wheel: Logitech G27
Joystick: X-Arcade Solo
Controller: Xbox Wireless + Xbox 360 Controller

=====================================

Current changes:
  • Overclocked B93 from 2.8GHz to 3.6GHz using 257x14 combination, memory was lowered to 533 for headroom and vCore was raised to 1.45 for stability. Will pursue higher frequencies in the future, for now the NB and HT were adjusted down to compensate as well.
  • ASUS R9 290 is stock, haven't found any reason to demand more out of it yet, the presence alone warrants being listed as a change
  • Phantom has dual 200mm fans in push configuration, fanbus keeps these and the rest of the fans at low RPM.
  • Phantom has a BitFenix white LED light strip on the bottom, with the case off it showcases the entire system with just enough light while still letting the blue fans glow. [LED strip died in under a year]
Old changes:
  • Overclocked EAH6850 to 1000MHz core and 1150/4600MHz memory at 1.20v chip runs stable without needing to force the fan on. Average load temp is in the high 60's to low 70's.
  • Windforce 3 is stock at 1.1GHz - pushed to 1.2GHz and GDDR5 to 5200MHz

Future changes:
  • Add a BD-ROM drive to the system

Past parts in this build (Jetfire):
  • Phenom X4 9600 (defective)
  • Phenom X4 9750 (retired)
  • MSI 570 SLI (retired)
  • Sapphire 4850 512 (retired)
  • Acer AL2423W 24" 1920x1200 LCD (Secondary)
  • Cooler Master Real Power Pro 650W
  • Cooler Master Hyper 612 (retired)
  • Jetway HA08 ComboL (CMOS failure)
  • Crucial 4GB DDR2 800 PC6400 (retired)
  • Maxtor 250GB PATA (retired)
  • ASUS EAH6850 DirectCU 1GB (retired)
  • Gigabyte HD 7870 Windforce 3 OC 2GB (retired)
  • Logitech K200 (hoping to move to illuminated) (gtfo)
  • Turtle Beach AK-R8 headset (dead)
  • ASRock 970DE3 / U3S3
  • AMD Phenom II X4 B93 - 3.2GHz (Spring clock)

Current temps:

CPU: 27c Idle | 41c Load -- GPU: 35c Idle | 68c Load

Gallery:

Original Config (Antec 250mm side intake)

GELID GX-7 Upgrade + Phenom II

Benchmarks:

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Aug 17, 14 at 11:14am
VeGiTAX2

quote teodortenchev
Love your setup, I'm gonna work on putting something like this together one day.
Nice, the FX was a tossup but it's performing well, got a good piece of silicon so I'm able to take up the Turbo frequency pretty high. I've had it safely at 4.8 but I'm getting a high enough performance level in productivity and gaming for it not to really matter. That R9 290 needed more CPU power than my Phenom II could give it haha

Jul 08, 14 at 10:11am
teodortenchev

Love your setup, I'm gonna work on putting something like this together one day.

May 22, 14 at 10:11am
VeGiTAX2

So system was still having issues, replaced the PSU some of the drives and dumped in a new CPU and motherboard.

Update:
CPU: AMD FX-8320
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 850W
HSF Update: Dual Corsair AF120's (Push-Pull config)

Pushed the FX to 4.4 then dialed it back to 4GHz, temps stay around 38c right now but I'd rather start with a mild oc to begin

Edit: lol put it back to 4.4, had to balance fan speeds, cooler works like a dream now.

Apr 17, 14 at 5:24pm
VeGiTAX2

Retired the 7870 today, the ASUS R9 290 DirectCU II OC 4GB replaces it, thing is a beast but I love it so much

Comparison shot:

Sep 14, 12 at 8:53am
VeGiTAX2

Start menu runs across all three panels for me (you can disable it to just one) starts from left to right as anything else would be really awkward tbh. Eyefinity keeps them in seamless transitions from there.

deeplove the only title I had to scale back was Battlefield 3 because I was exceeding the memory limit and dragging performance into hell. Put it on medium and it runs fine at this point.

Sep 14, 12 at 6:29am
harbin

quote VeGiTAX2
Adding a teaser of landscape mode, working on some design and coding so I need my portrait mode back.

Which one of those is your actual main monitor that the start menu appears on?

Sep 14, 12 at 6:09am
deeplove

God...I just might. I'm just wondering if the HD6850 would handle it. I'm really hoping to get the 660ti. @ $300 and change it looks like a nice card.

Sep 13, 12 at 2:02pm
VeGiTAX2

Adding a teaser of landscape mode, working on some design and coding so I need my portrait mode back.

Sep 01, 12 at 3:29pm
VeGiTAX2

Yeah, I really need to get a controller because of that.

Basically for specialized gaming I have this

- X-Arcade Solo
- Driving Force Pro
- BS PS2 to PC USB connector lol

A wired 360 controller would do wonders or I could just buy a wireless hub for my existing controllers.

I prefer landscape positioning but right now I'm doing a lot of web coding and comic reviews so the vertical position is ideal because I can squeeze a page on a single monitor without having tiny text.

Movies - great aspect ratio without having to overly stretch the image
Coding - pages of text just fit right in
Comics - same thing, awesome fitting
Gaming - relatively nice overall
Browsing - equally as amazing, I can load mass amounts of info into a single panel and work on the other two.

Because I'm using it for work + play I get a lot of extra work done vs a single 1920x1200 panel, even in dual mode I was at 3840x1200 which trumped the investment of a single larger screen. at 5760x1200 or 3600x1920 I have enough room to tackle mod work, editorial, development and etc forgot to mention I use my PC hard daily haha. Total investment was less than a single 2560x1440 would have hit me for and these are new >>

Sep 01, 12 at 7:34am
harbin

Never seen monitors stacked vertically in crossfire before. :_ooh: TBH though because of the borders around the screen, I'd just rather prefer a massive monitor to that, even if the windows can be organised better. Didn't like how the desktop expanded on mine though.

I can't stand racing games on a keyboard either... which is why I've got an 360 controller for that. Had another one but it wouldn't work with any 'Games for Windows Live' games, plus the triggers wasn't proper triggers.