Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Web Coding » Online web builder? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Apr 23, 12 at 5:22amhiigaran

alright, im on a crappy computer, and i have no program like dreamweaver...is there an online based equivalent that can allow me to build a basic site, then convert it in to downloadable hmtl/css files?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jul 26, 12 at 3:23pm
Aurora

Yep — I like Gedit. It's just nice.

Jul 25, 12 at 7:44pm
Arietta

quote hiigaran
this thread still going, huh? well in any case, ive been using the linux equivalent of notepad (with code highlighting)...gedit.
Gedit is actually pretty sweet. Simple and with a very nice code highlighter.

Jul 25, 12 at 6:12pm
hiigaran

this thread still going, huh? well in any case, ive been using the linux equivalent of notepad (with code highlighting)...gedit.

Jun 27, 12 at 9:13am
BeZ

Well yeah, IE6-IE8 are universally hated by all web devs..

I'm fairly sure that putting a link around a span or div is valid nowadays, are you using the html5 doctype?

<!doctype html>

Jun 27, 12 at 8:48am
harbin

TBH I don't have any trouble getting a valid website (although older versions of IE manage to *bleep* it up), except for one issue which getting an entire div or span to be a link. The only valid way (other than using JavaScript, which I want to avoid incase people don't use it) is to place a floated div inside it that links, but the problem is that some browsers place the non-linked text in front of the linked div.

Jun 27, 12 at 6:13am
BeZ

harbin91, websites don't necessarily need to validate perfectly (although it's a very good indicator of how well you've coded your site), but you can't say that they don't need to adhere to standards, the rules are there to ensure that your site is future proof and will work across all the browsers.

Imagine if you hired a builder to fix your roof and they did a shoddy job but then said "Oh don't worry, I haven't done it to the industry standard but it'll be a couple of years until it collapses!", you wouldn't be happy.

Developers who say "It isn't coded properly but it works, so whatever" are bad developers.

And if you absolutely don't know any HTML but still want your own site then either learn some, get someone else to do it for you or use something like Wordpress.

Jun 26, 12 at 1:39pm
harbin

Your assuming some people bother to adhere to standards, from some developers points of view, if the website works without passing verification, there is no issue. Neoseeker itself fails tons of XHTML and CSS rules.

From an end users point of view, WYSIWG editors are there for people who don't know HTML.

You could try and use Kompozer for creating websites but honestly I can't stand the program, you cannot code CSS out by hand in that...

Jun 26, 12 at 1:31pm
BeZ

Try to avoid WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editors, they often produce very bad code, try to do the code yourself and your website will be more compliant to standards.

Jun 26, 12 at 8:44am
Chekkaa

Real men use Notepad++ Vim.

Jun 26, 12 at 5:04am
Doffy

For a College project we had in 1st year we used Notepad++. Its not amazing but it has a few addons which can help. Can I ask why you want to build it online as opposed to in a text file?