Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » VisionTek Ultimate Performance PC3-17000 Memory Review » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Apr 12, 12 at 5:00pmleochan

We've got another quad-channel memory kit from VisionTek on the review bench today. Hit our link to see how the sub-$100 Ultimate Performance 8GB PC3-17000 memory kit (featuring 11-11-11-30-2T timings) compares against similarly priced offerings from the competition.

VisionTek Ultimate Performance PC3-17000 Memory Review

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Apr 21, 12 at 2:57am
hiigaran

well yeah, obviously, but when comparing sticks with the exact same performance, thats when you can look at other stuff.

Apr 20, 12 at 11:14pm
PureOCJim

Ahhhh, do not look at the voltage when buying new DDR3. They all work at 1.5 to 1.6 volts some less. Look at the cas rating and frequency. The days of cursing 2 volts through memory are over and even at 1.65 volts the memory will never get hot. most memory will not need anything over 1.65 volts.

Apr 20, 12 at 11:18am
hiigaran

well if a module can be stable at a lower voltage, it is of better quality.

as for whether it can withstand higher voltages, im not sure. if you compare it to processors with ever decreasing manufacturing processes (32nm, 22nm etc), you see that the smaller it gets, the lower the vCore, but at the same time, they can overclock more, with less of a voltage increase. even then, their maximum temperature is lower. perhaps it works similarly here.

Apr 20, 12 at 11:13am
ashantiqua

quote hiifive
considering that the modules would had to have been made more stable to run at the lower voltage in the first place, meaning that the parts themselves should be more stable, and because of the lower heat, it should have more tolerance for overclocking, compared to another stick of higher voltage.
what i was thinking. lower stock voltage = better quality modules.

i wonder though, what are the tolerances of low voltage ram? can i take it to, say, the voltage of a non-low voltage ram stick for overclocking purposes?

damnit, now im clamoring for a low-voltage ram review.

Apr 20, 12 at 12:33am
hiigaran

quote ashantiqua
hahah hiigaran why're you so keen on low-voltage ram?

i mean, it offers no performance benefits (does it overclock more?), it isnt like RAM pumps out a ton of heat (i can see it helping a bit for laptops, but not so much desktops), and the small difference in voltage will make a negligible effect to ones power bill.... am i missing something?
for about 5 bucks more, i feel it is worth it. yes, there are absolutely no performance benefits to it, and the energy saved looks small, considering its only about 4 to 6 watts. as for heat, im sure we all know that a little heat can make a big difference as a gamer, enthusiast, or overclocker.

as for the power bill, yep, also going to have a negligible effect. just like the gold efficiency power supplies. but in a few years, they pay themselves off. there are two forms of thinking here - get cheaper parts now, or pay a little more so that you save money in the long run. i am a firm believer in the latter.

also, while i can say for certain whether it will overclock better or not, i would assume so, considering that the modules would had to have been made more stable to run at the lower voltage in the first place, meaning that the parts themselves should be more stable, and because of the lower heat, it should have more tolerance for overclocking, compared to another stick of higher voltage.

Apr 19, 12 at 11:35pm
PureOCJim

Yup Chris, I thought these modules were average. BTW, It seens Crucial is making these for Visiontek (heat spreaders are eerily similiar)

Apr 19, 12 at 9:27pm
ashantiqua

^ if it overlocks more thats awesome and im all for it (would buy for that reason alone), but if a component can be passively cooled, im of the opinion heat really isnt an issue.

Apr 19, 12 at 9:21pm
ashantiqua

hahah hiigaran why're you so keen on low-voltage ram?

i mean, it offers no performance benefits (does it overclock more?), it isnt like RAM pumps out a ton of heat (i can see it helping a bit for laptops, but not so much desktops), and the small difference in voltage will make a negligible effect to ones power bill.... am i missing something?

Apr 13, 12 at 5:40am
hiigaran

not too shabby, i guess. still, at the same time, it is rather 'meh'.

you guys still havent gotten your hands on low voltage RAM, have you? i said it before, and ill say it again...i would REALLY love to read a review on those sticks. in particular, this one, as it looks to be the only kit that runs at 1.25 volts

Apr 12, 12 at 5:00pm
leochan

We've got another quad-channel memory kit from VisionTek on the review bench today. Hit our link to see how the sub-$100 Ultimate Performance 8GB PC3-17000 memory kit (featuring 11-11-11-30-2T timings) compares against similarly priced offerings from the competition.