Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » ReQuests, Feedback and Suggestions » [Suggestion] Away Status » Post Reply

Note to Guests: This forum is only for issues related to neoseeker.com. Please, do not post questions related to games. RFS is for site related discussion. If you require gaming help, check the forum directory here and search for the correct forum.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Apr 10, 12 at 2:37pmwalnuts

My request is that at the moment, Neo has two statuses: online and offline. However, there has been many a time where I've left my computer with Neo on, and left it for hours at a time. Neo shows I'm online, when in reality I'm not. As such, people may try to get in contact with me, only to find out I'm not actually there.

Is there a way to code a 'timer' in to the forums? For instance, after lets say 15 minutes of inactivity on Neoseeker, but still logged in, your status is changed to away. Or, alternatively if you don't want to add an 'away' status, just have it switch to offline.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Apr 11, 12 at 5:05pm
Chelskiman

I'm always set to offline anyway. I also can't see the point in this. I've never come across a PM that requires an immediate reply (even mod related PMs) so I'm not sure how an away status will improve Neo overall. Even in general use on the forums, I'll quote, notify or PM somebody whether they are online or not and simply wait for a reply when that person logs back in. It's different for supers, in particular the Supermods On Duty thread, as people know not to PM a super that's inactive, but other than that I don't really see a point in it.

Apr 11, 12 at 12:08pm
hiigaran

a minute is not going to make a difference. this isnt MSN.

honestly, i cant see much of a point to this suggestion. what difference will it make to others if you are away or not?

Apr 11, 12 at 12:04pm
Castlewars

I think that there should definitely be a button that activates Away status. In that case, you don't need to worry about inactivity time. I got the idea when I was closing my curtains (as it was getting dark) and I wasn't on Neo for a minute. If that were implemented, then I would simply click the button to start the Away status, then click it again to stop it.

Apr 10, 12 at 9:47pm
walnuts

That's a great idea if you know you're going to be away, like on holiday or something, but this sort of thing was for more general, everyday use.

Apr 10, 12 at 9:26pm
Avalith

Instead of a status based on last activity on the site, what if we had this as a PM setting option that functions much like automatic replies in your e-mail account? You set up a message, allow it to automatically reply to PMs, give it the dates you'll be gone, and voila! Instant away status that shows you're actually away from Neoseeker. This could be particularly helpful for supermods or neostaff like tekmosis so people know now to expect a reply to any PMs sent out. Deathman48 made mention of this possibility in the Supermoderator Activity thread; why not have it implemented for genital* use? Community event organizers could benefit greatly from this, as could many moderators.

*: ChiroVette made me do this. Sorry guys.

[color=#666666]This message was edited on 2012-04-10T21:45:21-07:00.

Apr 10, 12 at 3:52pm
Stitch

You'll also notice that when you log out, your status is still showing as online for another 15 to 30 minutes aswell, it kinda works the same way.

I think the server kinda makes it a mandatory thing to keep users online if they are active, but after 15 to 30 minutes of no activity from the user, being it idle or logged out, then the status will change to offline.

The only complaint would be, if someone would contact you in those 30 minutes, while you logged out, thinking you were online.

Although, I don't know if this is a bug or somehting, but the profiles used to have an update on how many minutes the user last activity was before one of the server updates, stuff like last seen on the forums 3 minutes ago, it counted the minutes all up to 15 minutes, if after 15 minutes of no activity, it would change to Was Last seen on the Forums earlier, but for some reason it keeps showing that last one, that it was earlier, but it's infact now or minutes ago.

That was kinda usefull in kinda thinking if the member is still active or was active 15 minutes or more ago.

I'm not sure if it was suppose to be changed to that, because of privacy reasons, or the update to a new forum/site version made that a bug.

Apr 10, 12 at 3:40pm
walnuts

quote Aurora
Stitch has it absolutely right as far as I know. Unless you're actively browsing Neoseeker, your status goes to offline after 10-15 minutes or so.
It's always been 30 minutes for me (I've timed it before haha).

Apr 10, 12 at 3:22pm
Aurora

Stitch has it absolutely right as far as I know. Unless you're actively browsing Neoseeker, your status goes to offline after 10-15 minutes or so.

Apr 10, 12 at 3:01pm
Stitch

Actually, Your status will go to offline after a short while if you leave the computer alone while logged in, or atleast showing no activity on the Neoseeker pages if your somewhere else surfing or doing somehting else on the computer.

Until you refresh the page on Neo, or doing somehting on Neo, then the server will recognise your activity and switches online again.

Apr 10, 12 at 2:59pm
Inhale

I tend to leave my tab with neoseeker logged in to check up on the pokemon trading forum. Sometimes, I'll just leave the tab open all day. An away status would be great so people won't get the idea that I'm ignoring them.