Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » Borderlands 2 » Your bodies cannot possibly be ready for this - 5th dlc playable character....FREE OF CHARGE » Post Reply

Note to Guests: If you are here to request a trade or duplicates please go to the Borderlands 2 Trading Subforum instead, thank you.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:
Community Badges

Join to get access to all the badges!

Angel_BL1 Brick_BL1 Claptrap_CL4P-TP Lilith_BL1 Moxxi_BL1 Ned_BL1

hideOriginal Post

Apr 09, 12 at 1:34pmDedValve

My head hurts. Then again Gearbox's admiration and dedication to gamers surprises me again and again and again. Needless to say after this I immediately went from skeptical and trying to not get hyped to pre-order on the collectors edition.

During a PAX East Gearbox panel, a question popped up that most Borderlands fans have thought about, "Will there be a fifth playable class in Borderlands 2?" And when Randy Pitchford replied in the affirmative, it's fair to say most gamers were surprised/worried/suspicious -- what was the catch? Pre-order DLC, day-1 DLC, something gamers will have to pay for? Not at all, apparently. Randy said the current plan was to introduce the Mechromancer post-launch as a free download for all players.

The Mechromancer will fill the Borderlands pet class void. Growing up as a poor, half-robot girl can be difficult, so why not build yourself a Deathtrap companion to ease your loneliness? Sporting red hair and goggles, with a mechanical arm, I almost thought she could be related to the original Borderlands' Siren, but the eyes definitely don't match.

She's still a long way off however, still in conceptual design actually. Gearbox loves to share its fun with fans though, and introducing a character at a PAX panel is quite awesome of them. Announcing they're planning to release her as free DLC is great marketing, to boot. Perhaps to mock Mass Effect 3's day one character DLC, or perhaps just to show they're paying attention to what consumers want, Gearbox took the time to show us something cool they're doing. Gamers remember that sort of thing.
SOURCE

I jizzed. Repeatedly. Now I must clean up.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Apr 25, 12 at 5:49pm
Vicarious

quote Ditnopota
... Fifth? Fifth playable character? ... Fifth?

I already pegged the game as a Day 1 purchase. What more does Gearbox want from me? Just... just take all the money I have and will ever have, Gearbox. Take it and make more Borderlands games with it.

Lets go together and just throw bags of our money at them. I want this game so bad now.

I love free things. I especially love bad ass free things from video game companies that actually have brains. Bravo

Apr 10, 12 at 10:08am
Ditnopota

... Fifth? Fifth playable character? ... Fifth?

I already pegged the game as a Day 1 purchase. What more does Gearbox want from me? Just... just take all the money I have and will ever have, Gearbox. Take it and make more Borderlands games with it.

Apr 10, 12 at 4:52am
Shadow of Death

quote Foquinha
why not just have it on the disc? :confused:
Because it won't be done when the game goes gold. It's not something they're really working on much yet, but rather a general idea and outline they have. Once the game is done and sent out they'll start working on it properly.

Apr 10, 12 at 2:22am
Foquinha

why not just have it on the disc?

Apr 09, 12 at 5:55pm
Shadow of Death

I don't really mind either TBH. I'm definitely pre-ordering so no loss there. It's not like I'll be done with the game after only 2 or 3 months. I still on rare occasions boot up Borderlands to play it a bit.

Here is to hoping that the character customizations are actually varied and not just a lot of recolors of a handful of designs >_> It's really disappointing when customization is allowed, but the designs are just 'meh'.

Apr 09, 12 at 4:44pm
DedValve

I can understand it being free if you pre-order and actually don't mind it. Money has to go into creating a character and getting free stuff because we bought new while others have to pay, to me is the best way rather than online passes or day 1 dlc. Similar to what Mass Effect 2 and the cerberus network did.

Either way I expect it to take a while to finish, she's still in conceptual stages and they are more focused on the main 4 right now, as long as I'm getting it free they can take their sweet time.

Apr 09, 12 at 2:12pm
Shadow of Death

Yeah, this is cool. I will still probably be playing Maya as my first character, but maybe she will be my second.

This, on top of POSSIBLY eventually getting the original 4 classes as playable (via paid DLC or not) is all great news.

EDIT: Ded Valve & Bluexy - I hope that it will be free for everyone and available shortly after release, but I have this conflicting report from Gamesradar.

quote Gamesradar
Pandora will play home to a new breed of treasure hunter this fall, as Gearbox revealed it is working on a bonus DLC character class for Borderlands 2, dubbed the Mechromancer.

Gearbox boss Randy Pitchford introduced the pigtailed cyborg class to PAX East attendees this weekend. The early sketches (via GameInformer) reveal a young, redheaded girl outfitted with mechanical body parts and the ability to control a homemade killer robot called D374 -TP (Deathtrap).

Pitchford explained the Mechromancer class is still just a concept right now, but that it will be developed in full once work on the core game is complete. He added the class will likely arrive as DLC a few months after Borderlands 2 launches in September, and that it will be free for fans who pre-order the cel-shaded sequel. For everyone else, the Mechromancer will still be available at the same time, but sold at at a price “comparable to most DLC”.

Touching on the core game itself, Gearbox said Borderlands 2 will ship with character customization gear that must be earned through leveling up and completing various missions and challenges. Unlockables include new costumes, unique heads, and better gear; some of which will be bestowed instantly to players who ransacked their way through the original Borderlands.
EDIT2: Seems that this Kotaku Article backs up Gamesradar's statement. The class will be available 2 to 3 months after the release of the game, and available for people who pre-order and others (implied that those that don't pre-order will have to pay for it).

Plus, it seems that we know what badass points are for now. Unlocking character customization gear.

Apr 09, 12 at 1:34pm
DedValve

My head hurts. Then again Gearbox's admiration and dedication to gamers surprises me again and again and again. Needless to say after this I immediately went from skeptical and trying to not get hyped to pre-order on the collectors edition.

During a PAX East Gearbox panel, a question popped up that most Borderlands fans have thought about, "Will there be a fifth playable class in Borderlands 2?" And when Randy Pitchford replied in the affirmative, it's fair to say most gamers were surprised/worried/suspicious -- what was the catch? Pre-order DLC, day-1 DLC, something gamers will have to pay for? Not at all, apparently. Randy said the current plan was to introduce the Mechromancer post-launch as a free download for all players.

The Mechromancer will fill the Borderlands pet class void. Growing up as a poor, half-robot girl can be difficult, so why not build yourself a Deathtrap companion to ease your loneliness? Sporting red hair and goggles, with a mechanical arm, I almost thought she could be related to the original Borderlands' Siren, but the eyes definitely don't match.

She's still a long way off however, still in conceptual design actually. Gearbox loves to share its fun with fans though, and introducing a character at a PAX panel is quite awesome of them. Announcing they're planning to release her as free DLC is great marketing, to boot. Perhaps to mock Mass Effect 3's day one character DLC, or perhaps just to show they're paying attention to what consumers want, Gearbox took the time to show us something cool they're doing. Gamers remember that sort of thing.
SOURCE

I jizzed. Repeatedly. Now I must clean up.