Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » » » RuneScape » [Update #2] Squeal of Fortune - When you thought it couldn't get much worse... » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Remember GUESTS, to read the RULES.
Please don't double post, flame/spam, post scams or things related to macros around here.

If you are found posting any scam, you WILL be banned without exception.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Apr 02, 12 at 1:08pmZap

quote RuneScape.Com - Rules Rwt Section
We don’t want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn’t affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape.

Squeal of Fortune – Extra Spins

There are new ways to earn additional, free spins through playing RuneScape:
  • Squeal of Fortune prizes: Tickets for two extra spins can be won as prizes on the Squeal of Fortune itself.
  • Monster drops: Most monsters around the world now have a rare chance of dropping a spin ticket (a single-use item that adds an extra spin to your allowance), with the exception of creatures in minigames and Dungeoneering.
  • Non-combat skilling activities: Any activity that can score you a Shattered Heart strange rock also has a separate, rare chance to earn an extra Squeal spin – added right on to your current spin count.
  • Weekly Distractions & Diversions: Each week, one of four D&Ds will give a guaranteed spin for completing a particular action within the D&D. Regular details of which D&D will earn you a weekly spin can be found on the Squeal of Fortune reward screen. The four D&Ds, and the required actions within them, are as follows:
    • Circus: Complete any one of the four performances: Magic, Ranged, Agility or Firemaking.
    • Penguin Hide and Seek: Exchange penguin points for coins or XP by speaking to Larry or Chuck.
    • Evil Tree: Attack the evil tree.
    • Shooting Star: Mine any star, and receive XP from doing so.
    • The Monthly D&D – Troll Invasion: Starting your first Troll Invasion attempt of the month, either as a combatant or a skiller, will earn you an extra Squeal spin.

Being a RuneScape subscriber is another great way to get more chances to win. Members get 2 free daily spins rather than just 1, and have exclusive access to the D&Ds listed above. Also, members have access to 182 great quests!

If you require more spins, or simply prefer to save some time, you can purchase various spin packages. to do this, simply click the "buy spins" button within the Squeal of Fortune interface.

Finally, soon you will also be able to earn free Squeal spins as rewards for completing any quests. The team are working hard on this feature, and we expect to be able to provide it to you before the end of April.

When you spin the Squeal of Fortune, your free, daily spins will be used first, following by the spins you earned through RuneScape game-play. Finally, any purchased spins will always be used last. Here's an insider's tip - if you want to spin faster, just double-click the big, red button to stop the wheel early!

The RuneScape Team

Video showing the potential impact of this update with 75 Spins:
[Features (one sided) commentary]

The updates speaks for itself in what a shocking, and quite frankly a terrible turn in the wrong direction this is for JaGeX, and their deteriorating - if not already non-extinct insight and relationship with their player-base. I could rant much more, but I do not wish to provide too much bias to the opening of this Discussion as it is.
P.S - <3 Justin. <3

What are your thoughts on this? Over to you.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 03, 12 at 9:38pm
Grimdark

quote Horse
quote DC Sniper
Horse
They explained why they implemented these two features. It was so that Jagex actually builds up a 'chest' of extra money rather than living on membership alone and month to month. Also, they've said IVP has no bearing on their decisions and that they let Jagex do as they please (they also said that they had been considering adding a micropayment option as early as 2009).
Fair enough. If they needed cash outside membership prices, they would be stuck in a rut. The only options would be to increase membership prices (yeah, see how that works out for current and potential members) and introducing microtransactions (something which differentiated this game from others).

Either way they were kinda screwed.
Yeah, and they barely make anything from f2p ads.

quote Wyan1234
Horse if you think RuneScape is a grind then ya good job quitting. I still find it fun, especially now that I have a solid DG team.

Also DC Sniper has a point, if you looked at one of their livestreams, they said that all the money from spins and Solomons are going into a seperate fund do some huge projects (I think thats what the fund was for, it was something good I remember).
Well sure but it's all a grind. Dg is the known exception to that grind iirc.

Yes to the latter.

Oct 03, 12 at 9:36pm
Horse

quote DC Sniper
Horse
They explained why they implemented these two features. It was so that Jagex actually builds up a 'chest' of extra money rather than living on membership alone and month to month. Also, they've said IVP has no bearing on their decisions and that they let Jagex do as they please (they also said that they had been considering adding a micropayment option as early as 2009).
Fair enough. If they needed cash outside membership prices, they would be stuck in a rut. The only options would be to increase membership prices (yeah, see how that works out for current and potential members) and introducing microtransactions (something which differentiated this game from others).

Either way they were kinda screwed.

Wyan1234 I was never a member. Karamja Moss Giants got a bit old. I still do log on for the holiday events, since they are a once in a lifetime thing.

Oct 03, 12 at 9:35pm
Wyan1234

Horse if you think RuneScape is a grind then ya good job quitting. I still find it fun, especially now that I have a solid DG team.

Also DC Sniper has a point, if you looked at one of their livestreams, they said that all the money from spins and Solomons are going into a seperate fund do some huge projects (I think thats what the fund was for, it was something good I remember).

Oct 03, 12 at 9:33pm
Grimdark

Horse

Oct 03, 12 at 8:39pm
Horse

quote DC Sniper
quote Wyan1234
Not saying bonus experience weekends were perfect, but they're definitely better than what we have now. If you think RS is a grind, don't force yourself to play it. Trust me I know it can be a grind, I had post max syndrome for the whole summer lol
Runescape = Grind
Wyan1234, that's why I stopped playing.

Can't blame people for simply spending money on spins and gaining hundreds of thousands of experience when the alternative is a seemingly endless amount of grinding.

However...in my opinion, those who actually did spend money on this Squeal of RWT, you guys are sad, sad people. People rejected it as RWT, there was an uproar about it, but guess what? The same people who complained were the ones who bought spins. It worked for Jagex, they made (and are still making) a shit-ton of money from it, so why remove it? While the previous owners (correct me if I'm wrong, I've heard the company is pretty much controlled by shareholders now) actually cared about the game and the players, but with shareholders demanding a return on investment, the attitude is "Well, *bleep* the players. We could care less, as long as we get our profit."

Oct 02, 12 at 8:55am
Unseen Steal

This thread is getting less and less about the actual content. If this continues I'm just going to lock the thread. Keep it on topic please

Oct 02, 12 at 12:57am
Grimdark

Lol you're still responding.

Oct 02, 12 at 12:05am
Coercion

quote DC Sniper
n ad hominem (Latin for "to the man"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or unrelated belief of the person supporting it.[1] Ad hominem reasoning is normally described as a logical fallacy,[2][3][4] more precisely an informal fallacy and an irrelevance.[5]
What an accurate description of your posts.

Because it doesn't affect you, you act like it doesn't affect anyone.

Oct 01, 12 at 11:26pm
Grimdark

quote Wyan1234
Not saying bonus experience weekends were perfect, but they're definitely better than what we have now. If you think RS is a grind, don't force yourself to play it. Trust me I know it can be a grind, I had post max syndrome for the whole summer lol
Runescape = Grind
That's just the joke about it, but remember, we're all here forever.

Are you saying its fair of jagex to ignore high leveled players? I'm 2485 total which is just 11 levels from max yet I'm still rank 5000 or so. I'd consider a high leveled player 2300 total or higher, and there's a lot of players at that or above.
No, but I see it akin to how they're handling the new series of novice quests. They're remaking or releasing new questlines (Song from the Depths, Carnillean Rising, Stolen Hearts, and probably a couple others) that are designed for novices/new players (which is a great way of pulling new members in) while having high-leveled player rewards such as the bonus Constitution experience, the experience lamps, and the Agility+Mining rewards for Stolen Hearts. Infact, I believe they're doing a similar thing with the Doric's Quest remake and Festival of the Dead.

I agree that 1m likely can't compare but 10 hours (even after 10 hours, you still have a 1.1x modifier) of nonstop playing (bankstanding is xp waste etc) is draining and it was a pseudo-bot nuke to the economy. This was likely just a small sample of what they'll do (maybe we'll get more experience based on join date/total xp/total level for future events etc).

quote Coercion
I'm done going in circles with a hypocritical one-sided person who still fails to recognize my point and continues to rant about whatever I say even though it is irrelevant to anything I said.

When did I ever say that my posts here would effect Jagex's decisions about SoF? This is a forum where you discuss things fool.

n ad hominem (Latin for "to the man"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or unrelated belief of the person supporting it.[1] Ad hominem reasoning is normally described as a logical fallacy,[2][3][4] more precisely an informal fallacy and an irrelevance.[5]

Oct 01, 12 at 10:53pm
Coercion

quote DC Sniper
It's pretty illogical to assume you speak for everyone when you say that "everyone" wants SoF removed.
quote DC Sniper
I think I speak for everyone in the forum when I say that people are tired of seeing you bitch and moan like a little toddler.
I'm done going in circles with a hypocritical one-sided person who still fails to recognize my point and continues to rant about whatever I say even though it is irrelevant to anything I said.

When did I ever say that my posts here would effect Jagex's decisions about SoF? This is a forum where you discuss things fool.