Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » The Lobby » All Red Meat Is Bad For You » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.Note: The ethos of the forum we're attempting to cultivate is one of mutual respect for each other as well as the promotion of interesting conversation in a mature, yet casual, environment. We ask posters to keep this aim in mind whenever making a contribution here.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Mar 13, 12 at 10:21pmEnhance

Eating red meat — any amount and any type — appears to significantly increase the risk of premature death, according to a long-range study that examined the eating habits and health of more than 110,000 adults for more than 20 years.

For instance, adding just one 3-ounce serving of unprocessed red meat — picture a piece of steak no bigger than a deck of cards — to one's daily diet was associated with a 13% greater chance of dying during the course of the study.

Even worse, adding an extra daily serving of processed red meat, such as a hot dog or two slices of bacon, was linked to a 20% higher risk of death during the study.

"Any red meat you eat contributes to the risk," said An Pan, a postdoctoral fellow at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston and lead author of the study, published online Monday in the Archives of Internal Medicine.

Crunching data from thousands of questionnaires that asked people how frequently they ate a variety of foods, the researchers also discovered that replacing red meat with other foods seemed to reduce mortality risk for study participants.

Eating a serving of nuts instead of beef or pork was associated with a 19% lower risk of dying during the study. The team said choosing poultry or whole grains as a substitute was linked with a 14% reduction in mortality risk; low-fat dairy or legumes, 10%; and fish, 7%.

Previous studies had associated red meat consumption with diabetes, heart disease and cancer, all of which can be fatal. Scientists aren't sure exactly what makes red meat so dangerous, but the suspects include the iron and saturated fat in beef, pork and lamb, the nitrates used to preserve them, and the chemicals created by high-temperature cooking.

The Harvard researchers hypothesized that eating red meat would also be linked to an overall risk of death from any cause, Pan said. And the results suggest they were right: Among the 37,698 men and 83,644 women who were tracked, as meat consumption increased, so did mortality risk.

In separate analyses of processed and unprocessed meats, the group found that both types appear to hasten death. Pan said that at the outset, he and his colleagues had thought it likely that only processed meat posed a health danger.
Rest of the article at the source.

Study seems to be pretty thorough and was run for more than 20 years. I don't really know how I feel about this. I'm a big red meat guy and will have usually have red meat at least once a day for either lunch or dinner. Interesting that while they do note that it can increase premature death by 13% - 20% it doesn't really specify the difference in lifespan between a person who does and a person who doesn't eat red meat.

Doubt I will change my eating habits but this is definitely food for thought. Any of you guys actually worried about things like this or just going to keep eating what you are eating?

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Jun 18, 12 at 3:31pm
MickeyBlueEyes

According to this article, I should be dead by midnight tonight due to the amount of red meat I consumed yesterday for Father's Day.

In all honesty though, I have been dwelling pretty hard lately on totally cutting down on the amount of meat I eat. I don't eat ridiculous amounts, but I always feel better after I eat something lighter like seafood or vegetarian. I did cut down quite a bit for a while, even on poultry, but habits pick back up.

Jun 18, 12 at 9:04am
Mister MacPhisto

My grandfather loved his steaks, burgers, and hot dogs. AND shit like liver loaf.

And lived to be 85.

Jun 17, 12 at 9:50pm
Roy

I was just posting that so I wouldn't get corrected by the health fanatics that would say "ignore this person's information, he doesn't know what he's talking about", cause I know what I am talking about!

Jun 17, 12 at 7:45pm
Metalraiders

quote Roy
This all goes back to eating in moderation. It takes a few weeks (depending on the size of the steak) to fully process out of your system (minus the excretion). If you have it once or twice a month you should be fine, but don't overindulge or eat so many days of red meat.

Eating in moderation?,Sir,have you ever seen an American eat?

Jun 17, 12 at 3:03pm
Chobi

I don't eat any animal products whatsoever, and my health has improved tenfold because of it. I have tons of energy and generally feel awesome. Factory farming is just disgusting and is the primary reason why I quit eating animal flesh. My health improving is just an added benefit. :0)

Jun 17, 12 at 11:14am
lillythebee

Great topic about red meat, I'm going to become a pollotarian!

Solely for health reasons. I know eating red meat isn’t that great for me to be eating, but it can be a lot of help if you are anemic and you need iron rich foods like red meat. But turkey and chicken are pretty healthy (and now that I’m working out a lot I’ll need to be eating a shit load of protein anyways).
I was a vegetarian for about 5 months a few years back but I got super-sick from it so I know I can’t go without all meat. So I’m just cutting out all those little piggies and cows. It’s not so much a moral-type thing (I think humans worked too hard to get to the top of the food chain to not eat meat) as an I-don’t-think-red-meat-is-something-I-personally-want-to-eat thing.

I don’t wanna hear any shit about how it’s “not vegetarianism”. I know it isn’t, I’m not saying it is, even slightly. But “pollo-vegetarianism/pollotarianism” the only way to describe how the only meat I’ll eat is poultry!

So now I don’t consume any dairy due to lactose-intolerance and I don’t eat and red meat due to personal choice. I’m sure my family will be thrilled.

Apr 01, 12 at 5:29am
ditto

Ah I just ordered a medium-well steak last night that turned out redder than my friends medium-rare. This is exactly the kind of thread I needed to see this morning.

Mar 26, 12 at 9:39pm
Roy

The possibility of cell phones causing cancer is probably due to the micro waves in the cell phone. Red meat isn't bad for you of course, if it is taken in moderation and you don't overdo it whenever you have it. As time goes on people are going to keep doing studies to support or nonsupport it through correlation and causation.

Mar 26, 12 at 3:00pm
Lesley Pro_04

quote Kjgmusic
It truly is frustrating, the endless studies reporting that everything we do is deadly. In some cases, awareness is good (e.g., wear sunscreen), but in other cases, the scare tactics are just pointless and unnecessary (e.g., cellphones cause cancer). This is why I generally avoid the media.
I think they need to take a look at the cellphones cause cancer theory on Mythbusters. At least then the theory might be proven as bullshit (which is what I think this theory is). Hey, they proved that cellphones don't cause explosions at gas stations, so why not take this theory on?

Seriously, red meat isn't that bad for you, unless your beliefs are on par with that of someone from PETA or Daniel Bryan.

Mar 25, 12 at 5:49am
Kjgmusic

quote In Motion
I knew I'd seen this headline earlier - here's a "reply" to the study by Livestrong.com: Link.
Emberguard, read the article in the quote that rebuts this study.

It truly is frustrating, the endless studies reporting that everything we do is deadly. In some cases, awareness is good (e.g., wear sunscreen), but in other cases, the scare tactics are just pointless and unnecessary (e.g., cellphones cause cancer). This is why I generally avoid the media.