Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Hardware, Builds and Overclocking » Upgrading RAM [Compatibility Question] » Post Reply

Note to Guests: Advertising of any kind is not allowed in these forums!If you fix your problem on your own, please post a message describing how you fixed the issue so that others with a similar problem can use your method to fix their issue.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Mar 05, 12 at 7:07pm
ashantiqua

they should be compatible. if they vary in anything, like timings, all installed RAM will use the specs of the slowest RAM. sometimes if you use RAM with different specs, the computer might default to lower than stock speeds, so just be sure to check your bios and run the RAM at ddr3 1600.

as for your mobo's ram sockets, the colors are there because your mobo supports dual-channel mode for RAM; if you only have two sticks, you should put each stick in the same colored slot.

you have 3 sticks, so theres an issue: all 3 sticks will work together, giving you 12GB total, however since you are using an *odd* number of RAM sticks (dual channel mode requires an *even* number of RAM sticks, and each stick must be the same capacity), your RAM will not be running in dual channel mode. whats this means:

either you...
-use all your RAM, yielding 12GB, and dont use dual channel mode
or
-use only your new RAM, yielding 8GB, and have it running in dual channel mode, which effectively doubled your RAM bandwidth.

so you ultimately have two choices:
-12GB, at half the maximum bandwidth
or
-8GB, at max bandwidth

RAM is easy to install, so maybe try both configs to see which you like better.

if youre having issues with the RAM installation, dont worry. sometimes getting the edges of the RAM all the way in so the brackets can properly lock can take a decent amount of force. thats normal and you wont break anything, as long as youre pushing directly down, and not at an angle. give it all the force it needs, just back off if the RAM stick starts to bend or warp. the gold 'pins' at the bottom arent actually pins in the traditional sense... just gold contacts on a pcb board, which is pretty sturdy by itself. sometimes its easier to push in one side of the RAM and then do the other. youll have to do a fairly retarded job to actually damage the RAM itself.

and be sure to ground yourself / discharge any static electricity from your body before you put in the RAM. rarely causes a problem, but if it does, it can kill the hardware. also dont have the computer plugged in when youre installing anything, ha.

Mar 05, 12 at 7:05pm
Chekkaa

If they're the same type, they *should* work together. Note that if you mix RAM of different speeds/timings, then ALL the RAM will run at the speeds and timings of the slowest stick. It will still work though. It likely doesn't matter which slots they go into in this situation, but I personally would stick the two identical sticks into slots of the same color.

And as long as you pulled out the locking mechanisms on the ends of the RAM slots, the sticks should slide in, pushing the locking mechanisms back inward with an audible click. Sometimes you do have to push really hard. It *shouldn't* break anything. Of course, I don't take any responsibility for anything that may or may not break though.

Mar 06, 12 at 2:16am
xTalina

I already have 4GB of Corsair Vengeance [Black in color, 1x4], and I just bought 8GB [2x4 Red in color] and was wondering if they are compatible with each other [Both are 1.5V, 1600 DIMMs, DDR3, etc]. My motherboard is an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO.

What I'm really trying to ask is - which order do I put the sticks in? There's 4 slots [2 black, 2 blue], and I think the general rule of thumb is there should be a space between each stick, but I have 3 sticks in total.

This is probably a really stupid question, but I just want to make sure that when I boot up my system, I wont kill everyone in a mass explosion [LOL].

Also, I'm having trouble actually installing the RAM; I don't want to push down too hard so I don't bend the pins, but the brackets wont lock into place properly.

My current specs:
CM Storm Scout Chassis
Raidmax 550W PSU
Phenom II x4 965 BE @ 3.4GHz Deneb
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
4GB of Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz
Sapphire Radeon 5670 512MB
Seagate Barracuda 320GB HDD 7200 RPM
Win7 Ultimate