Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » The Lobby » Tornados: At Least 28 Dead Across US States » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.Note: The ethos of the forum we're attempting to cultivate is one of mutual respect for each other as well as the promotion of interesting conversation in a mature, yet casual, environment. We ask posters to keep this aim in mind whenever making a contribution here.
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Mar 03, 12 at 5:53pmDynamite

It seems the tornado season has started and is already claiming the lives of people across the US.

quote BBC News
A series of powerful storms and tornadoes have killed at least 28 people in the US states of Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio, officials say.

Local police confirmed that at least 13 people died as tornadoes swept across three counties in Indiana.

Twelve more died in Kentucky, with two fatalities in Ohio. Earlier, tornadoes hit Alabama, killing one person.
Read more at source: At least 28 dead as tornadoes sweep across US states

Any 'seekers in any of the tornado-hit areas of the US? Or anyone here who has experience of being in a tornado with stories to share? I've never been in one personally, just mild earthquakes which didn't have much impact. While our weather in the UK is bad, thankfully we very seldom have these sorts of events.

I'd have thought they'd be quite sufficient warning leading up to a tornado, so I'm always surprised to see a high death toll. Are people a little too stubborn sometimes and just not heed the warnings? I know I'd be outta here pretty fast if I heard one was heading my way!

I've seen some shows about "storm chasers" who purposefully go after tornados in order to take pics and videos, etc. While the footage sure is impressive in some cases, I'll never truly understand why these guys risk their lives to do it. Perhaps it's the thrill of it or something. Think I'll stick to observing on TV, that's enough excitement for me.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Mar 04, 12 at 6:32am
Kokoro

I've never experienced a tornado, thankfully. However, there's been reports of a tornado being in my city a few months back. I remember being pretty scared about that, but at least it didn't come to the part where I live.

Mar 04, 12 at 12:44am
Scarchelli

Yeah, tornado season is pretty bad this year. I fortunately have never been a tornado (live right outside Chicago), but even seeing people on TV who have experienced them is crazy.

I really think a lot of people are stubborn about it; I think it goes into the houses being made of wood and not other materials that are suited for tornadoes better. Although, I think the main reason for this is the price. Wood is probably cheaper. Also, if a tornado hits your house, I think you're screwed either way. If it's going to happen, they probably figure it's better to save money on their house since it's going to be destroyed, anyway.

They definitely do it for the trill, something I don't understand. Once people get into stuff like that, they get a big rush off of doing it again and again. The question is, why would they do it in the first place, lol?

Mar 04, 12 at 12:25am
DjedwardSmith

Why do an awful lot of the houses in notoriously-prone-to-tornado-areas seem to be made of wood with little to no foundations?

Mar 03, 12 at 11:20pm
Adrienne

The reason people don't evacuate is that a tornado can quickly change its path. It is recommended that you take shelter in a basement or other safe place, rather than evacuate.

I have never been in a tornado, but have had plenty of tornado warnings while I lived in upstate NY (although it is rare to see tornadoes there). I have seen lots of news stories about the aftermath of a tornade, it's quite a disaster.

Mar 03, 12 at 11:11pm
Fluidity

Tornadoes scare the shit out of me. Thankfully I have never experienced one because I live in a valley surrounded by mountains.

My boyfriend and his family went down to Florida around this time last year and just missed a tornado by a few hours or so that killed a small number of people. They drove passed a town that was being evacuated and everything. I almost took a heart attack. ;_;

Mar 03, 12 at 9:48pm
LOD-squa

This is sad. I think it's really scary when you see things like this because any day it could just happen. One time when I was in middle school I saw a tornado trying to get started around the track field behind the school. All we did was just sit there and stared at the leaves go in circles.

I live in Florida so I have to put up with Hurricanes and the possibility of tornados come out of them. It's scary really.

The whole storm chasers thing is freaking ridiculous. I don't know how they are willing to do these things and risk their lives just to obtain footage of this. Like you said Dynamite I will stick to the sidelines and watch it from tv.

Mar 03, 12 at 9:20pm
Kubrick

Never experinced a tornado. haven't really been in anything, haha. We just had a minor flood in the couple of days with the non-stop rain, but that's as extreme as it goes. *shrug*

Mar 03, 12 at 8:58pm
Darknet

Torando hit no more than a couple of blocks away from my house. That's the mid west for ya...

Mar 03, 12 at 8:27pm
thewatermeloncult

That's sad. I remember tornadoes in Lethbridge once but I don't think anyone got hurt. We had a lot of wildfires in Alberta last year though.

Mar 03, 12 at 5:59pm
Efflorescence

We were hit pretty badly with it ourselves. We took Bosley, my Labrador into the basement, and he's not usually allowed there, as he has a tendency to shed hair everywhere.
It was really quite bad though, and we're around the outskirts of those areas. A trampoline down the street was literally picked up! We're all fine, now though, and it passed in a half hour or so.