Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » Music » Grimes » Post Reply

hideOriginal Post

Mar 01, 12 at 7:35amSlangX

quote Bio
Claire Boucher (born March 17, 1988), also known as Grimes, is a Canadian Montreal-based musician, artist and music video director who sings and plays keyboards.

Boucher was born and raised in Vancouver, British Columbia. She graduated from Lord Byng Secondary School and moved to Montreal, Quebec where she began to record and perform under the name Grimes. She attended Montreal's McGill University but was expelled for missing over a year's worth of classes.

Grimes debut album, Geidi Primes, was released on cassette in 2010 through Arbutus Records. Later in 2010, Grimes released her second album, Halfaxa, also through Arbutus. In 2011, Grimes released a split 12” with D’eon titled Darkbloom. In May 2011 she opened for Lykke Li on her North American Tour and the following August, her debut album was re-released through No Pain in Pop Records, in CD and vinyl format for the first time. Also in 2011, she made an appearance on Majical Cloudz's single "Dream World" and collaborated with DJ/producer Blood Diamonds.

Grimes announced on her Twitter, in January 2012 that she had signed with record label 4AD. The label released her third full-length LP, Visions, in February 2012 in the United States and March 2012 in other countries with Arbutus releasing in Canada. Upon release, Pitchfork Media listed her 2012 album, Visions, under their Best New Music category.

Discography

Geidi Primes (2010); Halfaxa (2011)

Visions (2012)

Grimes is one of the strongest singular musical visionists to emerge from Canada in quite some time, and her third album Visions, arguably her most accomplished work to date, is a real treat. Reminiscent of the soft and glitchy melodies of Kraftwerk while mixing in the saccharine pop sensibilities and vocals of Cocteau Twins, Grimes gives us an album full of dreamy hooks and boundless energy. And who doesn't love the Dune references from her first album?

She's definitely one to watch for this year; highly recommended!

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Dec 30, 12 at 5:33am
orion chuzzlewitt

Really interesting read...

Apr 28, 12 at 6:12am
orion chuzzlewitt

Saw her performing Genesis on Jools Holland the other day and decided to check the album out. Generally very impressed (definitely get what she means in the interview about it being headphone music). I dunno, its sort of part Enya, part James Pants, part La Roux without the annoying bits. Personally I do kind of like the rough-and-readiness of the production as it adds of the charm of the record but you can see the potential is there for greater things.

Apr 24, 12 at 7:39am
judaspriest

Deathgrips is utterly horrendous. A story that should be left alone.

Grimes is nice, just listened to Visions and yeah as said, Oblivion is the stand out for me. Some other sweet tracks on there too.

Can't beat Nardwuar!

Wierd how different she looks in those two interviews...

Apr 18, 12 at 3:39am
ejaculadhesive

A friend was just flaunting Deathgrips to me today. But that's another story.

I'm in agreeance with Icedevil here, her album was kinda flaccid but her voice is lovely. It's begging to be remixed into a buncha crappy dubstep songs really.

Apr 17, 12 at 11:41am
Lupin3rd

Made a purchase of Visions today, I was juggling that and the Shins, maybe I should have bought both: decisions. As it stands this shit is a goshdarn burner.

Getting Drive vibes, the best vibes. Brings out the Deathgrips in me.

The only problem is now I have to delve deeper into the collection and that's currency for an honest lady.

Mar 06, 12 at 3:48pm
Matty

Really enjoying Grimes at the moment. Oblivion is really infectious. And I've listened to Genesis and Vanessa a good bit too. Going to listen to the rest of the album at some point soon I spos!

Mar 01, 12 at 6:38pm
SlangX

quote Icedevil
I just can't get over the fact how amateurish some of her synths sound, not to mention dat drum machine that is devoid of all emotion.
I believe the culprit would be her usage of the consumer-friendly program Garage Band to create her albums thus far. It's definitely no substitute for the XX's MPC/Kaoss pad, but it just kind of works for me in conjunction with everything else.

Mar 01, 12 at 3:00pm
Icedevil

Gave the latest couple of spins this week. Some gems on it like Oblivion and Genesis, but apart from those the rest sounds a bit aimless and just rides on the one hook without going anywhere. I just can't get over the fact how amateurish some of her synths sound, not to mention dat drum machine that is devoid of all emotion. By far the best thing on the album are her vocals. Would love to see what she can do with a decent music producer because this has some interesting ideas.

Mar 01, 12 at 2:32pm
killer iPod

She needs to sort her hair out.

Mar 01, 12 at 7:35am
SlangX

quote Bio
Claire Boucher (born March 17, 1988), also known as Grimes, is a Canadian Montreal-based musician, artist and music video director who sings and plays keyboards.

Boucher was born and raised in Vancouver, British Columbia. She graduated from Lord Byng Secondary School and moved to Montreal, Quebec where she began to record and perform under the name Grimes. She attended Montreal's McGill University but was expelled for missing over a year's worth of classes.

Grimes debut album, Geidi Primes, was released on cassette in 2010 through Arbutus Records. Later in 2010, Grimes released her second album, Halfaxa, also through Arbutus. In 2011, Grimes released a split 12” with D’eon titled Darkbloom. In May 2011 she opened for Lykke Li on her North American Tour and the following August, her debut album was re-released through No Pain in Pop Records, in CD and vinyl format for the first time. Also in 2011, she made an appearance on Majical Cloudz's single "Dream World" and collaborated with DJ/producer Blood Diamonds.

Grimes announced on her Twitter, in January 2012 that she had signed with record label 4AD. The label released her third full-length LP, Visions, in February 2012 in the United States and March 2012 in other countries with Arbutus releasing in Canada. Upon release, Pitchfork Media listed her 2012 album, Visions, under their Best New Music category.

Discography

Geidi Primes (2010); Halfaxa (2011)

Visions (2012)

Grimes is one of the strongest singular musical visionists to emerge from Canada in quite some time, and her third album Visions, arguably her most accomplished work to date, is a real treat. Reminiscent of the soft and glitchy melodies of Kraftwerk while mixing in the saccharine pop sensibilities and vocals of Cocteau Twins, Grimes gives us an album full of dreamy hooks and boundless energy. And who doesn't love the Dune references from her first album?

She's definitely one to watch for this year; highly recommended!