Thread titleFromLast replied
Now searching...
Neoseeker Forums » » General PSP » Will PS Vita kill the PSP? » Post Reply

Note to Guests: For the enjoyment of other visitors, and to help keep this forum tidy and working smoothly, please make sure you search the forum before posting your question.PSP Media Guide .:: Ultimate Homebrew Guide
REPLY TO A THREAD
Name:* Members, please LOGIN before posting
Email: We use this to display your Gravatar

Sign in with
Subject:*

HTML is not allowed
markup is allowed

Help with markup tags

Enabling Buttons in IE7

Smilies:
  ·all smilies here
:) :P ;) :( :| ;( :D :confused: :cool: :# :o ^_^ :colored: :thick:

hideOriginal Post

Feb 28, 12 at 5:56ammaimed88

Apologies if there is a thread already like this, I could not find one in the search however. I was wanting to know what will happen to the PSP. Now that it has been replaced by Vita, will Sony continue to support this hardware (e.g. through new games, PS3 compatibility etc), or will it completely drop off?

If anyone can direct me (via links etc) to any credible websites that shed any light on this, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Recap (last 10 posts from newest to oldest)

Oct 30, 12 at 9:09am
StereoSushiNL

PSVita is kinda meh imo. I played Uncharted but didn't like it at all (and I LOVE the PS3 titles)..
The only game that looked really cool was Gravity Rush but the controls are a bitch..

I still have my good ol PSP and still use it every now and then.
It's good to hear that it still has a bit of support.
As for japanese games, just use CFW. If a game gets it's release in europe then i'm buying the UMD disc but I'm not willing to pay 2/3 times as much for a import game.
I just download it with a patch if available..

(FYI, I do not support pirating games but sometimes you just have no other choice :/)

Oct 29, 12 at 8:27pm
Ville_Valo

quote TisPsychoMan
The reason for this is cos there's still MILLIONS of moneyless gamers(like me) who can't afford the vita.
Well that's ridiculous. There's also MILLIONS of cashed-up gamers (like me) who can afford a Vita.

Oct 27, 12 at 4:05pm
Duncan Idaho

quote TisPsychoMan
Did PS3 kill the PS2? NO. I won't buy a Vita unless they make it free(who wouldn't?lol). Sony will continue to support it for probably about a year unless no one decides to buy the vita anymore or something. The reason for this is cos there's still MILLIONS of moneyless gamers(like me) who can't afford the vita. Or some people think that the vita is just an uninteresting tweaking of the PSP and would rather save up for something a bit more worthwile, e.g. a silver slim PS2.
The problem is that the PS3 eventually got support, like a few months after it launched it started picking up, but the VITA is nearly out for a year already and it hasnt picked up at all, not to mention it has a poor third party support and a so so first party support

Oct 17, 12 at 10:46am
TisPsychoMan

Did PS3 kill the PS2? NO. I won't buy a Vita unless they make it free(who wouldn't?lol). Sony will continue to support it for probably about a year unless no one decides to buy the vita anymore or something. The reason for this is cos there's still MILLIONS of moneyless gamers(like me) who can't afford the vita. Or some people think that the vita is just an uninteresting tweaking of the PSP and would rather save up for something a bit more worthwile, e.g. a silver slim PS2.

Aug 08, 12 at 4:11pm
Duncan Idaho

quote Rabla
i digress, but i cant elaborate futher horrible day and too tired.

Aug 08, 12 at 8:43am
Rabla

quote Duncan Idaho
i doubt the vita will be supported for much longer and sony will be back to the PSP that or whidraw from the business of gaming.
ppffffffftttttt

no.

Vita is picking up momentum and gaining support and titles. Sony is not just going to throw away this much tech and go back to what is a dead platform in 90% of the planet. Sony isn't going to withdraw from gaming any time soon either.

Aug 07, 12 at 11:50pm
Duncan Idaho

i have played with a vita, a friend of mine lend me his for an hour or so, i must say it's too much of a monster for any one, touch+rumble+syaxis system is a bit of an overkill not to mention it's twice as big as a PSP and twice as heavy, the PSP is lovley since it's compatc and easy to carry in and out.

checking via google results seem bad this page for example points out it has sold lowly globally 620.000 units and in japan about 400.000 units, selling that low isnt positive when the 3DS sold 3.000.000 on it's first week, not to mention the PSP still outsells the vita, i doubt the vita will be supported for much longer and sony will be back to the PSP that or whidraw from the business of gaming.

Jun 22, 12 at 7:15pm
daveyd

#1. Vita games are avaiable in both physical and digital download formats. The physical releases are in a new format- it's a media card similar to what the DS / 3DS use. Since the Vita has no UMD drive, if you want to play PSP games you have to download them from the PSN Vita Store.

And of course, since the Vita has no internal memory, you'll need to buy memory cards and has sufficient space for any Vita / PSP games you download.

That's the only question I can answer since I don't own one yet

Jun 22, 12 at 6:11pm
Hashim

Regarding the PSP Vita - I'm actually not clued up on it at all tbh, but I want to be, as my PSP atm, provided I manage to unbrick it, is nearing the end of its lifetime, and at first glance, the Vita looks pretty cool.

Is it?

A couple questions to those who own one, please.

1. What format are games in? Physical, digital? Before it was released, I think I remember hearing the UMD format would be replaced. Has it been, and if so, with what? If it has, then I also read earlier in this thread that PSP games can still be played on the Vita - how does this work?

2. What's the screen like? In terms of quality, and especially reflectiveness against sun and stuff like that. Does it play just as well as in really light conditions as well as dark?

3. How would you rate the Vita aesthetics- and feel-wise? How does it feel to hold and play, is it heavy, light, or just right?

And finally, the ultimate question.

4. Will it be possible to homebrew it, and how soon, if so? Is there already homebrew for it? Do you see there being a homebrew possibility for it, or have Sony dealt a blow to the PS homebrew community when it comes to the Vita?

Those are a few questions I have. I'll probably think up more soon.

And yes, I'm aware I might seem a bit overly pedantic here, but heck, if I'm going to be pay £100 upwards for any gadget, I'm sure as heck gonna find out whether it's worth doing first.

Jun 13, 12 at 11:26am
daveyd

Aksys just announced today that they are localizing Ragnarok Tactics: Princess of Light and Darkness.